Walking with Jesus: 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, October 29, 2023

Exodus 22:20-26, 1 Thessalonians 1:5-10, Matthew 22:34-40

How do I feel? How do I feel about the people in my life: family, relatives, friends, companions, those I work with, relax with, interact with? Now how about those I see or hear about on mass media: those locally, nationally, throughout the world? Have I formed opinions based on reports that I hear or read? Who do I trust? Is this individual trustworthy or opinionated? Are they reliable or do they speak off the cuff? Do they do research or speak ad lib?

There is a song, often heard in churches, written by John Foley entitled The Cry of the Poor which repeats the chorus: “The Lord hears the cry of the poor, Blessed be the Lord.”

Can I identify with this song? The media tells of refugees turned back at border crossings, children taken from parents, immigrants mistreated by government agents, bodies of persons who die attempting to flee from violence and terror to find safety and hope. We pass by individuals with cardboard signs, malnourished, unkempt, pleading for help. Do I stop? Do I have preconceived thoughts? Why can’t someone just help? Is this our cry? Should it be?

Has much changed in the thousands of years since the Book of Exodus where Moses describes God’s creation and the annals of humanity and the forming of the Hebrew community into God’s people? Today God is reminding the people to remember their own lives as oppressed aliens; how they should remember where they came from … how God has always been with them … how they were chosen to be His people in word and example — in love, caring and compassion to all in need. If they don’t, they will have turned from oppressed to oppressors. How mindful are we of those who are unfortunate? Are we oblivious to the cry of the poor? Or do we turn them off?

At Sinai the tribes of Israel form a solemn agreement in partnership with God. God will be their God; they are to be God’s people. This is a very interesting and basic reflection that I too often neglect. Am I a person of God? Can people see God in me, in the way I act, interact, in what I do, in how I show compassion and love to all — especially those in need ... each day?

Moses is explaining the code of conduct that is expected. The Israelites have already experienced countless occurrences of God’s compassion for them. They are to “act like God,” especially toward the aliens and slaves who are journeying with them. They have never deserved the loving gifts given them by God. They can and must show their gratitude by displaying their love for all.

Paul is complimenting the Thessalonian community for listening to God’s love and Jesus’ teaching and for being strong examples of living the message of the gospel. This requires constant courage and conviction, which reinforce the message of hope.  Each of us is to be a model to be admired ... imitated ... as we live Jesus’ mercy, compassion, forgiveness and love. Is this our goal? When not, why not? If people can’t see God in us, where do they go?

In the Gospel, Jesus is being tested by a Pharisee who is also a scholar of the Mosaic Law. Matthew constantly brings out the conflict between Jesus and the leaders of the Pharisees. Today their question centers upon which commandment of the Law is the greatest. We know the Law refers to the Ten Commandments … but there are 612 “modifications” that the Pharisees maintain have the same power as “The Commandments.” So which is the greatest? Jesus replies, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” This means at every moment of every day! The rabbis often discuss this same question among themselves — to gain a deeper understanding of the Torah, not to test one another. Jesus’ answer is exactly what any faithful Jew would state from Deuteronomy 6:4-9. Jesus is only asked about the greatest, but He continues with a second which He definitely claims is like the first: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Jesus offers the greatest act of love by offering His very self for the love of the world. As we come to receive the Eucharist we are reminded of Jesus’ mandate, “Do this in memory of Me.”

So I reflect on:

  • As I look around me, who are the literal aliens, widows and orphans? What do they need? I’m called to respond. Do I?
  • What can … must ... I do to make sure I don’t pass on a legacy of oppression and suffering?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“To be a good citizen and to serve God are not in contradiction, since God works through all human systems and institutions to build the final community of love. God needs me to help build good relationships wherever I find myself.”

Comments