Walking with Jesus: The Baptism of the Lord

Isaiah 55:1-11; 1 John 5:1-9; Mark 1:7-11

People who accepted the Apostles’ teachings in the early Church were baptized into the Church. For the most part these people were believers in the Jewish faith who recognized that Jesus was the Messiah. As the number became larger and larger, the church became larger.  Jesus welcomed all. The apostles grappled with the “how” to allow Gentiles into the Church since they were unfamiliar with the Jewish traditions and teachings. They established a “preparation period of study,” the precursor of the RCIA program today. In 380 A.D., Theodosius established Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire. Its development established rules and customs along with myths that have confused many. I remember hearing people saying, “I just hope I can sneak in the back door of heaven before I’m recognized.” This conjures up a whole realm of fear and negativity that never came from Jesus. Some of these thoughts are: Does God really love me? Does He forgive all my sins, even the ones I can’t forgive myself? I keep on sinning the same sins over and over; I just can’t be forgiven. It is too hard for me to love everyone. I’m just not perfect enough; is it really possible for me to get to heaven?

God has a place in heaven for everyone. God loves everyone all the time. God forgives all our sins if we ask for forgiveness. How can I get to heaven? Have faith in Jesus, trust in His promises, live His love teachings, live the commandments and know that you’re loved. Today’s feast of the Baptism of Our Lord shows us how a relationship with the Holy Spirit transforms our lives into living and being the person God envisions and needs us to be.

Isaiah’s earlier writings invite the kings to replace their misguided agendas and trust in the God of Israel. The kings are in it for themselves, not obeying the commands of the Lord. The people suffer, eventually going into exile. Isaiah’s prophecies now are directed toward a loving servant of God who will lead the restoration of the Israeli people and bring them peace and restore the Temple. Today’s section is regarded as the first of four prophecies focusing on the character of this loyal servant who must suffer in order to accomplish God’s mission. This is the description of the expected Messiah: This servant leader will serve God’s plan by example, doing good works with humility and kindness, not using force -- a tactic that already has weakened and hurt the people. This servant’s efforts will convince others of God’s love. The people of the world have been covered in darkness and have not been aware of God’s love because their concept of love has been selfish, vengeful, and suspicious of those not belonging to their “religion.” The people have thought that God has abandoned them, leading to their exile. God’s plan is to be initiated through them to the world. God has chosen them. We have been chosen. Do we act as chosen people? Do we realize God touches us continually with love, and can we share this love unconditionally?

John asks us today, Do I believe that Jesus is the Messiah God sent to save me? Do I believe that Jesus said God loves me and sent Jesus to live and prove this love? Do I believe that when I love God and obey the commandments, I am living God’s life? I am God’s special creation as is each person: What am I doing about that?

Mark does not start with the nativity stories of Jesus; he begins with the adult Jesus. He starts by showing that Jesus comes to John the Baptist to be baptized, which reveals Jesus’ identity as God’s beloved Son. Now, John’s baptism is a Jewish baptism of repentance to prepare people for the world’s final days, promising them the Holy Spirit through Jesus. This is seen in a spectacular way: “You are My beloved Son; with You I am well pleased.” [Mark 1:11.]  An important question to help us realize that we are loved is to see how the Holy Spirit is present daily in us:

  • God’s love is constant, all the time, even when I’m not lovable … showing friendly smiles, help,  encouragement, realizing I’m not alone but loved. The Father’s words to Jesus are the same to us … reflecting each day on how God’s love has been present. I can’t realize it unless I reflect on it.
  • My life is “new.” … When I’m loved and cared for, I experience a newness of life, I feel a relationship with God, because:
  • I am surrounded with love and a new peace is within me. That’s the Holy Spirit.
  • A rightness … justice … peace. … When I experience a pouring out of courage and an intensity to work for justice … I create a “new world” for myself and others by removing so much darkness.
  • A direction … holiness. When I realize that I can use my Holy Spirit gifts of love, caring and forgiveness, I am responding to my own baptismal call to holiness. I am holy because of God.

So I reflect on:

  • Where am I seeing God’s love in ordinary life: Where is God’s beauty? Goodness? Joy?
  • The kingdom of God is here. Do I feel it? Do I sense it? What does it mean to me that the Lord has come to dwell with me?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“Jesus’ baptism gives us a window into a powerful religious moment. Jesus knows His identity. The imprint of the Spirit has sealed His life. Lord, remind me that I too bear Your selloff approval. I am marked by Your Spirit, called to participate in Your mission in Your blessed son or daughter.

“John knows his identity and his place in the unfolding plan of God. He is the instrument who points people beyond himself toward Jesus. Who are the ‘John the Baptist’ figures in my own life?”

Comments