Walking with Jesus: Third Sunday of Easter

For Sunday, May 1, 2022

Acts 5:27-32, 40-41; Revelation 5:11-14; John 21:1-19

Today I'd like to share a few special one-liners to reflect on as we continue to feel gratitude to Jesus for redeeming, affirming and guaranteeing that heaven is our home:  

(1) “We gave you strict orders … to stop teaching in His name. … Peter said, “We must obey God rather than men. … We are witnesses of these things, as is the Holy Spirt whom God has given to those who obey Him.” [Acts 5:29, 31]

Earlier in this chapter the High Priest and his companions have put the apostles in the public jail because of their preaching and miracles. An angel lets them out during the night and tells them to go to the temple and tell all. Neither Jesus nor his disciples are opposed in principle to the lawful authorities, but their ultimate obedience is to God. They know this will be the case each day as they preach Jesus. Can I say the same? I say I do, but do I? What about you? We live in a society that is pushing us to be pro/con on abortion … civil rights … voting restrictions … Black Lives Matter … gender issues … climate control … guns ... violence in the streets … illegal aliens … and now the Ukrainian refugees. Each group echoes, “We're right, you’re not!” Are we listening to Jesus and the teachings of the Church? Or is this a matter of choice? The apostles of the day certainly didn’t think so. The “authorities” in their lives are demanding total loyalty and absolute obedience. Peter once more “proclaims” God has raised up Jesus to be leader, and it is through Him that repentance and forgiveness of sins will be granted to Israel. “We are witnesses of these things.” Are we? Am I? The authorities “became infuriated and wanted to put them to death.” [Acts 5:33] But Gamaliel, a respected teacher and Pharisee, makes a wise statement that is good for us to remember: Recalling past events he says, “So now I tell you, have nothing to do with these men, and let them go. For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourselves fighting against.” [Acts 5:38-39] Do I realize that Jesus told us there is only one way with God, and that is the way of unconditional love to all? This entails absolute forgiveness, compassion and mercy to all. I reflect on this!

(2) In Revelation, John shares his vision of hearing “… every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, everything in the universe cry out:  ‘To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor, glory and might, forever and ever … Amen.'” [Revelation 5:13]

“Amen” is a declaration of affirmation used in Jewish, Christian and Islamic worship as a concluding word, a response to a prayer which expresses solemn ratification, agreement. “So be it,” it is translated. Is God my God? If He is, everything that comes from Him is a solemn declaration that is leading us to our home in heaven. Right?

(3) The disciples go fishing and catch nothing. Coming back they notice Jesus cooking, and John, the disciple whom Jesus loves, shouts out, “It is the Lord.” [John 21:7]

A wonderful reflection, a particulars examin as St. Ignatius Loyola says, at the end of day is to reflect on what has happened: Did I see Jesus? Where? In whom? Was there a message for me? Was I aware that He was leading me, loving me? How aware am I that Jesus is always present to me, caring for me, leading me, loving me?

(4) “Do you love me more than these … Do you love me … Do you love me?” [John 21:15-17]

It’s humbling and scary to be asked this question, and Jesus asks it of Peter three times. He asks the same question of us. We are not to hide or be afraid because of the huge multitude of our sins, but to look at what Jesus is saying. He is not the victim of human injustice, even though those who killed him are unjust people. Jesus chooses to offer His life for others so that they … we ... can see God’s love revealed on the Cross. [John 3:16]

John never treats the cross as Jesus’ humiliation, but as His triumph into glory with the Father in heaven. His death is not evidence of Roman power. We and all followers of Jesus are commanded to love each other as Jesus does, which He explains at the Last Supper: “I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” [John 13:34-35]

This enables us to look for ways of relieving human suffering.

So I reflect on:

  • At what time of day does the Spirit of God touch me most? Am I open in giving some moments of quiet at this time?
  • The early martyrs gave all that they had for Jesus. Christians in many parts of the world are persecuted for their faith. What does it mean to me to give all that I have for God?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Aren’t there moments in times of need when help seems to come from an unexpected source and we sense the presence of the Lord? The unexpected catch of fish was such a moment for the disciples. Pray for light to recognize such a moment in the recent past.”

Comments