Walking with Jesus: 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time A
For Sunday, October 4, 2026
Isaiah 5:1-7, Philippians 4:6-9, Matthew 21:33-43
What has my life been like? Interesting — I could answer that it’s been great, but then, if I was totally honest, I might qualify that. Lately I’ve been aware of people’s kindness — lately I’ve been aware of people hurting others — lately I’ve been aware of people not caring — lately I’ve been aware of what happens when envy, jealousy, anger seem to be the “be all and end all” of people’s lives. But lately I’ve also been aware of how beautiful and life-changing love can be when people care and give and help those in need. It makes Bishop Fulton Sheen’s TV program and life motto, “Life is Worth Living,” understandable and fulfilling!
In studying Scripture we know that the prophets are known for delivering harsh rebukes and warnings to God’s people. We hear this in Isaiah’s prophecy today; we hear it in Jesus’ parable in the Gospel ... and we have also noticed it frequently in our own lives. These stories seem to be “bad news” for their audiences and for us; we just don’t see the “good endings” in life stories. Yet good news comes today: The greedy tenants are put to wretched deaths for their unfaithfulness, and the vineyard that produces bad grapes is left to die. When we look at these events from this perspective, these “warnings” appear repeatedly throughout Scripture. Just look at the landlord in today’s Gospel who was offered three messengers, one of whom was the landowner’s only Son: The tenants had the chance to soften their hearts and repent. So what is God telling us today?
Throughout Scripture we find parables and allegories with disguised meanings that provide a twist that can surprise, disorient and reorient the listener, and us too, into reevaluating our thoughts. Isaiah does exactly that today: He’s writing to the leaders and people of the southern kingdom of Judah, who have failed to live up to the social and ethical standards of God. Isn’t there a way to help those who are hurting? They have been unfaithful … the land has been devastated … they are told to stop complaining and move on with their lives. Maybe the land is incapable of delivering a fruitful harvest due to pests or whatever, so move on … help and response is needed for those who are hurting, and it can come from those who can help and have the means to do so.
Paul echoes this to the Philippians: Look at what has happened in your history, both good and bad. How did you solve these problems? Paul is responding in a positive, self-help manner by looking at programs, practices and, especially, attitudes that have reshaped the ugly times. Keep in mind the encouragement needed in times of anxiety, and resort to confidence in God’s presence and care. This doesn’t mean that anxiety will be relieved, but openness to God in prayer will help. It shows God is in control and is the giver of peace — if only they will offer the kind of assistance to each other that perpetuates help and neighborliness.
Matthew emphasizes how Jesus addresses this issue head-on by challenging the leaders. There is a longstanding tradition in which the People of God are characterized as a vineyard with God being the owner — and the leaders are the tenants’ vinedressers to whom the vineyard is leased. Throughout history, the people have refused to listen to the prophets reminding them of God’s ways. Here in Jesus’ scenario the owner, God, has sent His only Son, Jesus, with divine authority — and the leaders have put Him to death. Jesus then does the unexpected and turns to the leaders, asking them to provide a legal ruling on the situation. They must realize the parable is displaying their resistance to God’s plans. It is the leaders — not the entire people — who are condemned by Jesus. Yet how can “ordinary” folks go against those in power? Thus fear reigns.
When we look inward we can see these metaphors in ourselves. There are times when — regardless of what God seems to be doing for us — we simply go our own way, against God’s plans. I will not serve, I will do what I want. Today’s psalm calls us to repent and hope. Do we ask for help?
So I reflect on:
- Why does God trust me to care for His creation? What does this tell me about God?
- After His resurrection, Jesus entrusted His flock to Peter and us. Do I trust others the way God trusts me? Why? Why not?
Sacred Space 2026 states:
“When the landlord’s away the tenants may not pay and forget to pray. We conjure up a blessing for those whose sense of Your presence is very slight and who have difficulty catching sight even of Your shadow. We also send out a blessing ahead of us asking that the ground upon which we arrive may be made as fertile as possible.”
Comments
Post a Comment