Walking with Jesus: Fourth Sunday of Easter

For Sunday, May 8, 2022

Acts 13:14, 43-52; Revelation 7:9, 14-17; John 10:27-30

How do we view what happened in the early church? Do we see it as a foretaste of our path to learning more about God and His leading us to heaven? Do we see as helpful the pitfalls and conflicts that existed with the early Christians, or do we feel comfortable with where we are right now in exercising and practicing our Christianity? If we are comfortable, do we feel God is challenging us every day to go deeper ... to learn and realize the depth of His love?

Do we realize that nowhere in the New Testament is the Church called Catholic? St. Ignatius of Antioch first used the term “catholic” in the first century A.D., and he meant it to differentiate the “whole Church” from local congregations. At first he meant “Catholic” as the all-embracing, universal Church as a whole. The Church soon began using the term to mean “orthodox,” or faithful to the Gospel it had received. “Katholikos” in Greek was meant to designate a universal church. “Catholic” implied that the Church had everything Jesus intended His church to have and do. The Church had the mission to evangelize all the people on earth. This is the mission of every Christian, you and me included. The Book of Matthew ends with the Commission of the Disciples:

The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them. When they saw Him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go, therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” [Matt 28:16-20]

We know this ... we have heard this … and unfortunately it stays hidden in the recesses of our minds. But we DO know that Judaism had NOT thought of itself as having a mission to make converts. It did NOT convert or attempt to convert (proselytize) anyone from another religion to Judaism. The early Christians were on a mission to make disciples of the gentiles. Many were uneasy with this. In Acts 13:47, Luke reminds them of Paul’s words:

For so the Lord has commanded us, “I have made you a light to the Gentiles, that you may be an instrument of salvation to the ends of the earth.”

We are not told to sit and be comfortable in our church pews but that we must “go out” to our neighborhood … work … school … friends … community ... and be witnesses of Jesus’ love and teaching, His forgiveness and mercy. We are to be His instrument to lead those He placed in our lives to know that they are called to heaven and must be echoes of His words and example. This is our commission. This is our duty … our mission ... and it is God’s command. Am I listening? Am I asking for God’s help? Am I making excuses because of busyness, etc.? Am I leaving this work to someone else who is more gifted?

In the first reading from Acts, Paul and Barnabas are continuing their first missionary journey in Perga, then heading to Antioch. They go to the local synagogue but do not remain passive worshippers: They are invited to address the congregation. Paul accepts and announces point-blank that Jesus is the expected Messiah who has been killed and has risen from the dead and offers forgiveness. Will the Messiah “get even” or be mad? Many stay to learn more. God’s grace to hear, believe and be witnesses grows in them. The next week an even larger crowd gathers. Paul and Barnabas respect that the Jews are God’s chosen people who must first hear the Good News (Gospel) of God’s love. Gentiles are likewise invited to eternal life: No one is excluded. How great a reflection as we live our faith and share it: Are we exclusive or inclusive? Do we feel that we have important aspects of our lives of faith to share?

John’s vision in Revelation sees a countless number of people standing before God. They have remained loyal in spite of problems and persecutions. The Good Shepherd looks after them at all times and they are now with Him. Is this my goal? Do I realize it is not just “given” to me? I have to be a witness to Jesus in all things. How am I doing this week?

My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. [John 10:27]

The main point is the conclusion, “The Father and I are one. ...” [John 10:30] Many Jews reject this. They think they know Who and What the Messiah will be. Many people today reject it too:

I know what God wants me to do … I’m a Christian, I know all about God … I’m on the right side with the Lord, not like any of those infidels … pagans … vagrants … migrants … unwelcome nationalities. I’m on God’s side.

But God has no sides. He loves all. He created all. Am I loving all? Am I helping to lead all to His Kingdom?   

So I reflect on:

  • Jesus’ sheep hear His voice … sometimes that’s hard. Good and evil, right and wrong, black and white, can seem like shades of gray. Do I see the Shepherd in all groups?
  • When I leave my prayers, strengthened and refreshed … am I a source of peace? Where am I caring, loving? Who am I leaving out? Do I try to make that right? Do I try? What is God’s message?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Once again, Lord, Your words ease our aching hearts. You know us; You give us Your best gift, which is eternal life; You will defend us from anyone who tries to snatch us away from You. What more can we ask?

“On my side is the invitation to follow You. But do I think of myself as Your follower? My daily prayer helps me to keep You always in view, to listen to Your voice and to deepen the relationship that exists between us. Thank You for this graced time.”

Comments