Walking with Jesus: 13th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Wisdom 1:13-15, 2:23-24; 2 Corinthians 8:7, 9, 13-15; Mark 5:21-43

Today we ask: What is our vision of God? Is God a punisher? Is God a lover? Does God get even? Do I feel God is in control of my life? Do I want more freedom? Where am I with God?

Do you remember the Gospel passage from St. Mark last week (Mark 4:35-41)? Just before this passage, Jesus has been teaching a crowd on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. He then boards the boat and tells the apostles to go across the lake ... and a horrendous storm blows up as Jesus sleeps in the stern. The apostles are scared out of their wits, terrified of drowning. They awaken ... probably shaking ... Jesus, who stands up, calms the storm and says, “Why are you terrified? Did you not yet have faith?” Then they go back across the lake, where Jesus cures the Gerasene Demoniac [Mark 5:1-20, Mark 4:40]. We go right into today’s Gospel: “When Jesus had crossed again in the boat to the other side, a large crowd surrounded Him, and He stayed close to the sea.” [Mark 5:1] And Jesus proceeds to work two miracles, saying: “Daughter, your faith has saved you” [Mark 5:34] and “Jesus said to the synagogue official, 'Do not be afraid; just have faith.’” [Mark 5:36]

In the storm-tossed boat, Jesus is again reminding His disciples of the need and depth of trusting and having faith in God. They, and we, need to place our trust in God. Their faith has been wavering … uncertain … in need of a big boost … still wondering if Jesus is the Messiah … and if so, is He sent by God or is He God? It all comes down to faith. I ask myself, where is my faith today? Do I realize that God is touching me each day and leading me to a deeper knowledge of the wonders of His creation and the beauty of those who surround me? Do I reflect on the fact that deepening my faith involves living my faith? This means being the person that Jesus lived, taught and was God’s wisdom figure on love, caring, and responding to all those in need. Today’s readings give us helpful suggestions.

In the Book of Wisdom we see centuries of reflection based on the first chapters of Genesis: God is the creator … God created all in love … God created humanity to live earthly life followed by life eternally with God. God needs us to be His witnesses of love to all we encounter. It is only due to the conspiracy designs of the snake (the devil, Satan) that humanity has experienced death. Wisdom spells this out in the verse preceding today’s reading: “Court not death by your erring way of life, nor draw to yourselves destruction by the works of your hands.” (Wisdom 1:12] Satan has tried to build an obstacle to God’s plan … but God’s plan remains because each of us is involved in God’s plan of life and redemption. Today’s reading is warning us of our responsibility of being love. God does not lead people to being destructive elements in the world, but to be instruments of His love. Am I living in a right relationship with God, reflecting Him in my life, remaining on the path that leads to eternal life? It comes down to honoring the gift of life: my own, as well as my neighbor's, the stranger's and the planet's. God’s plan is all-inclusive and dependent on me, AND God gives each person the ability and the grace to accomplish this. Am I listening?

Paul is giving the Corinthians a practical example of caring, asking for help for the needy in Jerusalem. He challenges them since they have been given much to realize that this is a gift and to give in turn to those in need. Like the manna in the desert that was shared with all, so should our gifts be shared. It comes down to a reflection: How do I respect life by sharing my resources with those who have less?

Both Gospel stories include the number 12: a 12-year-old girl and a woman inflicted with hemorrhages for 12 years. Is this a gentle reminder to the 12 apostles who are in need of trusting and having the faith in God that was missing in the storm on the Sea of Galilee? Is it a reminder to you and me? God has never abandoned His people. In the person of Jesus, He heals those who are sick and shows a path to His plan; a better way of living, leading us to eternal life. God never gives up on us, no matter how many times it takes for you and me to allow His plan to take hold. It was the touch of Jesus that restored both the woman with the hemorrhages and the young girl. Am I allowing God to touch me each day? Am I touching people in need in my life, or am I selective in responding? Jesus never was. Jairus and the sick woman in today’s gospel are models of such trust and faith. Jairus put aside his position in the community to come to Jesus and ask for help. The woman fought through the crowd and the apostles just to touch Jesus’ cloak. Jesus calls each of us to mirror God’s hope for those in need and to continue to seek out His help in doing this.

So I reflect on:

  • How can the Holy Spirit awaken my awareness of “the other person” so that I may live with greater compassion? Where are my blockages?
  • God is the source of all faith. Faith is a gift, the movement of the Holy Spirit within each person. Faith grows as our YES responses grow and shrinks as our NO replies compound.

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“Perhaps you are suffering right now: burning with anger at someone who has hurt you, or unable to forgive an old hurt, or you are a bit depressed. Talk with the woman who had been in pain for 12 years. Listen to her telling you to touch Jesus’ cloak. Imagine doing that. This is not magic but a meeting with Jesus, asking for His help: Touching God carries its own healing powers. Prayer can often feel like touching only the hem of Jesus’ garment, but it is authentic when, like the woman, you tell the Lord ‘the whole truth.’ In ways that may surprise you, ‘the truth sets your free.’” (John 8:32)

Comments