Walking with Jesus: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, July 17, 2022

Genesis 18:1-10; Colossians 1:24-28; Luke 10:38-42

What is my role in being a disciple of the Lord? Do I feel that I am called to be present to the Lord in being aware and responding to the needs of others? Or do I feel that I have to spend more time being present to the Lord in prayer, adoration, spiritual reading and devotions? What is the right way? Is there a right way? Do I use one way as an escape from doing the other way? Do I notice myself making rationalizations so that I can do what I’m comfortable doing instead of what I am called to do? Is there only one right way? Are these distractors from Satan? Are these distractors from God? What am I called to do? What am I called to be? Does it all really matter to God?

Unfortunately, people try to place themselves in categories. I have heard a number of people say, “Well, I’m just a Martha type” or “I’m a Mary type.” I feel that people sometimes use these statements to justify which “category” they claim to be in. In the parable, they may feel that Jesus is castigating Martha because she has done something wrong. But there is no evidence of that. Is Jesus scolding Martha? No. Let’s go deeper into the readings and our relationship with the Lord.

In the gospel, Jesus simply points out what he knows is in Martha’s heart:  “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.” [Luke 10:41] He cares about Martha. She wants to do the right thing. He just doesn’t want her to feel so anxious and worried. He wants her to be calm … to be at peace. To realize that in being a peaceful person, you spread your joy and contentment to others. That's another way of extending loving hospitality to the people around us.  

Mary, on the other hand, is attentive and absorbed in listening to Jesus. She sits “at the feet of Jesus” ... following the ancient tradition of men sitting at the feet of their teacher or wisdom figure. When it comes down to us, are we talkers or listeners? It is much easier to do the talking than to be the listener. Regardless of which each of us is, one area many of us fail at is being good listeners in our spiritual lives. We talk to God so much that we expect God to do the listening. We want God to be attentive and absorbed in every thought and every word we utter. We expect God to listen to what we have to say. He does. But is it “I” that is dominating the conversation?

It’s like I’m telling God a whole list of the things I need, things I want changed, problems I want solved, so I can live in peace and comfort among the situations that are causing me stress. QUESTION: Does God get a chance to respond? It’s like I'm giving my laundry list to God, making some appropriate suggestions, saying thanks and then concluding with the sign of the cross. Meaning: Times up! That's all this prayer time. See you later, God.

Have I ever considered that God might want to start the conversation? I firmly believe that when we get in front of God, He will start ... not by bawling us out, but by thanking us. Kind of like this:

At the CVS on Oct. 12, 2014, you were so nice to a person you didn’t even know. You listened to that person and they thanked you. I sent you to do just that … to be kind … respectful … responsive. Caring for them as a person … that’s what they so badly needed that day, and you did it. Thank you.

 Mary lets God start the conversation. It takes faith to let God speak first. And it takes faith to believe that what God has to say to you and me is important. God does know what is best for us, and the Holy Spirit is always leading us close to the Father’s love and Jesus’ way of living a Christ-life.

What really matters most is that Mary teaches us to be present to Presence … that is, Love itself. God is always present. Do I talk with Him? Share the day, tell Him where I’m going? Thanking Him for helping me, teaching me, leading me, and most importantly, loving me?

So I reflect on:

  • How can I move beyond my own expectations and be welcoming to all of the gifts and all of the varieties of people that God has created and placed in my life?
  • How can I learn to practice the Presence of God in all things, no matter what I’m doing? How can I be “present to Presence” even when I'm not in church or at prayer time?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Most significant in this story is the attitude taken by Mary, sitting attentively at the feet of Jesus, listening to what He is saying. As a true disciple, Mary recognizes that Jesus has far more to offer her in terms of spiritual nourishment than she or Martha can offer Him. Each of us has to find the balance between service of the Kingdom and moments of serious attentiveness to God. Both the active and contemplative dimensions of Christian life are necessary.”

Comments