Walking with Jesus: The Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord

For Sunday, August 6, 2023

Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14; 2 Peter 1:16-19; Matthew 17:1-9

There’s a story that has been passed down for ages about today’s feast, the Transfiguration of the Lord:

Little Johnny was shopping with his mom downtown and, when finished, she said, “Let's go into that old church.” It had stained glass windows of many saints and Jesus and Mary. Johnny was fascinated by the saints because the sun was shining through the windows while magical colors were dancing on the floor. Johnny asked what the colors meant and his mom told him that when the sun shone through them, the range of colors sparkled and shined for all to see. The story continues: In religion class, the teacher asked if anyone knew what makes a saint holy — and Johnny responded excitedly, “A saint is someone who is very kind and loving, and the sun shines through them so everyone can see their beauty.”

When Jesus was transfigured on Mount Tabor, God shone through Him so brightly that it revealed God’s light and love. Matthew writes that Jesus’ face “shone like the sun and His clothes became white as light.” The Exodus story tells us how, when God appeared to Moses on Mount Sinai, “Aaron noticed how radiant the skin of Moses face had become.” [Exodus 34:30] The Moses account pictures a cloud hovering over the place of God’s presence. Today, from the Transfiguration cloud, God urges the disciples to “listen.” The Greek word for listen is Shema, which is the beginning of the Great Jewish prayer:

Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone! Therefore, you shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength. Take to heart these words which I enjoin on you today. Drill them into your children. Speak of them at home and abroad, whether you are busy or at rest. Bind them at your wrist as a sign and let them be as a pendant on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates. [Deuteronomy 6:4-9]

This is the basic principle of the whole Mosaic Law. Since the Lord alone is God, we must love Him with an undivided heart. Jesus quotes these words when He shares the greatest command of God. [Matthew 22:37-40]

Daniel has seen four frightening beasts representing earthly kingdoms that threaten God’s holy people. Then, suddenly, he sees a court in heaven where God already has taken His throne and is depicted as “ancient,” in contrast to earthly kingdoms that are temporary. The brilliant, white light surrounding God scatters the enclosed darkness. God is preparing to pass judgment against the oppressive arrogance of earthly kings. Daniel then sees something like a Son of Man. This human figure approaches God on heavenly clouds, clearly setting Him apart from all others. He receives the authority to rule over all the nations of the earth. His kingdom is eternal and unending. Its message is that God’s faithful ones will triumph over all adversity. Do I realize that I have been created for a purpose — an eternal purpose — a part of God’s plan? He needs me and each person to take the love we’ve received, been taught, been touched with, and share it so that the loved ones may know God’s love. Do I live this?  How can I live this more?

Peter was there at the Transfiguration, as he explains in his second letter which is possibly one of the latest books written in the Bible. It tells of the second coming: the Parousia. He urges attentiveness. Am I attentive to God’s presence within my heart? Am I opening myself to God’s love and realizing that this comes with His strength to live in love? Am I shining like a saint?

In Matthew, Jesus reveals more of who He is and what God is asking. Again: Am I listening? God never speaks more clearly: “This is My son, My Beloved, with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him.” [Matthew 17:5] He sends them and He sends me and He sends everyone. Go into the future without fear. Don’t tell anyone until the Resurrection, because they would never believe it. After Jesus’ rising, they will know that a forever future with God is not only possible, but waiting.

The future is about hope, not fear. The Christian life is about choices: choices in loving, caring, forgiving, living as Jesus. God’s light will always shine. It needs to be directed through me — not hoarded, but lived in love.

So I reflect on:

  • “This is my beloved Son,” says God. When in my life have I heard myself called beloved in a way that invited me to shine like the sun …?
  • I am beloved in the way that Jesus is. Jesus tells us that God loves each of us intensely. Am I listening? Am I living this?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“At the sound of God’s voice, the disciples prostrate themselves on the ground, terrified. They hear the gentle voice of Jesus: ‘Get up (rise up) and do not be afraid.’ Jesus’ words point to resurrection, to a new life, and the abolition of fear and anxiety. Imagine this scene during this time of prayer — can you hear the gentle voice of Jesus speaking to you now?”

Comments