Walking with Jesus: 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time A

For Sunday, August 23, 2026

Isaiah 22:19-23, Romans 11:33-36, Matthew 16:13-20


Throughout most of our lifetimes we have held, at one time or another, a position of authority — and we have exercised this with the phrase, “I am your father (or mother)” … “I am the teacher, you are the student” … “I am the one in charge, you are not.” Finding ourselves on the receiving end of these admonishments was usually unpleasant ... we were “downgraded”“too big for our britches” ... “journeyed beyond our roles.” Uncomfortable? Yes ... but educational, and the lessons learned were important. In the history of the Old Testament and God’s covenant, this lesson was point-blank: “I will be your God, you will be My people.” God reiterates His eternal promise to be close, caring and loving to His followers. This phrase is repeated throughout the Bible: 

“I will take you as My own people, and I will be your God.” [Exodus 6:7]
“So you will be My people, and I will be Your God.” [Jeremiah 30:22]
“You will live in the land I gave your ancestors, you will be my people, and I will be Your God.” [Ezekiel 36:28]
“I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God and they will be My people.” [2 Corinthians 6:16]
“God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.” [Revelation 21:3]

Today’s Gospel passage asks the foundational Christological question for Jesus Himself: Who do people say that the Son of Man is? … But who do you say that I am? [Matthew 16:13, 15]

It’s easy to gloss over this passage because it seems so obvious: God told His chosen people, “I will be Your God.” So what is the nature of this relationship? God is more a title than a name. There are attached roles and responsibilities, and it comes back to me ... and my response. We hear, “Well, I don’t believe” … “He doesn’t answer my prayers” … “I don’t like the situation the world is in” … “I don’t like the situation I am in” … “I just can’t believe in heaven” … “I do what I want to do” … “I like it this way.” Just because I don’t believe doesn’t mean God doesn’t exist. Am I placing myself in a position higher than God? It sounds like it!

Isaiah was a court prophet during the years of the great king Hezekiah. Now leadership among the Israelites was a most important position. Those in office had religious as well as political responsibilities. Today’s first reading describes the transfer of authority from one man to another. The exchange appears to happen forcibly, so honor and shame are probably involved. The passage depicts a future time involving the royal house of David, suggesting messianic connotations. Will the people listen? Will they realize that God is in charge and that God cares and God loves? This is a good reflective question for each of us.

Paul continues his advice to the Romans that God is in charge and has a plan involving the Jews and the fledgling Christian movement and its communities. God will have mercy on the Jews and the Gentiles. Paul reiterates that human beings cannot grasp God’s plan, which has meaning and purpose but will unfold in God’s way and in His time. God’s incomprehensible wisdom is notably present. The people imagine that the Messiah they have hoped for will free them from Roman domination, being sent so that His suffering, humiliation and death by the Roman/Jewish community will free them and all to realize God’s love. Loving all in return is the purpose God has for us, thus God’s promise of heaven for all who believe and love. It’s the love of God and all others — and being love ourselves — that’s the eternal reward, because God is love. Total love is a daily task that Satan does not want us to hear.

In the Gospel, the answers given by the apostles to Jesus’ question are interesting. Some believe that He (Messiah) is John the Baptist or Elijah, or one of the prophets. All of these religious figures have already died. They seem to believe that Jesus is a prophetic figure who has come back from the dead. Peter makes a testimony of faith: Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the anointed one of God, adding the divine title, “Son of the living God.” Jesus says the only way that Peter could know this is because God has revealed this to him. In next week’s gospel we will see that the disciples remain confused as to what a Messiah is. It’s a wonderful reflection to sit with this reading and consider how we would respond. ... “You are the Messiah, the one who will ensure that the vulnerable of society will not be exploited, and I will stand in their defense” … “You are the Messiah, the one who will usher in the kingdom of peace, and I commit myself to the practice of peace” ... “You are the Messiah, the one who will refashion us into a holy nation, and I open myself to this transformation.” Lord, I need loads of help. Help me — I love You!

So I reflect on:

  • Do I extend my love, friendship, hospitality and forgiveness to all, or just to those I like?
  • The command to take up the cross and follow Jesus can be overwhelming. Do I ask for help and love from God?

Sacred Space 2026 states:

“The group gathered around the meeting place today must have sat up a little straighter when Jesus asked His question. Who was He and why had He come? Perhaps more interestingly, from where did He originate? These questions must have been on the tips of their tongues. How would you have answered these questions?”

Comments