Walking with Jesus: Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, August 14, 2022

Jeremiah 38:4-6, 8-10; Hebrews 12:1-4; Luke 12:49-53

I look at Jesus’ words and actions, especially His miracle cures and care for those who were hurting. No matter the individual’s disease, disorder of the mind or body, or whatever had ostracized them from the community, it did not matter to Jesus. They were hurting and Jesus’ full attention was absorbed in their need. Very quickly, He became known as a “healer” … a miracle worker. It did not matter whether the afflicted was a member of the privileged class or considered the “scum” of society; they were hurting, and Jesus hurt with them. He was full of compassion and had pity and mercy on them.

Today’s readings add a significant expansion to what it means to be a Christian. We look at the Gospel of Luke, the physician who was so sensitive to those hurting that he portrayed Jesus as one of gentleness, care and comfort for all peoples ... especially those hurting and even more those who were marginalized. We know this. We know Jesus loved; there's no question about it. We know that He “called a spade a spade” … He was not influenced by the authorities to say the right thing or be “politically correct.” His message was directly from God. Did I pay attention to the first words Jesus spoke in today’s gospel? Listen again: Really listen.

Jesus said to His disciples: “I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing.”

WHAT IS JESUS’ REFERENCE?

In looking at Jesus’ triple command of love, which is the measuring rod of a Christian, we hear strongly His response to a Pharisee’s question: “‘Teacher, which commandment in the law is greatest?’ He said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.’” [Matthew 23:36-40] We see this … we know it … we have tried to put it comprehensively in our lives. AND Jesus asks us today: Have you? Have I? Jesus’ love command has been meant for all peoples of all times, and today Jesus tells us, “How I wish this … love, charity, caring … is blazing.” Have I been on fire with Christian charity? Have I brought souls back into intimacy with God? Have I brought justice and peace into my world? It doesn’t seem that the world has been set ablaze.

Jesus adds, “There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is My anguish until it is accomplished. Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.” [Luke 12:51] What does He mean? The demands of Jesus are so earthshaking and absolute that they will definitely bring us into conflict with the demands of the world. Does our world really want peace? Do I and the people in “my world” really want to love everyone, even the ones we can’t stand, who are different in looks, culture, religious and political aspirations? YES! The demands of Jesus will always bring us into conflict because people definitely want what they want … even if it brings hurt and harm. (This is the job description of Satan.)

Jesus uses the term “baptize,” which comes from the Greek word for dip or submerge, to go underwater. Early Baptism rites called for the baby and individual to be submerged almost to the point of needing to “grasp” for breath … meaning we rise to a New Life in Christ … we die to the old self and put on the new self, Christ life. It encompasses all the great trouble or suffering through which each of us has to pass.  Jesus’ choice of the terms shows us how he feels about His journey to Calvary and the cross … it's not going to be easy … how great will be his distress until it's fulfilled.  It is not easy to love: Jesus’ definition of love entails suffering within and outside those we know, the world we know, and the entire world. All are our brothers and sisters, all the time.

So I reflect on:

  • Is it hard for me to ignore what others think or say of me? I want things to be peaceful and “nice.” The prophet Jeremiah, and the Hebrews to whom Paul writes, were willing to die for Jesus. When have I experienced that fire of faith in myself or others?
  • Lord Jesus, you do not call me to a gimpy discipleship. You ask me to give my all. You gave Your all. Help me to do the same.

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Jesus shed His blood to reconcile us with God and among ourselves. Yet the radicality of His message leads inevitably to division, between those who accept it and those who resist it. Often these divisions run across families. I pray that I may know how to bear the division that being faithful to Jesus and His message can bring to my life. I pray for my family and friends that Jesus can be for us the source of unity rather than division.”

Comments