Walking with Jesus: Feast of the Ascension

For Sunday, May 21, 2023

Acts 1:1-11, Ephesians 1:17-23, Matthew 28:16-20

On today's Feast of the Ascension of our Lord, I look at my 56th anniversary of ordination to the Priesthood and reflect on some questions that seem to repeat themselves during difficult times in people's lives: Where is God? Why does it seem that in difficult times, God isn't around for me? What is happening in our world ... why is there so much violence, war, killing? Doesn't God care about all of this? Could it be that the end of the world is approaching? How can I feel God in my very uncaring and busy world?

Good questions. But underneath them lies another, deeper question, one for me: What must I be doing as a follower of Jesus and as a Catholic Christian today? This leads to others: Have I abandoned God? Do I feel that the message and mission of Jesus is just for my own life and spirituality? Can I spell out my mission and how I am fulfilling it? Do I feel that God is calling me to specific direction in my life today? Am I too busy to respond?

In today's readings we can see the hesitation and doubts of the early believers and followers of Jesus, and the concerns they are wrestling with. Do we face the same challenges in our lives?

In Luke's gospel, he shares with his readers everything the Lord has said: His miracles, His teachings, His love and care for all. Then He died, rose and went back up to heaven. In his second book, the Acts of the Apostles, Luke details the awesome works of the Apostles, disciples and early followers of Jesus, explaining their staggering mission and its resulting dramatic transformation upon their lives. He describes the 40 days following Jesus' resurrection, laying the foundation for the work the Apostles would take over in spreading the love of God. Interestingly, the number 40 in the Bible is associated with an often-repeated span of time that leads to some dramatic transformations: Moses lives 40 years in Egypt, in the desert and on Mount Sinai on two separate occasions; Ezekiel lays on his right side for 40 days to symbolize Judah's sins; Elijah goes 40 days without food or water at Mount Horeb; Jesus is tempted many times by the devil as he fasts for 40 days. On the subject of Jesus' leaving His followers at Theophilius, Luke offers this advice: Wait. This is not to be a "wasted" period where nothing is done. They have to continue to be witnesses to what they have heard, seen and learned from Jesus. They will be receiving the Holy Spirit, enabling them to serve God and His saving plan for the world until the end of time. This period will challenge them to be faithful witnesses. The same message continues daily in our lives.

Paul writes a beautiful phrase in his letter to the Ephesians: "May the eye of your hearts be enlightened ..." [Ephesians 1:18]. So often we jump to conclusions and don't let the other person finish their statement ... I feel it is so necessary to sit and reflect on "why," "what" and "how" questions. Like imagining where Jesus would go after His death. Would He just leave us? Would He ever forget us? How would He continue to be THE most important part of our lives? These are deep thoughts that I believe require a good part of our dreams and imaginations to put our love of God into our lives.

The Ascension is described by Luke in his gospel [Luke 24:50]; also in John's gospel [John 3:12, 6:62, 20:17]. Matthew makes the Ascension the high point of his entire gospel, pointing everything to this event. Matthew does not say where it happens, only that it is somewhere in Galilee. Perhaps it's on the Mount of Beatitudes, where Matthew goes into detail (chapters 5-7) on Jesus' essential teachings. Two impressive things happen: First, the disciples worship Jesus "but then they doubted" [Matthew 28:17]. Even after following Him for all this time, having witnessed His crucifixion and His resurrected body, apparently some or many of them doubt. Jesus certainly isn't going to wait until all doubt is gone. These disciples have work to do now, with whatever doubts they have ... as we do. Second, Jesus says He has been given all power in heaven and on earth. Jesus is who He consistently has said He is. So He is the One with the power, and He now sends them on their mission. He commissions them "... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." [Matthew 28:19] This probably is an early formula used as a baptismal formula. Now, they are to GO ... and teach EVERYTHING they have learned from Jesus. And — most importantly — JESUS PROMISES TO BE WITH THEM ALWAYS, UNTIL THE END OF TIME. Look how important this is: the LAST WORDS OF JESUS are, "I am with you always." He's with you and me ... always. And, as He adds so frequently, "Do not be afraid." Do I go to Jesus when I am confused? Afraid? Do I ask for help? Why not?

So I reflect on:

  • Jesus tells His disciples — that's you and me: Make all nations what they are meant to be, namely disciples. Am I grateful? Do I ask for help in being His disciple?
  • Once again, as I have been doing throughout this Easter season, I take a few moments to renew my own baptismal promises, rejecting sin and evil and professing my faith in Jesus, Father and Spirit.

Sacred Space 2023 states:

"Lord, you terrify me with this command to go and teach all nations. You were talking to eleven men, without education, money or influence, in a despised province of the Roman Empire. But they obeyed You, because they knew You were with them. And today Christians are the largest body of believers on this planet. Today's preaching is different. We are educated, sometimes too well. It is harder than ever to make our voice heard. Yet in Sacred Space Your word goes out potentially to all nations, and You are still with us."


Comments