Walking with Jesus: 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jeremiah 31:7-9; Hebrews 5:1-6; Mark 10:46-52

What do I want from God? My response would be: a lot! While reflecting on this, I have to ask further clarifications because it’s good to examine my own motivation. Do I want things mainly for myself or for those I love? Do I consider a wider audience than just family and friends? Do I feel I have to be in a “holy mode” … a less-than-a-sinner mode ... to be able to ask God for help? Is my appeal for things rather than help in living the life I’m called to live? Do I believe that God loves me so much that He wants me to have all I want and need? Am I selfish in my wanting? Do I limit asking God because too many ask God continually and I can get along by myself? Does my God fulfill my every wish, my every want, my every need? Do I want a God who fixes my problems and cures my ills and brings happiness? Is my wish list too incredible for God? Does my wish list contain things that can become obstacles to faith? Is my image of God the same image of God I held as a child?

Some reflective points:

  • It is easy to believe in God when times are good, but it is much less easy when times are bad.
  • God allows many things to happen that cause pain and disappointment, and many struggle to believe in a God who loves us when times are bad. Does this happen to me?
  • Jesus said to the blind man seeking a cure, “What do you want Me to do for you?” [Mark 10:51] What do I want Jesus to do for me? Do I ask or am I reluctant to ask? Why or why not?

The first part of Jeremiah’s book focuses on God’s impending judgment on Jerusalem and Judah because of their persistent and serious breaking of their covenant promises with God. Jeremiah insists that when Babylon destroys Jerusalem and brings so many people into exile, they should be happy because God will rescue them and hasten their return to the Promised Land. Not even their years of infidelity can erase this primary relationship between God and Israel. God speaks these words in the preceding chapter: “You shall be My people, and I will be your God.” [Jeremiah 30:22] The exiled people must be feeling that because of their spiritual blindness, sins and ignorance of God’s ways, they have lost it all and God doesn’t care about them anymore. But though they're like rebellious children, the heavenly Father still regards them as His firstborn, worthy of an inheritance only heaven can provide. It is the same for each of us. What blocks me from realizing that God’s love is forever?

Paul continues to develop the theme of Jesus as the eternal High Priest. According to divine law, high priests have to be from the tribe of Aaron: No one can just assume this role. So Jesus doesn't take this role upon Himself; He's appointed by the Father who acknowledges Him as Son and High Priest. Jesus represents us before God as our protector, defender and lover. Do I let God love me just the way I am or do I have to put on my “goody personality?”

In Mark, Jesus has just finished telling the Apostles that as the Messiah He will have to suffer greatly, die and be raised up. [Mark 8:32-38; 9:30-37; 10:32-45] You would imagine that they understand Jesus. Now a blind beggar, Bartimaeus, who could not possibly know anything about Jesus, enters and says, “He is the Son of David.” This is a messianic title and he believes that Jesus can cure him of his blindness. Jesus asks, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man replies, “I want to see.” [Mark 10:51] Now the people are embarrassed by the sudden appearance of this blind man and they try to quiet him ... but he becomes even louder. Jesus calls him; seemingly a nice gesture but calling implies more: Jesus is calling the man to discipleship and healing. Mark is saying that Bartimaeus becomes a disciple of Jesus; why else would Mark record his full title, “Bartimaeus, son of Timaeus?” That is why, as he travels about telling of his cure, people will see and know the faith of Bartimaeus. What a message for us! Bartimaeus pleads with Jesus to help: “Son of David, have pity on me.” [Mark 10:48] Don’t we consider ourselves sinners? We begin every Mass with a confession of our sins. We are forgiven, redeemed sinners. Bartimaeus throws aside his cloak, giving a clear sign that he is ready for something new. Am I? Do I know God just loves me? Do I let Him?

So I reflect on:

  • Many times I, like Bartimaeus, have seen God’s mercy. Have I forgotten? Do I take this for granted? Do I share my stories? Do I continually express my gratitude? Disciples do this!
  • What little thing might the Holy Spirit inspire me to do that might lessen someone’s hurt and misery through my act of mercy? Am I reluctant to help one in need?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“Like the people who scolded Bartimaeus, telling him to be quiet and not bring shame on them, I may sometimes prefer to keep the less presentable parts of my life out of Jesus’ sight. Thinking of this scene, I realize that Jesus wants to stop, listen to my plea for help, and cure me.

“Bartimaeus threw off his cloak — his only protection — and being blind, risked not finding it again. I allow myself to be before Jesus unshrouded, seen as I am, trustingly expressing my need.”

Comments