Walking with Jesus: Fourth Sunday of Easter

For Sunday, April 30, 2023

Acts 2:14, 36-41; 1 Peter 2:20-25; John 10:1-10

It’s amazing how I’ve come to regard as commonplace the workings of my cell phone and my computer. Sometimes I can actually figure out what’s wrong and how to remedy the situation. Really, I’m just a novice at this … perhaps only in the first grade, hoping to move on to second. An offshoot of Artificial intelligence (AI) is the so-called “smart speaker” that relies on voice recognition. It’s another amazing fact for me to be asking Siri so many questions for directions ... what’s the weather ... or to remind me about something or learn some information. And “she” answers immediately, even though I’m still learning to ask in the “right way.” This process isn’t voice recognition, which concentrates on identifying the speaker’s identity. Today’s readings are directing us to the source of what are lives are to be … how we live … how we get closer to God … how we put Jesus’ teachings into our lives … how we put all of this together as we continue our journey to our promised goal, Heaven with God forever. How do we recognize and respond to God’s voice?

So I ask: Am I listening to God? Am I hearing God’s voice, His response over the background noise in my daily life? Am I searching out — reaching out for His guidance, grace and help each day? Sometimes the noise of the world around me can be so deafening. Sometimes even the quiet absence of God’s voice and presence in the world can leave one with the notion that God doesn’t care … I’m lost and wondering, can I ever be found? Today we hear so-called fake news so often, how often do I long for God’s clarification and intervention? Am I spending time with God? Do I regularly take time to BE with the Lord … at least in GRATITUDE, praise, love, thanksgiving and help in living my life this day?

In today's first reading, Peter is addressing the crowd in Jerusalem after the Apostles have received the Holy Spirit: their Confirmation “sacrament.” He has been describing the mission of Jesus and how it has been extended to the disciples and every Christian. He describes Jesus’ humanity through His caring and compassion. This week he states with certainty that “God made Jesus both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” Many of these same Jews had been present for the trial of Jesus and shouted, “Crucify Him … Crucify Him.” Today Peter’s testimony has astounded and shocked them. “What are we to do, brothers?” If this is God talking, what are we to do? They are now identifying themselves as brothers, united in the same cause and open to the same challenges and commitment in repenting and accepting Baptism. Peter continues by saying this same promise is extended to their families and relatives, descendants and peoples of all lands close and distant. During the Easter Season we have had numerous opportunities to renew our own baptismal commitment when we have renounced Satan and all his evil works and influences in our lives, and re-committed ourselves to the Lord. Have we carried this through to our hearts and daily living?

In the second reading Peter continues his message that as followers, our conduct even to unbelievers is to be of a high standard, showing love to all. Jesus suffered for us, and He was without any sin at all. Though we have all strayed like sheep, we have returned to the protection of the Good Shepherd. Do we feel we can solve and remedy all situations of faith, love and commitment, or are we looking to Jesus’ life, teachings and examples?

Jesus again uses Himself as an example of the Good Shepherd. He uses this in terms of both intimacy and estrangement. He uses intimacy to show He loves us and cares for us and “… calls His own sheep by name and leads them.” [John 10:3] We have been called and given an abundance of life in Baptism, which death doesn’t stop or redirect — for we are called to be with God forever. This story really reflects the conflict that developed between Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus is the credible one; the Pharisees are the strangers, thieves, and robbers. Again, Jesus’ followers do not understand what He is saying. Jesus advances the story, saying that He is the gate, determining who comes into the sheepfold and who He keeps out. Jesus is saying that He is the gate to salvation. He is leading us … caring for us … and we are trying to listen in a very noisy world. Also, in reflecting on the Gospel, Jesus is telling us that we are also often asked to be shepherds. All those who serve and protect are entrusted with the charge to be good shepherds. Where do we ask for help? Do we spend time with the Lord, at His feet in prayer to listen and follow? We have to listen to hear God … through Scripture, through the Sacraments, through study and reading Spiritual classics, through our devotions ... and in our quiet, still time with the Lord.

So I reflect on:

  • I reflect on my cell phone … it is ringing. Whose voice would I most like to hear when I pick it up? Whose voice would I let ring through to voicemail? Do I do the same with God?
  • How do each of Jesus’ metaphors today speak to me? Does one appeal more? Do I try to avoid any of them? Each speaks to me as to how I am living God at this moment. Am I listening?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“Jesus uses rich images from daily life to illustrate the depth of His desired relationship with us. On the one side, Jesus speaks of shepherd and sheep, gatekeeper and gate, pasture and life, recognition and salvation. The contrasting words are: strangers, thieves and bandits, killing and stealing, running away in fear instead of following, climbing in rather than walking through the open gate.

“The people do not understand the parable, so the Lord explains it: All must come through Him to obtain true life. We could reflect on what it is or who it is that prevents us from following the Lord.”

Comments