Walking with Jesus: Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

For Sunday, June 26, 2022

1 Kings 19:16, 19-21; Galatians 5:1, 13-18; Luke 9:51-62

Sometime or other down through the years, each of us, myself included, have been on a discovery journey: discovering who we are. We have taken made roads … had setbacks … and have come back to this same question … even “run away” from responding to it. Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man, a book set within the context of the African-American experience in the 20th century, responds: “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free." We spend much time to discover who we are so that we can be free and, we could add, “feel free” as well. The questions that resonate inside me are: Who am I? What am I being called to? What is my purpose? Where do I belong?

For me it has been in the context of my Catholic priesthood. But today’s scripture readings highlight that everyone is called by God to be His people of love, care, forgiveness. Do I realize that this is an individual call to each person? Do I realize that every person is called on a unique journey? It is not a journey of pretending to be the person that other people say or think I should  be. Our call involves a Spiritual call, meaning God is inviting me … gifting me … loving me … so that I can take these gifts and pass them on to the people God places in my life. Today’s readings give examples of people’s quests and suggestions for our journey to eternal life.

Elijah has “HAD IT.” He has continually responded to God’s call. Most recently, God has sent him to counteract the so-called prophecies of the Baal prophets who have urged King Ahab to turn away from the commands of God. We read of the event in 1 Kings 18, where Elijah has killed all the false prophets and now is running away from Queen Jezebel. He is planning to take his own life. But God answers this prayer differently, telling Elijah to find another to succeed him and be a mentor to him. He finds Elisha, who responds immediately and impressively. Elisha wants to say goodbye to his parents but comes back because he understands the urgency of the calling he has received. He feeds his people, slaughters his oxen and uses the wood of his plowing equipment for fuel to cook the meat. Initially he feels that is his call: to provide for the physical needs of others. But he will become the person who provides for the spiritual needs of the people of Israel. Do we realize our call follows much of the same outline; that we are called to respond to the people who are needy, hurting, need food, shelter, clothing and much more? But also the spiritual part: showing that they are loved by God, and in receiving this love, they are called to share it and continue the process to be repeated over and over? Do I stop the process because of tiredness or laziness? Or do I continue to be a person knowing I am loved and sharing that love?

Paul is telling the Galatians that they are going about being believers in the wrong way. They seem to have interpreted that “no longer being subject to the Law” means they are free to do whatever they want. Paul says this isn’t freedom, it is slavery to do whatever they want — this is a slavery of a different kind, slavery to the flesh … me … and my selfish concerns. Christian freedom is serving Christ, not resisting God’s will. Christian freedom is freedom to live for Christ and in service to one’s neighbor. The key is: How am I doing in loving others?

Matthew, Mark and Luke only recount Jesus going to Jerusalem once, to His Death, Resurrection and Ascension. Luke's language emphasizes this important final journey. The Samaritans refuse to allow Jesus to cross their territory to get to Jerusalem. The apostles want God to get even: Jesus strongly says NO, God is not a God of getting even, but of love. Next, three would-be followers are confronted with what discipleship means: It is not easy; what is at stake is the Kingdom of God.  Do I realize that my life’s goal is heaven? There are not many ways to get there, only God’s way. His way is the daily way of love … always living, caring, forgiving. The daily question is always: How am I doing? What do I need from God for this journey?  

So I reflect on:

  • How can I help the people God places in my life toward holiness? How can I show them? How they can be accepters and leaders of God’s way to heaven?
  • Paul sums up the whole law with this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” How willing am I in giving? Do I jump in wholeheartedly or just dip a toe into the waters? Do I back off when there is a cost?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Jesus asks for commitment — real commitment. The time for it is  now. On our own road today we must proclaim the kingdom of God. If we keep waiting for the right moment, the sands of time will run quickly through our fingers.”

Comments