Walking with Jesus: Mary, The Mother of God

For New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2023

Numbers 6:22-27, Galatians 4:4-7, Luke 2:16-21

One year ago, on Jan. 1, 2022, Pope Francis delivered this message:

“To government leaders and to all those charged with political and social responsibilities, to priests and pastoral workers, and to all men and women of good will, I make this appeal: Let us walk together with courage and creativity on the path of intergenerational dialogue, education, and work. May more and more men and women strive daily with quiet humility and courage, to be artisans of peace. And may they be ever inspired and accompanied by the blessings of the God of peace.”  

According to Wikipedia, “On 24 February, 2022, Russia invaded Ukraine in a major escalation of the Russo-Ukraine War, which began in 2014. The invasion has likely resulted in tens of thousands of deaths on both sides. It has caused Europe’s largest refugee crisis since World War II.”

So I ask: Did I respond to Pope Francis’ appeal to be an artisan of peace? Have I been a person of peace, love, kindness and caring for the people God has placed in my life? Do I realize that as a Christian, a follower of Jesus, I am called each day to be aware … love … respond … as Jesus did and would? Do I have an example of one who demonstrated that this will help? Yes: Mary. Today’s readings direct our focus on God being a living witness.

Previous readings from the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament, bring into the open the many special advantages God grants the people of Israel: He delivers them from oppressive slavery in Egypt. God also protects them all along the journey to Mount Sinai. Now, as they are marching toward the Promised Land, God grants them the privilege to hear His name and learn what He is about. He is gracious, merciful, patient, loving and faithful. [Exodus 34:6]

Today, Aaron and his sons are privileged to invoke God’s name and blessings upon the Israelites. This promises them God’s assurance of His blessings and goodness. Now they are partners in a covenant relationship with God. God is all around them, keeping them secure from anything that could hinder their progress or threaten their lives. God will give them a peace that is superior to anything the world can supply or offer. This peace is lasting and secure. The word that is used is shalom, which is not just the absence of violence. God fills it totally with His peace … kindness … love … caring … protection … presence. God is peace and love. He gives this to the Israelites; He gives it to each of us. Am I listening? Am I open to receiving it? Am I dedicated to use it, showing God’s love through me to the people He places in my life each day?

Paul shares how Jesus came into the world to fulfill the Father’s plan of salvation. No longer are we slaves to sin. We belong to the Lord. He gives us strength each day to choose His way of compassion, strength, love and peace to all people. Am I listening and receiving this strength in gratitude?

Look at it in this way: When Mary gave birth, she did not think of herself as the Mother of God. The angel told her to name Him Jesus, which means “God saves.” The angel told her that her Son would be “great and would be called ‘Son of the Most High.’” [Luke 1:31-32] But it was beyond imagining that He Himself would be God. Even today, when the shepherds tell her all the things they’ve heard, Mary ponders what it means. Years later when Jesus is “lost” in the temple, when asked, “Where have you been?” he responds, “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” and again Mary keeps all these things in her heart. Mary’s journey to Calvary Hill leads to witness the cross of her Son … reflecting not on whether He comes from God but that He is God. Luke spends much more time on Mary than the other Gospel writers, portraying her not as having all the answers but as having an openness to God ... an openness that derives in part from her commitment to paying attention and mulling over each moment, which is God leading and touching her with Himself — God’s love.

So I reflect on:

  • As I begin another new year, I ask for the grace to look for evidence that the Lord’s face is shining upon me. This means reflecting each day and treasuring in my heart God’s love, care and forgiveness, thus leading me to my home in heaven promised by God to His followers of love.
  • I see that I fill my day with so many things that I think or feel are important. What does this tell me of my journey to the Lord? Can I ask the Lord to give me a few moments … minutes ... even to be attentive to my Lord and God?

Sacred Space 2023 states:

“Mary had a unique relationship with the Blessed Trinity as daughter of the Father, mother of the Son, and spouse of the Holy Spirit. She was ‘full of grace,’ not only for being chosen to be God’s mother but in her total openness to be filled with that love of God.

“We too are constantly ‘graced’ and can live out of this grace more fully  by opening to the call of God as it unfolds in the unique circumstances of our own lives each day.”

Comments