Walking with Jesus: Third Sunday of Lent

For Sunday, March 12, 2023

Exodus 17:3-7; Romans 5:1-2, 5-8; John 4:5-42

Do I work at getting better at my day job? Do I work at getting better at my “religion job?” Do I work to get better at my relationships? Which ones do I work hardest at? Do I work hard at my spiritual life? Do I evaluate my spiritual life to become more consistent or a better follower of Jesus? Do I even care about getting better ... or do I feel that I’m OK just the way I am? Do I feel I know enough about God, His creation, and Heaven and Hell, so I can just continue the way I am living — and that’s good enough for me? And is it good enough for God? Why does God want us to worship Him? How would we respond to these wisdom thoughts from Scriptures:

  • “The Amen, the faithful and true witness, the source of God’s creation, says this: 'I know you: I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth' ” [Revelation 3:14-17].
  • Why is it hard to have faith in God? Is having faith enough to save us?
  • Why doesn’t God interact with us today the way He did during Biblical times?

In today’s reading of Exodus, after the Hebrews crossed the Red Sea, God leads the tribes of Israel through the wilderness desert toward Mt. Sinai. The tribes have a lot to learn, starting with trusting God. They have been learning more about God but haven’t made any spiritual progress. Their journey in Egypt and to this point has brought so many fears to the surface: Where are we going? Who is this God that Moses is telling us about? Does He really love us? What does He want from us? Their fears have led them into the desert; they wonder, weren’t they better off in Egypt? God patiently addresses their concerns: They need water to feed their flocks and themselves. Moses is their leader. God tells him to bring some of them with him as they approach the rock. Moses picks up his staff — the same one that he struck the Nile River to display God’s power and love for the Israelites — and strikes the rock. Water gushes out in a regular flow. Now the people and their flocks can drink. Now the people realize that God is in their midst and cares for them. Do I feel that God cares for me and those I love?

Paul reiterates his argument to the Romans showing God’s accomplishments in helping, guiding and leading their ancestors on their faith journey to the Promised Land. Paul explains that all have Christ’s peace and access to God’s grace that provides the hope one needs for things to come. The gift is called grace, which brings eternal life [Romans 5:12]. He makes the comparison that if so much damage was caused by the first human being, Adam, how much greater is the grace and redemption won by the ultimate human being, Jesus Christ? Why do I worry … trust ... believe? What is blocking me from this?

We turn to John’s gospel where Jesus encounters the Samaritan woman at the well. This passage is loaded with splendid Biblical points. The Samaritan woman gradually comes to recognize who Jesus really is through a series of insights: She calls Him “Sir” [4:11,15], then a Prophet [4:19], then the Messiah [4:29]. The woman is confused and still doesn’t grasp the message. Eventually Jesus reveals that He Himself is the living water … then He fully reveals Himself through “I am” … the title God gave Himself at the Burning Bush. Jesus is leading her to what water means to a believer: It is more than a thirst quencher; He is the living water bringing eternal life. Then Jesus switches the subject to the woman’s husband and astounds her that He knows about her background — not to condemn her but to lead her to eternal life. She finally grasps that He is more than a prophet: He is the Messiah. She believes and goes to tell the other villagers. She is the first disciple — one who is called to bring the Good News of God’s love. A woman, a Samaritan, a belittled woman in need of God’s love … and Jesus begins His ministry with her. He remains in her community, and many more come to believe that Jesus is the Savior of the world. Have I believed that too?

So I reflect on:

  • While people in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) thirst for more and more knowledge of God…how can I, as a follower of Christ, minister to “my” thirsty world?
  • The Gospel offers the peace, care and love of God…how can I be more observant of those in my world who are hurting and are hiding from God’s love because of past mistreatments and prejudices?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“Lord, I am going about my business like the Samaritan woman and am taken aback when you accost me at the well.  You interrupt my business, my getting and spending, and the routines of my day.  Let me savour this encounter, imagine you probing my desires, showing You know the waywardness of my heart.  At the end, like her, I am moved with such joy at the meeting You that I cannot keep it to myself.”

Comments