Walking with Jesus: Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, November 13, 2022

Malachi 3:19-20; 2 Thessalonians 3:7-12; Luke 21:5-19

How often we hear the ad … announcement … bulletin … news break ... that announces, “Something great is about to happen!”

Could it be an announcement that the Lottery is even bigger than ever? That someone really famous is coming to town? Maybe a special windfall is near? Or, could it be that someone has predicted the end of the world? A meteor could be crashing into the earth! The polar caps are melting! Maybe we're entering another world war!

Scary, huh? Would I believe such an announcement? What would really move me to action? Would people flock to churches, synagogues and mosques as they did after 9/11? When I hear something like this, does my mind turn immediately to God? Do I catch myself trying to find out everything I can from CNN? Fox? Government websites?

Well it's nothing new. These kinds of announcements come to us every year at this time. 

The Scripture readings during the last weeks of the liturgical year are filled with drama. They call us to be ready. We can start by becoming more aware of our own physical world, paying attention to the way we live and how we are bringing God’s love to others as we prepare for the celebration of God’s incarnation into human life on the feast of Christmas.
 
Let’s look at this from a different direction.

God certainly is a God of surprises. If so many years ago I had known what my life would be like, would I have had the strength to walk forward into it? I thank God for not showing it to me. But You have shown Yourself so many times in so many little ways and amazing ways. You are leading me to Your eternal light, whenever and however that comes. Thank You. Help me. ... Amen!

After the Exile there are troubling times for Israel. They are still under foreign rule and only very slowly recovering from severe economic and demographic conditions. Malachi focuses on additional problems they're facing, including injustice, widespread marital infidelity, and priestly lack of care and concern for those who are hurting. Through the prophet, God continually chastises the people for persisting in many of the same behaviors that led to their Exile. He tells the people there will be a time when the Lord comes in judgment and will consume evildoers but will bring “healing rays” for those who are faithful to Him. How am I in my faithfulness?

Paul knows the people need role models, and he presents himself as one such model. They are to avoid acting in a “disorderly way,” which would be a way that disrupts the peace and well-being of the community. This happens when people sow doubt and dissension about Christian doctrine or refuse to care for the needs of others. They are to trust in God and look to models, even Paul himself, for examples of caring and industriousness. How am I as a model?

Luke shows us how one of the preoccupations of the early Christian communities is their concern over the imminent coming of the Lord at the end of the age: Jesus will come and render judgment on the world. Paul and Mark are convinced, as we see in their writings, that this is going to happen very soon. So everyone should be aware and prepared. In Luke’s time, many of the apostles and followers have already died by persecution and martyrdom. Luke emphasizes that the end times will be a reality that will come unexpectedly ... and even though it is delayed, Christians must live their actions and lives according to Jesus who cares for the poor and lowly, the outcast, the sinner and the afflicted. Their time must be spent living the mercy and compassion of Jesus. Luke is cautious about predicting a time. Jesus makes it very clear that tragic events such as wars, earthquakes, famines and plagues will indeed happen, but cautions us not to be deceived that these are signs of the end. We are to have confidence that God will provide His followers with the wisdom needed to persevere. No matter how bad it gets, believers will win out. How do my actions compare with those of Jesus?

So I reflect on:

  • I know some things, but there is so much I do not know or grasp. I do not know what is to come. How can I persevere, remain faithful, be attentive, and stay strong in trust?
  • Bad things happen. But no matter how dire the situation, the Lord needs me to be trustful. So how do I act? How do I pray and remain close to God?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Pope Francis has highlighted the need for compassion in our dealings with one another. This intervention by Pope Francis may be seen as coming from Jesus, when He said in the gospel text above, ‘I will give you words and wisdom that none of your opponents can withstand or contradict.'”

Comments