Walking with Jesus: Second Sunday in Ordinary Time B

1 Samuel 3:3-10, 19; 1 Corinthians 6:13-15. 17-20; John  1:35-42

Do I dream? Yes! Do I remember my dreams? Seldom!  Has God spoken to me in my dreams? Absolutely! This has been a gradual awareness for me. I have been pondering what to do … what to say … how to approach a difficulty I’m having in a relationship. So often, an approach comes to me in my dream ... it kinda says … why don’t you try … this will work … try it … I bring this to the person and it works. Is this God acting in and through me? I absolutely believe that. So does God talk to me? Yes!  Does God talk to everyone? Yes! God loves each and every one of us at every moment of our lives. God loves since that is what God is all about. I believe God loves us especially when we do not love ourselves. Why? Because if we know we are loved then we will be able to love more deeply and completely. When I have these ‘dreams’ and God suggests a course of action … and I try it … and it succeeds, I am a happier individual because I’m a part of God’s love to others in my life. Today’s readings help us to realize we are an important part of being disciples of God working in the world today. It’s not about my unworthiness or inability … it’s about realizing that God is present and gracing us to be the person He needs us to be.

The story of Samuel is such an interesting and intriguing one. It includes the return of the Ark of the Covenant, through the desire of the people to have a king and Saul’s anointing followed by David’s selection by God to lead His people. Elkanah had two wives, one Penninah who had children and Hannah who was childless. She went to Shiloh and prayed a longing prayer to God to look on her with love [1 Samuel: 1:9-19]. Samuel was born to Hannah who promised he would be dedicated to the Lord after he was weaned, which leads into today’s passage. An interesting section is where the priest Eli apparently sleeps at a spot far removed from the sanctuary where the Ark is.  Samuel chooses to sleep within the sanctuary, close to the Ark. It would seem that the old priest Eli is unaccustomed to being attentive to God. But he does alert Samuel to make the right response to God’s call. Samuel continues in loyal service to the Lord. Dreams are not unusual throughout scriptures, but they aren’t the light-flashing and drum-rolling dreams. Rather, God is caring and leading the recipients to realize His closeness helping them to respond by directing others to lead lives for God. It is interesting in hearing the beginning of Samuel’s call … he didn’t seek to be a prophet. This is one of the attributes of authentic prophets: They are called and God is persistent with them. The prophets often are reluctant and express their inability and the fact that they’re definitely not deserving of this office. Do I turn God off by being unreceptive to His call? Do I feel I’m just not good enough … I’m not a priest, deacon or religious? I can’t do any of these ‘God jobs.’ God knows, I don’t.

Paul takes the next step in reminding the Corinthians of the implications of the sacrament of Baptism. This community has not grasped that their baptism makes them different people. They belong now to Christ: Are they acting accordingly? Am I acting accordingly? The case in point is their ongoing sexual immorality. Paul is telling them that they are each a temple of the Lord which means that their bodies are members of Christ’s body. The Spirit is within each … do we act accordingly? My Mom used to say to me when we went visiting, ‘Don’t embarrass me.’ That command was obeyed. But do I see that God is with me all the time? How do I act?

John describes the apostles moving from being fishermen to following Jesus. Some of them had been disciples of John the Baptist, hoping he was the Messiah. Here John points them to Jesus, the Messiah. They, like us, are invited to become followers of Jesus. They are asked in their first encounter, ”What are you looking for?” [John 1:38] This is one of Jesus’ favorite questions. He already knows what is going on in each one’s heart. He knows we are searching, trying to understand, hoping to find the ‘pearl of great price,' zeroing in on the meaning and happiness of life. We look in the wrong places. Jesus tells us it is with Him, in Him, for Him. In The Better Part, Fr. John Bartunek interprets today’s dialogue with Jesus: “Jesus: My first two disciples gave the right answer to this question. They asked where I was staying. What did they want? They only wanted to come and stay with Me. That is how you answered the questions too. How it pleases me to find humble, thirsting hearts — what a feast I have in store for them! What do you want? What are you seeking? If you want the right thing, everything else will fall into place. If you don’t, nothing you do will give rest to your soul.”

So I reflect on:

  • Don’t I want happiness for myself and those in my life?
  • Don’t I want satisfaction, meaning and fulfillment so that my life has a purpose?
  • Don’t I want You to be satisfied with what I do and welcome me to heaven with You?
  • Don’t I want You to say, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant …?'

Our goal is to remain with Jesus. That’s the purpose of His call; that’s the help He gives so our lives have meaning by bringing people in our life into union with Him. How am I doing? What do I need?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“What are the deepest longings of my restless Heart? What am I aiming for and trying to get out of life? I have so often only half-heard the invitation of Jesus to come closer, to make my home with Him. His person, His teaching, and His style disturb me to the core of my being.

“Jesus, You say to me, ‘You would not be looking for me unless you had already found me.’ Help me to find You ever more deeply in my times of prayer.”

Comments