Walking with Jesus: 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, October 13, 2024

Wisdom 7:7-11, Hebrews 4:12-13, Mark 10:27-30

Here's a great reflective question to ask yourself: How do I make choices? Do I make quick decisions? Am I slow and deliberate? Am I too hasty? Do I seek out people who have helped me in the past or do I go to people whom I feel give sound advice and have a good outlook on life? Do I tend to go to people who always agree with me? Why do I ask? Today’s readings confront us with the need to make choices in our lives: particularly choices for God.

What are these choices about? We all want to be happy in life. We all want to make the kinds of choices that will help us in our future endeavors and guarantee positive results. Generally, as soon as I write this, I realize this is not true or possible in many areas of the world today. Everyone wants security and wellbeing and peace. This should not be just a “pipe dream.” We need wisdom. “I prayed and prudence was given me; I pleaded, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.” [Wisdom 7:7] The author has done much research on the characteristics of wisdom from Israelite tradition and Hellenistic religious and scientific concepts, and concludes that real wisdom is a gift from God entrusted to the faithful. All one has to do is look at the creative power in the world. Paul specifically refers to Christ as the wisdom of God: “For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” [1 Corinthians 1:25] Look at it this way: To human eyes, unfortunately even today, the crucified Christ symbolizes helplessness and foolishness.

Paul quotes extensively from scriptures to show how valid the Hebrews' faith is in God. While in His human nature, Jesus shared the status that human beings enjoyed. For Him to be made lower than the heavenly beings was a humbling experience, certainly not an elevating one. So what did Jesus do? He emptied Himself of His divine privileges — think on this — and if this wasn’t humbling enough, He did it in order to empty Himself in death for the sake of everyone. (As I noted in last week’s blog, a great readable book from Sr. Ilia Delio helps so much: The Humility of God: A Franciscan Perspective.) Jesus experienced disgrace and horrible torture because it was God’s will. Does that mean our God is an insensitive God? Or can I consider that God did this to let Jesus be a total example of giving, sacrificing, love? John shares Jesus’ response from the Last Supper:

I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. This is My commandment: Love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. [John 15:11-14]

Place yourself around the table at the last Supper. You have been traveling with Jesus. You have been blessed to hear His preaching which is always about God’s love — His love for you personally and for everyone. Even when you are negative about yourself because of your human failures, insensitivity, anger, envy or just plain dislike, He exudes love, gentleness, compassion and forgiveness. You realize I’m loved by Him just the way I am … and boy do I need that. Yes, others must hear what I’ve heard. Can I tell them this?

Mark describes the rich man in the Gospel. There is no doubt that he is sincere … and Jesus loves him and encourages him to take the next step: to just let go of what is holding him back from being the real loving, caring, forgiving and compassionate person that the world needs him to be — that your world needs you to be. To sell your treasures and show your even deeper treasures. Wow, that hits the nail on the head. Following Jesus is about something other than amassing possessions and the status they bring. In those days, and today, accumulating wealth came at the poor’s expense. Can this man distribute his wealth to the poor? They are shiftless people, grabbing, looking only for themselves. He can honestly say that many scripture passages see wealth as a sign of God’s favor, as in today’s first reading. In Mark's Gospel, Jesus demands a radical changing of His disciples' focus values in order to receive and realize what the kingdom of heaven is all about. Am I ready for that? What do I have to reconsider? What do I have to put into perspective? What am I willing to sacrifice?  

So I reflect on:

  • The Wisdom author gives insight into the ways of God. Where do I typically look for insight into God’s ways? Are there other strategies I might want to try?
  • I’ve often heard material things are bad … but God’s creation is good. How can I pursue wisdom? And God’s wisdom makes it even better? 

Sacred Space 2024 states:

“A generous, law-abiding man ran up to Jesus desiring to inherit eternal life. His external riches, his possessions held him bound. Lord, may we hear Your message and allow You to be the true riches that hold our hearts.

“We can dominate what we have or let it dominate us. Letting go of control does not come easily. May we let the Lord bring us to inner freedom so that we can do what seems impossible otherwise.”

Comments