Walking with Jesus: Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, February 5, 2023

Isaiah 58:7-10, 1 Corinthians 1:2-5, Matthew 5:13-16

Am I a happy person? Am I an angry person? Am I a caring person? Am I an indifferent person? Am I a joyful person? Am I an insulting person? Am I a person who is halfway between these “opposites” just listed? Am I concerned that I have much work to do to make myself the person I have been created to be, or am I satisfied with myself — having fallen into the rut that “it's just the way that I am ... there’s no need for me to change?”

In the second year of his pontificate, Pope Francis gathered the Roman Curia on Dec. 22, 2014, for an “expected Christmas gathering.” Having begun his pontificate on March 13, 2013, this was his second Christmas as leader of the Catholic Church. The Curia comprises the administrative institution and the central body through which the affairs of the Church are conducted. This certainly is a group of very qualified and talented people, many of whom have spent their lives in this ministry. Think on this: If  you worked for a huge corporation and the Big Boss called together you and the main officers, managers and high officials just before Christmas, what would you expect? I would imagine it would be a joyful, congratulatory, affirming gathering … maybe even the announcement of a big raise for all involved, maybe with some special gifts. Do you agree? We like to be affirmed and recognized for what we do and how we project ourselves.

Well Pope Francis did something quite unexpected: He presented the Church leadership with a list of 15 of what he called “diseases” that plagued them and were undermining the Church’s real mission. The article I read listed existential schizophrenia, backbiting, joylessness (“lugubrious face”), and indifference as a few of the maladies. Well, I imagine there was a hushed silence among the group and possibly even a bit of fear for their “jobs.”

We apply this to our readings today. The Jewish people have received the Ten Commandments from God by way of Moses. They know them verbatim, as many of us do. The observe them, hopefully, all the time. We observe them, hopefully, all the time, and are not “selective” in the ones we observe. Today Jesus presents the Beatitudes, a specific set of values and attitudes telling me and all believers who HE wants US to be. These definitely are in opposition to the easy answers of society: These are God attitudes. Jesus lived them; we are to take our direction from Him.

Isaiah’s reading today challenges the Lord’s people to worship sincerely. The people have been complaining that their fasting brings no response from God. They do these “rituals” while simultaneously pursuing their own interests. Isaiah explains how God wants them to fast while giving Him humble and selfless service. Am I a believer? Do I live these practices in gratitude for God’s love and constant gifts? Why not? Where does the interference come from?

Paul explains that his founding of the Church at Corinth hasn't been accompanied by lofty words or persuasive wisdom. He has done it because of God’s message: This is the only way to heaven: to live God’s love to all, with no exceptions, excluding no one ... helping all in need.

Today's Gospel passage immediately follows the Beatitudes we will be hearing about for the next three weeks. Jesus says we are to be salt and light … to bring joy and justice. Franciscan Media explains this so beautifully:

Salt plays a key role in our experience with food. While barely visible on the plate, it serves an essential function in preserving and giving flavor to the meal. Without salt, food can lack appeal, flavor and quickly spoil.

So it is with people who are joyful, kind, considerate … they add goodness and “spice” to our lives, making us want to live as alive and sharing life and love. Light gives direction, hope and safety in the midst of darkness. The psalmist writes, “The just person is light in darkness.” The good works of the Gospel will be available for all to see and imitate. They appreciate their gifts and those of others and can become attached to Bishop Fulton Sheen’s mantra, “Life is worth living.”

So I reflect on:

  • I think back to the earliest experiences of hearing someone speak about God.  Were they happy and in love?  Did it spread on to me?
  • I think of the experiences I’ve had of God and haven’t yet put into words or even shared them.  Why not?  In the past I was embarrassed to talk about God…God is my all now.   

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“Light does not change a room: it enables us to see what is in it. It helps us appreciate what is good and beautiful, just as it facilitates avoiding pitfalls. We are children of the light: our lives are illumined by Jesus, the Light of the world (John 8:12). This light helps us to see the hidden hope of glory that is in us. So we can rejoice even in the darkness of the world.”

Comments