Walking with Jesus: 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Isaiah 62:1-5; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11; John 2:1-11

We are never too young to be a part of God’s plan … AND … we are never too old to be a part of God’s plan. So the question today is even deeper: Do I realize that I am a part of God’s plan? Do I feel that I am important enough to be a part of God’s plan? Do I feel I am gifted enough to be a part of God’s plan? How do I know that I am a part of God’s plan?

Do I want to be a part of God’s plan?

When I look at the world that I am a part of I can see God’s beauty all around. I also see much of the beauty of the world’s hurt because of foolishness and unconcern in protecting God’s gift. And people not seeing the gift of themselves and the gifts and beauties of others and sharing them without exception.  A song has been going through my mind: What a Wonderful World, performed so perfectly by Louis Armstrong. I did some research: Its creators were producer Bob Thiele and songwriter George David Weiss, whose hope was that Armstrong’s grandfather image would help convey the song’s political message. I did not know it was a political message. Its release year, 1968, saw a number of race riots and curfews that spread over 100 major cities. There were fears of a second civil war and the violence included attacks on Jewish shops. The writers saw Mr. Armstrong as the “perfect ambassador to restore race relations between white people like them and the African-American community.”

I see trees of green, Red roses too. I see them bloom. For me and you.
And I think to myself. What a wonderful world.

So when I see wrongs and injustices, do I feel I have an assignment from God to love? I use the excuse, well, I’m busy or I hurt too: Then I hear the pleas of musical group REM’s Everybody Hurts: a song they wrote to save people’s lives, specifically to stop teens from committing suicide. Its music and lyrics go to the heart:

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone
when you’re sure you’ve had enough of this life, well hang on
don’t let yourself go 'cause everybody cries everybody hurts sometimes
sometimes everything is wrong, now it’s time to sing along

When I read the first two lines of Isaiah’s prophecy stating, “I will not be silent … I will not be quiet” [Isaiah 62:1], I have the urge to react, “Now what are you doing about this, Lord? Show Yourself in our world of hurt and sorrows.” And we hear the response we don’t like, I did: “I created, gifted and blessed you to be my ambassador and deliverer of love to your world in My name and with My blessings.” As we begin the Gospel accounts of Jesus’ public life, we hear His call of the apostles and of me and you to continue to be Jesus: God’s love to the world.

How am I doing? I look to the readings for direction and guidance.

Isaiah has been changing course for the last few chapters, proclaiming the role of the Messiah to bring good news and comfort to the afflicted; also to bring freedom, love and compassion while calling on each follower to respond, steering people closer to God. God has never abandoned anyone; each person has an intimate bond with God, like the bond between husband and wife.

Paul elaborates on the spiritual gifts with which God enriches each person. “To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit.” [1 Corinthians 12:7] Paul is reminding the Corinthians that pride in these gifts has led to divisions: “Look at me and all I have, how special I am.” But these gifts are meant to be shared. In sending out the Twelve, Jesus instructed them: “As you go, make this proclamation: The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. WIthout cost you have received, without cost you are to give.” [Matthew 10:7-8] The same direction is given to me as a priest and to each of you, my readers, as an instruction: We have been gifted for the purpose of sharing, caring, loving and forgiving. How are we responding?

The story of the wedding feast at Cana is the first of seven songs around which half of John’s Gospel is structured. (Chapters 1-12 are referred to as “The Book of Signs.” These signs are the special “work” that Jesus has been given by His Father.) Jesus certainly has done a very charitable act by “saving the day” for the newly married couple. What is it a sign of? God’s  abundant generosity and the fulfillment of His promises to provide for you, me and every disciple He has chosen to be Jesus to our individual world. It is an interesting by-product that we hear in Mary’s exchange with her son that Jesus never intended to be a sign of God’s power at this wedding, but the opportunity presented itself and He supplied what was needed at that moment. What a message for me and you: Each day is full of little moments that offer us opportunities to serve: to be a sign. When we respond … when we use our spiritual gifts in the service of the Lord ... we extend God’s care, delight, joy and happiness to those in need. WE BRING CHRIST TO THEM. That is all we are asked to do. Have Mercy on me Lord, help me be You. Amen.

So I reflect on:

  • Today’s Gospel can be seen on many levels: from a miracle story, to the remarks on God’s generosity, to the richness of the heavenly banquet. All these show different ways God is revealed in the world today. What is my responsibility in letting this happen in my world?
  • Lord, show Yourself through me. I have much more living and serving to do before I am done; give me Your grace to accomplish this. Amen.

Sacred Space 2022 states:

“According to the Jewish Scriptures, when the Messiah comes there shall be an abundance of new wine, a symbol of God’s abundant goodness towards His people. That Jesus turns so much water into the best of wines is a ‘sign’ that He is in fact the long-awaited Messiah.”

Comments