Walking with Jesus: Second Sunday of Easter: Divine Mercy Sunday

For Sunday, April 16, 2023

Acts 2:42-47, 1 Peter 1:3-9, John 20:19-31

What was it like for the apostles and disciples of Jesus after their Master’s death? Even for us, death is a mystery. It forces us to ask questions: Why am I alive? Is there a purpose for my life? How do I live? For whom do I live? Am I prepared to die … now? Later? Look at what Jesus’ friends must have felt after His burial. I’m sure they were dazed … confused, certainly … angry over the cruelty to the most beautiful person they had ever known personally … bitter and resentful. The meaning of their lives and hopes had been taken away. Following that amazing Passover meal, everything had come to a complete standstill. What was left to do but go home? But they were hunted men and women. Would they be safe? Jesus said He was coming back; He would never leave them alone. Now we are alone, they echoed. Today John shares Jesus’ appearance to the apostles. They were looking at an unimaginable sight and thinking about themselves.

I look at myself: How much trust have I put in the Lord’s words? Why do I waver? Why do I need so many assurances when times get tough … when I’m feeling down … when I just don’t have it all together? In one of his many letters to a person to whom he gave spiritual direction, Padre Pio writes: “You know perfect love is acquired when we possess the object of our love. So why do you have so much fruitless anxiety and discouragement? Always long for more love with complete confidence and do not be afraid.” He continues, “I know that no pilgrim soul can worthily love God. But when one does all it can and trusts in divine mercy, why would Jesus reject it? Didn’t God command us to love Him with all our strength? If you have given all and consecrated all to God why be afraid? … Tell Jesus, ‘Do you want more love from me? I don’t have any more to give. Give me more love, and I will offer it back to you!’ Have no doubt that Jesus will accept that offer.”

We can’t lose heart because of our imperfections, little or major. Ask for the grace to keep a careful watch over yourself. When you fail, kneel before the Lord … in your shame, apologize … ask for forgiveness and future strength … and thank the Lord. Then get up immediately and move on the path the Lord has placed you on. Our failures are certain to happen as long as we are still on earth. Paul states this so powerfully in Romans 8:

For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Therefore, I myself, with my mind, serve the law of God; with my flesh, the law of sin. [Romans 8:19-25]

It is God’s mercy that saves each of us.

After the Spirit’s coming at Pentecost, Peter goes out and gives a monumental sermon in praise of God. “Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand persons were added that day.” [Acts 2:41] The account follows with an outline of peaceful living and the chief characteristics of the Jerusalem community. It centers on the teachings of the Apostles, their religious life, and their deep concern for the needy and Jesus’ love. Interestingly, some outsiders are reluctant to join them, perhaps out of fear of reprisals from the religious Jewish leaders.

In the meantime, Peter tells us that suffering persists. He shares that our love for and faith in Jesus is not based on immediate experience. We live in faith and in hope, especially when we reflect on what else we can do in response to the merciful gift of new life received in Baptism. We give praise, love, honor and glory to God with joy. When we don’t … something’s missing.

John writes that Thomas is like so many of us: His faith depends on direct experience. Jesus appears, Thomas is not there … Jesus tells them to carry on His work in the world and says that the Holy Spirit’s commission is coming soon. Later, Thomas is present when Jesus appears again. Thomas’ response is not an expression of doubt (unfortunately he has inherited a label). He says that until he has the same experience that those disciples had, he will not believe; when he has that experience, he will believe. Thomas needs no more proof. Notice that, without even touching Jesus' wounds, Thomas makes a full profession of faith: “My Lord and my God.” [John 20:28]

So I reflect on:

  • John adds, with a blessing, a hope-filled prayer: “But these are written that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that through this belief you may have life in His name.” [John 20:31]
  • Like Thomas, the Lord provides many life opportunities to touch Christ’s wounds in person or from afar. Where do I see the wounds of Christ? Unless I reflect on my day, they are so often missed and so is my experience in sharing the Resurrection.

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“Here we are shown twice how Jesus breaks into the lives of His friends. Can He break in on me? Where am I in these scenes? Am I hesitant like Thomas? Am I looking for some sign before committing myself to the fact that I am living in a new world, the world of the resurrection?”

Comments