Walking with Jesus: 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, October 20, 2024

Isaiah 53:10-11, Hebrews 4:14-16, Mark 10:35-45

When I pray, how do I come to God? Do I come with smugness, knowing He's going to answer me since I’m one of His priests? Do I come with prideful arrogance for being a priest of Jesus Christ? Do I come with overconfidence because of my own self-importance?

Or do I come remembering my past, wondering if I could ever be forgiven for what I’ve done? Do I come with confidence, knowing that He created me and loves me just the way I am each time I come to Him? Do I come to Him in need, knowing He told me to always come to Him with whatever is upsetting, hurting, or worrying me? Or do I come in thankfulness and gratitude for He is my God and I am His creature in need of love? So: How do I come to God in prayer?

Jesus continues to ask us — me — to look at the question of discipleship. As we heard last week when the rich young man asked what he would receive for his loyal service, Jesus is saying to look deeper … to look at what His role was as Messiah and how He exercised it. It’s interesting that Jesus begins by describing greatness among worldly states or in the political realm. “You know that those who are recognized as rulers … lord it over them, and their great ones make their authority … felt.” [Mark 10:42] Jesus refers to great men wielding their power with authority. We can easily agree with this when we look at our world today. Totalitarian rulers dominate and terrorize their people fiercely. Even in democratic countries, those with power rule over and manipulate others. Putting it bluntly: Among secular rulers, greatness equals power. This is a deep, reflective thought with elections 17 days away. Looking at our own country, there is another form of greatness that is measured by status and economic influence: People are considered successful by riches, having their needs fulfilled and being more important than others. The bottom line here? Greatness equals riches and status.

Christ’s status — His notion of greatness — is diametrically opposed to all of this. He first addresses James and John: “But it shall not be so among you.” [Mark 10:43] You can’t be like them … you can’t tyrannize them or put them down. Rather, “… whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be great among you will be the slave of all.” [Mark 10:43-44] Jesus does not rule out authority but He does rule out domination, being in control of others. One must use their authority to serve the rest. Jesus’ bottom line? Greatness equals service.

Very importantly, Jesus makes a universal statement for all Christians: “Whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all.” [Mark 10:44] I believe that Jesus responds specifically to Americans’ sense of greatness. To us, riches and possessions equal greatness precisely because they make us independent and able to satisfy our needs and enable us to have others serve OUR needs. This can easily lead us to not serving others. So Jesus’ bottom line is that riches and success are often a hindrance to greatness.

Let us look at the model Jesus places in front of us: Himself. Jesus’ mission as the Messiah consists totally in His serving … in reconciling us to God by His death and in being the Suffering Servant who redeems us. His greatness is service, compassion and love. He is our way to greatness. This is the only kind of greatness that Jesus taught and lived. If he is our norm, then where am I today? This is THE reflection from God to each of us today. And the bottom line is that, through the Spirit, Jesus gives us every ounce of grace to fulfill and live this today. Go to Jesus!

So I reflect on:

  • Apologizing is an amazing concept today. To whom do I find it easiest to apologize? Most difficult? What kinds of circumstances create this relative ease or difficulty?
  • Imagine sitting behind God’s throne. People are coming in … I’m listening … what are they saying/asking? How does God respond?

Sacred Space 2024 states:

“Mothers interceding for their children is not new. Bathsheba interceded with David for her son, Solomon, to succeed David as king (1 Kings 1). Jesus heard the ambition for James and John but He challenged them to redirect it. May our ambitions, which give us energy, be challenged to the glory of God.

“All the apostles struggled with following Jesus as their own issues remained prominent. Jesus sought to bring them beyond self-interest to be people for others. Lord, may we imitate You who came to serve and who offered Your life for us.”

Comments