Walking with Jesus: 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

Joshua 24:1-2, 15-18; Ephesians 5:21-32; John 6:60-69

We are all created out of love. Have we ever reflected on what this means? So many times in my life and in each person's life, we have felt needed, understood, appreciated and, hopefully, accepted and loved. Then there are times when we have wondered if we could ever be loved because we have felt put down, ridiculed, mocked, made to feel like we were part of the woodwork and, too many times, abused. This has never been from God. Jesus came to deliver God’s message that had not been understood throughout Salvation History: God created each person out of love, and at every moment loves each person and wants them and us to know that. We have fallen through the cracks too often, and when this happens it leaves us with a bitter taste and makes it difficult for us to be God’s instrument of love.

We can even feel this in the second reading, where a frequent misinterpretation of Paul’s letter and the time he wrote it leaves a bitter note. In Exploring the Sunday Readings, leading theologian Alice Camille explains it this way: “Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ. [Ephesians 5:21] I know, I know. In this much-quoted passage the relationship of spouses isn’t drawn equally and that concerns us. It should. Two millennia have passed since the ancients determined the proper dealings between women and men — and between parents and children, and enslaved persons and those who exploited them. Everything around us has evolved since then and is now understood at least a little better, including the nature of marriage and family, the dignity of persons, and the value of our labor. How genders perceive each other is, in our generation, under thoughtful review. One pearl to be gleaned here is the attitude of mutual subordination. What if we all deferred to each other for the sake of Christ? What if we truly saw Christ in each other? It would be a revolution in understanding.”

So, we ask ourselves, in what ways are we becoming more aware of Jesus as the one who brings God’s peace? How am I living the Lord’s peace and love? In which relationships is it easy to see Christ? In which is it most challenging? We turn to today’s readings for God’s message of help.

Joshua’s days of leading the Israelites are drawing to a close (Joshua 23:14). They have arrived in the Promised Land. Moses has died on the eastern side of the Jordan River. Joshua leads them to their new land and has divided the tribes into territories. Joshua is concerned about their commitment to the Covenant. He has seen signs of spiritual laziness and lack of devotion. He puts it to them bluntly and challenges them to choose whether or not they will serve the Lord God. He enumerates the many good things God has done for them (Joshua 24:3-13). They could choose to worship any local deities, but why would they? The God of Israel has given them this Promised Land. They have followed the leadership of Moses, and now Joshua shows them what leaders do. He and his whole household will serve the Lord; will they? They all respond YES!

Do people look upon our commitment and love of God and see that we are real and sincere? That’s how we have strengthened our belief through the great examples of faith from those who have touched us, taught us, loved us and lived their faith ... and we passed this on.

Paul continues to develop for the Ephesians the idea of the church as a reflection of the attributes of God. This is done by showing “mutual subordination” which is seen in a willingness to serve the other. We humbly receive God’s love and act on it by caring for the poor and the needy in our lives and throughout the world. Seeing love is believing. Is my love seen? Is it restrictive?

Today’s passage from John concludes the Bread of Life Discourse (John 6:22-69). A good number of Jesus’ disciples have serious doubts about what Jesus has been saying: How can this be, “whoever eats My flesh and drinks My Blood has eternal life, and I will raise them on the last day?” [John 6:54] Jesus is not saying this in a metaphorical or symbolic way. He means exactly what He says and who He is, which in itself is a mysterious gift from the Father. Many disciples leave in disbelief and skepticism; the rest stay. Somehow they know that what they have witnessed and heard puts credence to their belief in the Messiah. This is the sixth chapter, and Jesus continues to fill in the blanks ... easing their confusion during the remaining fifteen chapters. He molds these disciples into people who know they are loved and need to share God’s love and, by their example, be leaders for God. Peter said, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that You are the Holy One of God.” [John 6:69] It is one thing to hear and see Jesus; it is quite another to embrace what He says as our blueprint for life. The question: Does anyone have a better answer that will bring peace?

So I reflect on:

  • Do I sometimes I move away from the fact that I have been loved and cared for, and can’t figure out what is the matter with me? Have I been thinking only of me and not sharing, perhaps?
  • How far am I willing to go to share my faith journey with those I’m with? They might not understand, but how are they seeing my love?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“Lord, how deeply do I desire this transforming relationship you offer me? You want to raise me to the level of ‘spirit and life.’ St. Irenaeus said long ago, ‘The glory of God is the human person fully alive.’ I know that I’m only half-alive at best, so here and now I ask You to work on me so that I become more like you. You are fully alive as a human being, and this is because You are totally open to God.

“Make that happen to me, whatever it takes! Take me by the hand, hold me tight, and bring me along with You, so I shall become like You.”

Comments