Walking with Jesus: Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time B

Deuteronomy 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 7:32-35; Mark 1:21-28

Does God speak to me today? Certainly! I once asked my high school students this question and one came up after class with an unusual request: Let me think about this and could I write an essay about this next week instead of one on my favorite saint? I agreed, anxiously waiting to hear his thoughts. He started out: “The most obvious people I hear God’s voice is from my parents: they are good people, hard working, always kind but firm. Then I think of my grandparents … two of them are already with the Lord, the other two are just plain great: their love for me is so special, it shows me I am important to them, I can see Jesus’ attention, humor and love all over them. Then the priests and nuns at the parish, they are all nice and I can see prayer and God all over them too. Their actions and greetings are not rushed, they like what they are doing and know it is important. Then I can see God in my friends. They don’t know I’m including them in this. They play by the rules in sport games, help each other out and always say thanks at the end of our time together. That means a lot to me. I think everyone who says thanks is just listening to God’s voice … He knows how much need I have for loving friends and people in my life who help me.” So very true: As I recall this student received an A+. The apostles and people who listened had a birds-eye view of Jesus, His actions, words and miracles. Crowds were attracted to Him and stayed for a significant time to witness, “Who really is this person? Is He from God or is He someone to be feared?” We look to the readings today for guidance.

The last book of the Pentateuch is Deuteronomy which contains the last speech from Moses to the people on how to live in the land of “milk and honey” that God has promised them and which they are about to enter and conquer. It is a book of hope, looking back on the troubled times and a lesson that God’s punishment was not final. It emphasizes how God tested Israel in the early days of its existence and did not destroy the people no matter how often they failed. God taught them: “A Person does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.” [Deuteronomy 8:3] Today, Moses is reminding the people that even though he will not be crossing the Jordan River with them, God’s word will continue to guide them, just as it always has. God will continue to speak through a mortal messenger like Moses. The tribes knew that they were unworthy to hear God’s own voice, so He will raise up among the tribes this messenger who will speak the word of God: A human voice will address them but with God’s authority. This “prophet” will speak in God’s name and the people will be held accountable if they do not listen. It is no small thing to mislead God’s people. It seems that Moses is referring to all prophets. But since Christ is the Great Prophet where all prophets find their fulfillment and completion, this passage was understood in a special Messianic sense both by the Jews and the Apostles.

Paul continues to advise the Corinthians on how to conduct themselves since the Second coming of the Lord was coming soon. Practical questions arise: Since the world is “passing away,” should people get married? If you are married, stay married. If you are not married, do not marry unless it will prevent you from sinning. Paul’s intention is that the focus must be entirely on “the Lord without distraction.” How am I doing? Do I get too easily distracted away from the things of God and onto things that “are passing?”

In Mark, we have today a day in the life of Jesus. Most of it is taken up with healings of those possessed by or those in need. Throughout we hear about Jesus’ teaching style. Normally any faithful Jew could speak in the synagogue. But Jesus was a class all by Himself. The people who heard Him were “astonished.” He did not teach as the traditional experts in the law (scribes) taught. This was even more amazing because Jesus was not a scribe or a rabbi. And Jesus had amazing power to confront the unclean spirits and expel them from those possessed. These “spirits” could identify Jesus as “… the Holy One of God.” Jesus’ fame was spreading. He was more than a miracle worker. His disciples are very attracted by His power. This will lead to the High Priest, the Pharisees, Scribes and Sadducees being jealous and starting to form their alliances to plan for Jesus’ killing. A decision must be made about Jesus. Do I regard Jesus as most important?

So I reflect on:

  • As I listen to Jesus and study His healings and reflect on life, do I realize that everything comes from God? And Jesus is God?
  • How is God addressing me through the distracting elements I face each day?
  • The scribes were famous for winning arguments and destroying their opponents. Jesus’ aim was for all to see as God sees and to love as God loves. How am I doing in this?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“At some point in their lives, people may feel themselves being brought to their knees by urges and forces that are too strong for them. They need to turn to a power above and beyond themselves.

“Jesus, with that power behind Him, comes close to each of us — in His teaching, in the Christian community, in the Church.”

Comments