Walking with Jesus: 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Isaiah 6:1-2, 3-8; 1 Corinthians 15:1–11; Luke 5:1-11

Who is the most famous person I have stood next to, been in conversation with, talked one on one with? How did I feel? Was I honored to be with them? Was I listening to their every word, watching their every gesture? Was I impressed or unimpressed with their “persona?” Did I feel important because I was with them? Did they reflect the image of Jesus? This would demonstrate if they “liked themselves” or if they realized the value and importance of each person versus a “nobody.”

One song/hymn that seems to get everyone singing in many congregations and churches is How Great Thou Art. It was written by Carl Boberg, a Swedish preacher who wrote the lyrics after a unique experience on the southeast coast of Sweden in 1885. He was caught in a violent thunderstorm. Mormon Channel’s History of Hymns described it thus: “Bobery’s inspiration for ‘How Great Thou Art’ came from a visit to a beautiful country estate on the southeast coast of Sweden. He got caught in a midday thunderstorm with awe-inspiring moments of flashing violence followed by a clear, brilliant sun.  Soon afterward he heard the calm, sweet songs of the birds in nearby trees. He fell on his knees in humble adoration of his mighty God.” It’s quite a different thing being in the presence of a person, even a famous person, and realizing that God is present to each of us all the time.
      
In the readings today:

  • We hear Isaiah being caught up in the scene of God’s “throne room,” the Holy of Holies in the temple. The “fearsome” seraphim whose name means “burning ones” are God’s agents preparing the prophet for his mission.
  • We are reminded of Paul being a persecutor of Jesus and then being a preacher to the Gentiles of the death and resurrection of Christ.
  • We hear of Peter being told to drop his nets and responding, “I have fished all night … there are no fish here!” But he casts his net and is shocked at the huge catch. Then, getting on his knees, he exclaims, “Depart from me Lord, I am a sinful man.”

So what is it like to be in the Lord’s presence? So many times, I have seen God alive in me, with me. Peter isn’t awestruck by the radiance of the sunset on the lake but by the miracle of the huge catch of fish. Paul is amazed that he has been visited by the Lord and has been chosen to be what he's opposed to be: a follower of Jesus. Isaiah just wants to be a normal person, but the majesty, holiness and glory of the Lord take control of him as he gains a new awareness of human pettiness and sinfulness. In each man, a gap between God and humanity ... and yet all are called to spread the word of God’s love and care. All people are important and loved. Am I tuned in to the presence of God in my life? We now look deeper into the readings.

Isaiah’s reading begins with the death of King Uzziah. Kings and rulers die but Israel’s true king is eternal. Do we put too much dignity and importance on earthly rulers? Isaiah has told the people of their sinfulness and to change their ways … and they have resisted. Now Isaiah sees a heavenly vision where God sits in judgment and recognizes Isaiah's own uncleanliness as well as that of God’s people. Before they can be cleansed, they must first admit their sinfulness before the Lord. Do I accept the fact that I am a sinner and can only be changed, reformed by God’s grace? Do I ask for it? Why do I want to hang on to those “nice sins” I enjoy dreaming about?

Paul remarks that after Jesus’ resurrection, He appears to a number of His disciples of whom Paul is last because he is the most unworthy of disciples.  He had persecuted and even killed Jesus’ disciple Stephen. Yet in spite of his sinful past, Christ’s grace has enabled him to work harder than those who are more deserving of being called apostles. Why? Because he was grateful to be touched, forgiven, chosen by God to be His preacher. So often we feel we are not worthy because of all the wrongs we have done and that God cannot love us anymore. St. Paul’s letter to the Corinthians not only shows us that God not only loves us but needs each of us to love those we encounter each day because we have been loved first.

Peter finally gets it through his head that God has called him as He has called each of us. He is afraid and looks at his failures and sinfulness. We do the same. Jesus stops Peter cold in his tracks with the injunction: “Do not be afraid.” [Luke 5:10] This phrase is a daily reminder from God to live every day being fearless. It is quoted in the Bible 365 times. It is the most frequently used phrase. Am I listening to God’s message in this phrase? Am I afraid to believe this? Do I ask God for the help I need to know that He loves me? He does, every moment, every day.

So I reflect on:

  • What stops me in my tracks? What amazes me? What causes me to be astonished by God’s presence? Have I shared this with others?
  • Jesus calls Peter to keep on fishing, not for fish but for human followers to show them the way to God. Isaiah is called to speak with his newly clean tongue. You and I are called in our own unique way, with our own unique talents and gifts to show how God loves us. Does this frighten or energize me? Do I ask God for help? He says I’m totally prepared for this!

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“Peter knows better than Jesus. Are there occasions when I believe that life should be different for myself or others; that God should have arranged things differently? Think of occasions when you were thinking in this way and speak to the Lord about them.”

Comments