Walking with Jesus: 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time B

For Sunday, June 23, 2024

Job 38:1, 8-11; 2 Corinthians 5:14-17; Mark 4:35-41

We can get so absorbed in “our little selves” that we fail to notice the special people around us who care about us deeply. And we also can become numb to the presence of God who is leading us to be aware … to care … to be conscious of “the people who stop by” in our lives in need of someone “just like me.” Is this important? Yes! It could blind us to the reign of God that takes shape in our lives around us. This could mean that we miss “at this moment” how God is loving us … leading us on to a deeper awareness of the gifts God has blessed us with. If I miss them, I’m also missing God … and when this happens I turn more into myself and the world with all its lures and attractions. I’m missing God’s love at the same moments. When this happens I have the tendency to act like I'm the only person in the world … it’s all about me … my emotions, feelings and desires have to be attended to … because I’m all that matters.

The readings help direct us away from what blinds our sight and to what God is doing to sensitize us to what pulsates within life. We begin to look at the way the love of God works in us, in our world, and around the world.

Job’s speeches are pleas for God’s answer to the tragedies that have befallen him. God leads Job into a deeper appreciation of God’s “job description” and an appreciation of certain aspects of God’s own self. He directs Job to look at the forces of nature in a new way. To look at the order in the universe. This counters the ancient myth that a great battle was fought between the forces of good and evil preceding creation. The only one who could bring order and continue its preservation was God, the creator of all. Today’s speech from God shows how He controlled the primordial waters, a common symbol for chaos. God shut the sea within limits. God is a God who cares … who created all to lead us closer to Himself. And His creation is a sign of His love. Are we caring for His work? Are we grateful?

Psalm 107 is a communal prayer of thanksgiving for saving seafarers who risk their lives in dangerous waters (v. 23-24). The Sea of Galilee is noted for sudden, violent storms that come up without warning. It’s also a metaphor to describe the situations that overwhelm each of us. We cry out to the Lord in our distress. God saves … God loves … God cares.

Paul is telling the Corinthians and us that Christ’s death is the expression of His love. His death changes one’s whole way of looking at God. This opens up a new way for humans to relate to each other and to God. Since Jesus died and has been raised to save us and bring us to new life, we are all a new creation — transformed by His death and resurrection. I was born to live … to live in love as Jesus showed me. Love has to be given. If it is hoarded, it’s not love — it's about me and not about others, or love, or God.

Most of the miracles of Jesus are either healings or exorcisms. Today’s is a nature miracle with a type of exorcism where Jesus rebukes the powers of the storm. Again, God compels order from the watery abyss. The apostles are flabbergasted: Who is this who has power over the sea? Are they surprised that the Creator-God has no limits? They fear drowning, a reality they've no doubt witnessed and faced themselves as professional fishermen. The real question comes from Jesus, as it does for you and me. Sit with it and ask it of yourself: “Why are you terrified? Do you not yet have faith?” A message to Mark’s community and a message for you — a message for me!

So I reflect on:

  • I reflect on the forces of nature … God’s creation wonders. How does my desire for understanding give me some insights into how I approach the mystery of the Divine?
  • God confronted the apostles today. In what way might God’s words confront me?

Sacred Space 2024 states:

“In crossing the seas of life, we encounter storms that can arise in surprising ways. Lord, may we turn to You for guidance and help at those times and not rely solely on our own resources.

“Jesus’ message was one of peace and calm. May we wake up from sleep and realize the Lord is present, guaranteeing safety on our journey.”

Comments