Walking with Jesus: 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, July 21, 2024

Jeremiah 23:1-6, Ephesians 2:13-18, Mark 6:30-34

So often we lose sight of the fact that the message that Jesus brought to humanity is not only that God created everyone and everything out of love and redeemed each of us from our sins. We have a tendency to hang on to the sins that we like, but God needs me and you to be His helpers — His disciples in our world. We live and work in this world along with our family, friends, neighbors, those we go to school with, and have a closeness with … this is our world. If we look at it in this way then we must ask ourselves: Does my world know about my God? Does my world learn from me about My God who has brought me here today? Is my God seen in me in the way I act, worship, work and live with those around me? Do I hide my God from those I interact with each day? Do I deliberately not preach, act, or live what Jesus says is the rule of life for His followers; that is, living God’s love each and every day for all so that all can see God’s love, and know they are loved and needed to be people of love for all?

This leads to a reflection: Why do I not show God’s love in my life? Do I feel that this is the job of priests, deacons, nuns, and religious and lay people who work for the church? And if any of these renege on their job with God, it is not up to me? Why would God create a world like this? That would mean that I have no control in making God’s love being alive in all the places of my daily life. Again, why would God create a world like this and place me right in it?

While today's reading focuses so intently on the Good Shepherd, we might lose sight of the fact that there’s a flock involved as well. Each person has been called … I’ve been called … you’ve been called ... to follow and show our God of love each moment, so that all are loved by God and us. So the Jesus we’ve been following in the past weeks' reflections … the only one who is able to calm storms, has power over death, has preached amazingly to the astonishment of the people ... NOW has called and charged ordinary people to continue His work. Last week He sent out His apostles; this week they have returned totally filled with amazement with what they have accomplished through Jesus' presence, teaching and confidence in each of them and realize they have brought God to others. The God of love: Not one to be afraid of but one who brings love that they have missed when being instructed by the religious leaders. Jesus is the leader, the God who loves — and He is showing us the way to eternity with God forever.

Jeremiah explains how the last kings of Judah were shepherds who failed to protect their sheep. This sheep-shepherd metaphor blames these kings for leading the people away from God. Now God will gather them together to live in peace, and they will grow and increase. The coming king will be everything the former king was not. He will reestablish both Israel and Judah and he will do it with the goodness, virtue and honesty that comes from God’s love and care.

We listen to, remember, and take note of Psalm 23, the best-loved psalm of the entire Psalter. It depicts vivid pictures along with peacefulness and abundant fruitfulness, all the time focusing on the individual: Each is valuable, important and loved by God. Do we hear God’s message to us?

Paul is reminding the Ephesians that in the past they have been divided. Now clues exist that Jesus’ death and resurrection has brought them together. Now love leads a list of virtues that are central to living as a Christians along with humility, gentleness, patience and tolerance: To live love we have to show love. How am I doing? Do I put obstacles of self to loving unconditionally?

For the first and only time in Mark’s gospel, Jesus’ disciples are called apostles. Although disciple and apostle are often used interchangeably, the words are different: An apostle is an authorized representative who is appointed to a particular task rather than a permanent position. We note at the end of the passage that Jesus is moved with “pity” … a profound inner emotion which has Messianic significance. Jesus is moved by the plight of the people, not by their enthusiasm. They want miracles; Jesus sees them as sheep without a shepherd, searching for someone or something they can follow … a criticism of the leadership of the time. Jesus chooses people who will continue His work. People in our world are searching and hungering for instruction and direction. They are looking for answers and meaning … they are looking for the love Jesus showed by giving His life for each of us. Can they find these qualities in us? Or are we hesitant to love, care, lead — even show that Jesus is in us?

So I reflect on:

  • I think of places in my world where I see entire committees of people who seem to be like sheep without a shepherd. Who is responding? Can I? Why or why not?
  • Switch the perspective: I place myself among the sheep. Why do I not feel shepherded? Where would I like to experience Christ’s compassion fully?

Sacred Space 2024 states:

“It is a busy world, where many are stressed and need some rest and relaxation. Jesus invited the apostles to come on a short retreat. Lord, with the pace of life and many demands, may we have the wisdom to take quiet time to regain perspective.

“The planned retreat was interrupted by the crowd, who hastened to find Jesus. He responded with compassion, seeing their situation. May we have a compassionate response when things do not work for us as we planned.”

Comments