Walking with Jesus: First Sunday of Lent

For Sunday, Feb. 26, 2023

Genesis 2:7-9, 3:1-7; Romans 5:12-19; Matthew 4:1-11

Our readings today take us back to where our relationship with God began: in the Garden of Eden. It was beautiful and wonderful to behold. We see the wonders of the world God created. All creation spoke of God’s love and total commitment to create beauty encompassing the vast halo of the Milky Way and beyond. Nothing is in need of repair … everything God touches is total beauty and complete in itself. The bottom line is that humans came and tried to remake, reconstitute and even redo God’s creation to satisfy their own desires, wishes and selfish ambitions. This was not man’s mission to do: Jesus was sent to restore what was lost through the pride of our ancestors. God gave the breath of life to humans; He is the source of all life. Thinking they knew better, Adam and Eve were tempted to turn away from God’s plan … the age-old temptation to do what I want to do because I want to do it … for me!

This has been repeated through the centuries and generations to the present. Jesus came to tell us that God created us out of love and loves every one of His Creations. He has always planned for all humanity to be in heaven forever with Him. Jesus gave the ultimate proof of this love by dying on the cross for you, me and everyone. Is there any greater testimony of God’s love? Lent is a time to get back to our roots … to see God’s plan and love from the beginning … to reaffirm our lives according to God’s way of love, and fulfill God’s plan to be with Him forever in heaven. How am I doing? Am I willing to take this time to reconnect with God, who is totally in love with me?

The Eden story so perfectly and dramatically captures what has been lacking in humanity’s response to our loving God: Instead of showing gratitude and using God’s gifts and blessings, they go their own way. “I know what is best for me” … echoing the old mantra and song: Just me, myself and I and my shadow. God places man into a garden filled with delightful and nourishing trees, including the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. God is giving His protective word: a warning against eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge. The serpent, Satan, devil, asks a question that leads the woman to imagine that God is withholding from them some privileged information about good and evil that only God knows. The serpent is appealing to humanity's sense of pride: It’s what I want … it’s all about me … this is just too big to ignore … I am making myself bigger than others … it is about me. Eden has told us of divine-human intimacy. God loves me that much; He always has. Is my love dependent on getting what I want? Or: on whatever way leads me to God’s love … heaven forever?

Paul takes the opposite approach, looking at sin and it’s consequence — death. Jesus has come with the grace of His life, suffering, death, resurrection and ascension, to restore hope in the wonders and continuation of God’s plan for creation.  Paul shows how the sin of Adam and Eve brought about judgment and death for God’s people. The one redeeming act of Jesus brings about acquittal for all who believe in Him and have returned to God’s way ... to salvation with Him forever in heaven. On this Lenten journey, am I committed to getting back on track to heaven with God’s redeeming grace and love?

The Gospel for the first Sunday of Lent brings the story of Jesus being tempted by the devil. SIDEBAR: A wonderful introduction to Jesus’ temptation is to reflect on chapters 5-7 of Deuteronomy. These outline Israel’s failures during their wandering in the Judean desert lands for 40 years. They constantly were shown God’s care and were rescued from the many trials and sufferings they endured trying to do it their way, not listening to God and God’s way: They continued to think they knew better. Time and again they went their own sweet way and continued to do their own thing in opposition to God’s commands and teachings of love and their response to it.   

The devil's first temptation challenges Jesus to prove He is the Son of God by turning stones into bread. Obedience to God surpasses all forms of proof regarding who Jesus is … He is not about tricks or magic, but on living and showing God’s love and care. The second temptation asks Jesus to prove He is the Son of God by throwing Himself off the parapet of the temple. Jesus shows that His obedience to God is far more important than doing what the devil wants. The third temptation is the most intense: Jesus can have all of the kingdoms of the world if He will just worship the devil. But God is to be worshiped, and God alone: We are to serve God alone.  Everything happens on God’s terms; it is God plan from all eternity. Where Israel failed in obedience to God, Jesus succeeded. Lent is a time for me to align my focus on God, God’s love, and God’s plan for me to be in heaven. Anything outside of this focus is from the devil.   

So I reflect on:

  • I have fallen, and God’s grace and love keep bringing me back. Where am I still searching for God’s grace? Am I not listening? Or is there too much of me, myself involved, and not letting God in?
  • Am I in line with God’s agenda for me? Do I still want my will to be being first in line?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“What is the Spirit trying to tell me in this story? Am I aware of my own particular ‘temptations’ that make trouble for me in my life? Do I find wisdom and guidance in Scripture to help me cope with difficulties in my life? Let us consider where Jesus found inspiration and guidance throughout His life.”

Comments