Walking with Jesus: Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

For Sunday, November 20, 2022

2 Samuel 5:1-3, Colossians 1:12-20, Luke 23:35-43

In one of the parishes in New York where I was pastor, the director of religious education had an interesting sign on her desk that read: “I am not CEO of the universe.” Being very good at her position, she said she kept this sign to remind her of the important fact that she was not in charge. How often I need to be reminded that the world does not revolve around me. I’m just one of God’s creations trying to live life accordingly. People come to me for advice and help, and I can feel successful — but it is always God who makes it happen: I’m just His humble minister, trying not to get in His way. I need to be reminded of this constantly.

Today is the feast honoring Jesus as King of the Universe. We receive Him in three ways: (1) Christ is King of the Universe where we have a small place, (2) Christ the King desires an intimate relationship with each of us, and (3) Christ the King died on the cross offering us hope and comfort. Do we come to Him with hearts full of gratitude? Do I realize that everything He did was for me, to deepen my love for receiving His unconditional and eternal Love?

The book of Samuel brings to a head the many years of conflict that have existed between Saul and David. Saul is tremendously jealous of David. The Northern Tribes recognize that it is God who has appointed this shepherd to save them and lead them. They feel that they are the flock benefiting from David’s selection by the Lord and his faith in the Lord. Their bond with David is so strong that they describe themselves as “… your bone and your flesh” [2 Samuel 5:1], the same phrase used by Adam when he recognizes Eve as his suitable partner [Genesis 2:23]. It is interesting that when the Northern Tribes come to David, he is living in Hebron which is the final resting place of the patriarchs and their wives. Is it a possibility that David has learned and been inspired by their faith journeys? Who has inspired my faith journey? Am I grateful? Have I put their lessons into practice?

Paul emphasizes his gratitude to the Lord for the Colossians’ faith that “has made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light” [Colossians 1:12]. These holy ones have lived their faith and love in the Lord, who “… created all things in heaven and on earth … in Him all things hold together … He is the head of the church … in all things He Himself might be preeminent … making peace by the blood of His cross.” It’s a wonderful reflection to simply ask ourselves how we view God. Do we see that all He created is for each of us ... making us recognize His total, unconditional love? It shows His presence and enables us to learn, from His love, that it is through His death on the cross that Jesus has brought peace, reconciliation and heaven to us.

The gospel presents Pilate as indifferent to Jesus’ — the prisoner’s — claims. Jesus is a Galilean peasant: How could He even presume to be king of the Jews [Luke 23:1-4]? It's not surprising that Herod and his soldiers treat Jesus in such a mocking, sneering way, and then clothe Him so contemptuously. Why should they show any respect? But then Luke surprises us when one of those condemned with Jesus, dying on his own cross, pleads, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom”  [Luke 23:42]. He seeks mercy and receives it with Jesus declaring to him, “… today you will be with me in Paradise” [Luke 23:24]. This is the only gospel that records this exchange. Jesus’ reign is manifested in mercy and forgiveness. This presents a challenge to everyone today: Do we see Jesus as our King and Savior? Do I realize that I am called to pass on His final example of love, mercy and forgiveness to all I come in contact with? When I am selective, I am like the unaccepting, sneering crowd. When I am grateful, I realize that it’s all about Jesus’ love which summons me to treasure it, be grateful, and share it. I can’t do it alone; I need God’s grace and love which is instantly given … if I ask.

So I reflect on:

  • The repentant condemned could have rejected Jesus’ offer. He didn’t. He reached out to Jesus to save him. Am I accepting God's offers? All of them? Am I selective? God isn’t!
  • Today’s world needs saints whose undivided loyalty is to the Lord. Is mine?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Glamor and splendor mark the presence of earthly royalty. Jesus is not recognizable as king to those expecting power or glory. We need to train ourselves to look for signs of Jesus’ reign. His real identity can be seen only by the humble.

“The ‘good thief’ saw things as they were: He knew his own sinfulness; he recognized Jesus’ character; he asked for little yet was rewarded for his honesty. Humility brings a true perspective and is the ground for meeting God. I pray for humility.”

Comments