Walking with Jesus: The Baptism of the Lord

Isaiah 40:1-5, 9-11; Titus 2:11-14, 3:4-7; Luke 3:15-16, 21-22

I imagine many of us, at different times in our lives, have wanted to start over in a more positive way. I’m suggesting we like to go back and change the situations that perhaps have caused a little too much turmoil in our lives, and to be the person we would be much more comfortable with. Many of us have done this before in varying degrees. We’ve made New Year’s resolutions. We’ve made Lenten promises to give up … or stop being … an uncomfortable person to be around, but rather one who is somehow responding to the Lord. When we review our past records, we are not too pleased with the results because we keep falling back to the person we were:  an uncomfortable being. Could it be that we start with goals that are non-reachable? Could it be that we don’t accept the fact that we were born in sin and that Jesus has redeemed each of us?

Could it be that we want to be totally successful in our relationship with the Lord so that everyone will realize that we are Saints First Class, the highest of the highest? Perhaps we do this in much the same way that we take on a specific diet to lose more than 50 pounds … or we take these golf lessons and get these high priced clubs so that we can break Tigers’ and Jack Nicklaus’ records. Could it be that I want to be the best I can possibly be, or am I cloud-headed in thinking that I can even be the best that I want to be? What goal am I working toward? Do I want my marriage to be perfect … my kids to be perfect … my life to be perfect … for me to be perfect? Let's stay with this for a moment and look at these “goals” from God’s eyes. What does God want of me? What does He need of me? God’s goal for every person ever created is to be with Him in heaven forever.

The very first line of the gospel contains a single but unique word that each scripture writer uses a little differently ... yet it seems that this word may contain the key for how each person can know God’s goal for each of us. That word is expectation. Do we have the same expectations that God has for each of us? The same hopes … the same dreams … the same goals? Have I given up on these goals? Why? God never gives up on anyone. That being the case, how can I maintain God’s pace and plans?

The book of Isaiah is divided into three sections. The first part, encompassing the first 35 chapters, deals with Isaiah speaking to his contemporaries about the power, wealth and influence of Judah while simultaneously being spiritually decadent. God looks for righteousness and justice amid the cries of the oppressed, and Isaiah says that judgment is coming. The second part, chapters 36 through 39, deals with the historical bridge between the first and third sections by introducing one of the causes of the Babylonian captivity. The third and final part, chapters 40 through 46, focuses on God’s response: not only of condemnation, but comfort. Isaiah describes the Babylonian captivity, which will take place at least 130 years later, to the people: The temple will be rebuilt and Judah will be restored. This will be done by the Servant of the Lord, the one through whom God will accomplish His purposes for the Israel and the world. God’s plan has arrived. Isaiah describes what the servant will be like: He will bring forth justice, which means righteousness, to the nations. He will not do this in a loud and forceful, intimidating way, but with love and compassion. He will open people’s eyes both physically and spiritually. He will free people from the prisons in which they enslave themselves: the prisons of sin and selfishness. He will humble Himself to come down to our level. The Messiah is the Divine physician who comes to heal us. Will the people … will we ... allow ourselves to be healed?

The Letter to Titus urges readers to evaluate every aspect of their lives in light of what Jesus has taught, and to follow the examples of His life and live accordingly. Jesus tells us to give up our godless ways and live in kindness, generous love and mercy. Baptism is not just a one-time ritual or milestone, but a continuing experience of transformation as Jesus led and showed us. Am I living this way? Am I allowing Him to teach me and lead me? What is blocking me?

At the time the gospels were being written, some of John the Baptist’s disciples were claiming that he, not Jesus, was the Messiah. All the gospels refute this and the strongest objection comes from John himself. He claims to baptize only in water, but Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire … a metaphor symbolizing that John can only work with souls on a natural level, strengthening them with virtue. Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit, strengthening them with the power of Pentecost just as fire completely transforms whatever it burns. This is why He is the Messiah, the anointed one sent to fill the breach between God and man. No one else can be the Messiah because no else can bridge the infinite gap between God and us.

So I reflect on:

  • I look back and see how I’ve experienced God transforming me and my life. What has that been like? Have I noticed that I’ve never been alone?
  • A suggestion I read was to pray an old verse: “Come Holy Spirit, and renew the face of the earth” ... and then be ready for whatever comes. Is God calling me on a specific path this year?

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“God always speaks to Jesus in an intimate and joyful fashion. He says; ‘You are My Beloved Son, I am pleased with You. I love You deeply. Your whole being springs from Me. I am Your Father.’ Jesus answers, ‘Abba,' beloved Father.’ His whole life reveals trust. He hands Himself over unconditionally to His Father.

“God, I ponder this love that You have also lavished upon me, calling me Your child. You are the tender and compassionate Mother of my life. You are the faithful Father, the Rock on which I stand. Your love is everlasting. Your faithfulness is eternal.”

Comments