Walking with Jesus: 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Numbers 11:25-29; James 5:1-6; Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48

The readings today ask us to reflect on groups of people or even the individuals we have a difficult time understanding, helping or responding to ... including the ones who create a great deal of animosity within each of us. For the first 23 years of my priesthood I was a teacher and, later on, an administrator in Catholic high schools. Did I have favorite students? Definitely. I also had difficult ones. Sometimes I was able to see that their backgrounds, health and student ways led to their problems in the classroom. I frequently tell the story of one with whom I had the most difficulty: He was consistently disruptive in class, didn’t use his gifts for learning and only occasionally did homework. I was inwardly pleased when he was absent for class. One day I ate humble pie: He was the first student to enter class and said, “Hiya Padre, how are you today?” I responded, “My sinuses are killing me.” The immediate thought I had was that oh, now that he knows, he will be miserable to me all class. But right away he responded, saying, “I know how you feel, mine are the same way.” And he was the best student I had that day. I learned well and from an unexpected, surprising source. God always seems to be doing that: How well am I listening? I come to relationships with expectations and preconceived notions based on other experiences and relationships. Are they correct? On occasion. But they are prejudgments, which often are prejudiced. “Prejudge” is defined as “to judge before full hearing or examination.” The definition for “prejudice” is “damage; esp.: detriment of one’s rights or claims … an opinion made without adequate basis.” How do I view people, my relationships? With love all the time?

Some reflective questions: Would I be grateful if a criminal helped me out of a ditch? Or if the person who solved my financial problems belonged to the other political party?

  • Moses quiets the disgruntled complainers saying he is not concerned where prophesying happens … where one utters and shows God’s love; he is just glad that it does.
  • James has strong words for those who use their wealth to satisfy their own desires rather than the needs of others.
  • One thing is certain: We tolerate a lot. Jesus teaches that while showing us His patience and tolerance. Am I learning from Him and hearing His warning about not causing scandal?

The first reading shows us again how, while continuing their long, wandering journey to the Promised Land, the Israelites become disgruntled and complain. Moses begs God to end his life: “I cannot carry all these people by myself … plead do me the favor of killing me at once, so that I need no longer face this distress.” [Numbers 11:14-15] A thought not far from some of our own depressing moments. God responds by gifting 70 elders with the same divine spirit graced upon Moses so that they can share the burden. Two who are not present immediately begin to prophesy, and naturally some are jealous. Moses sets them straight, saying he wishes that all the people could be filled with God’s word and proclaim that word as prophets do. Can’t we? If we are living with God’s love, shouldn’t living it be easy?

James tells the wealthy that their wealth is transient and may not last throughout their lives. When they die, they will discover the true wealth they possess. That has to do with love, caring, helping the needy, and being responsive to those who have concerns that are not cared for, rather than what buys them more to satisfy themselves.

Jesus addresses the themes of tolerance and intolerance and spells out the demands for entering the Kingdom of God. Am I protecting “little ones” from scandal? Am I helping those in need in any way? The young have shared stories: a ninth-grader date-raped by a senior football player … a 16-year-old abused in his youth group … a child molested by a trusted family friend … the testimony from the female Olympic gymnasts. Anger within … rage even. Jesus responds: “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for them if a great millstone were put around their neck and were thrown into the sea.” [Mark 9:38] Sin does not please God. Am I trying to uproot sin in my life, or do I just tolerate it because I like it ... or I'm trying, with God’s grace, to uproot it from my life? God loves the good and whoever does it. Evil cannot be tolerated because it opposes the very good that God loves.

So I reflect on:

  • I respond so much to inhumanity, mistreatments and evil. What do I do about it? Do I realize that my voice can be a loud voice? Am I a Christian when I do not respond?
  • My response can be necessary and needed. Sometimes it can hinder or damage my relationships. Am I afraid to act? Do I hold back? What am I hearing from Jesus?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“Discipleship is not some personal privilege to be jealously guarded. We have no monopoly on Jesus. Appreciation of the good deeds done by others is essential. In His kingdom, power-seeking and rivalry have no place: They are obstacles and causes of scandal.

“Lord, self-renunciation and attention to the needs of our brothers and sisters are the hallmarks of belonging to You. You call me to be a stepping stone for others, not a stumbling block.”

Comments