Walking with Jesus: Third Sunday of Advent B

Isaiah 61:1-2, 10-11; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24; John 1:6-8, 19-28

The time of Advent formerly was mostly a time of penance and prayer. Today, especially on this Gaudete Sunday, it’s a time of remembering and rejoicing. We have much to be thankful for amid suffering and worry. Am I a thankful person? Do I thank God for my life and the people God has placed in my life: spouse, children, family, relatives, friends? At this time of year we share Christmas greetings and pleasantries: Is this superficial or is it sincere?

I heard a story of a little 4-year-old who asked her father, “Daddy, can you hardly?” He was in his favorite chair reading the sports section of the paper and initially gave no response. She asked again, “Daddy, can  you hardly?” When I was reading this I wondered what she was asking … and then she asked a third time: “Daddy, can you hardly?” Finally he asked, “Honey, for heaven's sake, what do you mean 'can I hardly?’ Hardly what?” She summoned all of her courage and asked, “Daddy, can you hardly wait until Christmas?” Can I? Does Christmas mean anything different this year? Am I ready for it? What does it mean to me to be ready? The readings today tell us there is a reason to Rejoice … Remember … and Reaffirm. The readings today remind us to get out of our chair, our stupor, our reluctance and tell us that God’s plan for salvation that has been in the works since the Creation and is now imminent ... it is about to happen. Do I realize that I am an important part of that plan and this is the reason I was created?

Earlier in his writings, Isaiah emphasizes dark areas of human pride that block out the light of God’s plan for humanity. Today’s reading starts with the wonderful statement, “The spirit of the Lord God is upon me.” [Isaiah 61:1.] So often the indication is that I have to do something for the Lord to be with me, but He is with me all the time … loving, caring and leading me to Himself. Isaiah emphasizes that the servant in the reading is thankful for the wonderful honor of being responsible for sharing God’s plan and love. Am I? Fr. Pat McCloskey OFM in Franciscan Media states it this way: “... the poor at last receive a message of hope … hearts broken by dismissive words of prideful leaders find healing in the servant’s uplifting themes ... people held captive by the world’s limited thinking find new freedom in words that shatter the wall around them and lift them up to heaven. God’s plan for humanity now holds sway over a weary world.” God’s plan makes a difference in our world. Am I sharing this or am I waiting for someone else to do it?

Paul encourages the Thessalonian community to stay close to God by prayer and being thankful. If they do not do this they are suppressing the Spirit who is leading them and us to be active in God’s love and care. If I’m not filling myself with the Lord and the Lord’s love, especially sharing this love in a caring way, I’m not actively a part of God’s plan for the world. And how can people see me if, as in the opening story, I’m just involved in reading my newspaper and not hearing the desperate voice of a loved one asking for clarification and help in interpreting God’s love? The good news for us is that the Lord is always faithful and keeps all His promises.

In John’s gospel today, we hear of John the Baptist. Note that John never calls him John the Baptist, only John. This John states he is definitely not the Messiah or the promised return of Elijah. He is simply preparing the way of the Lord. Can I say the same myself … that I am just telling people of the Lord’s activity in my life and how He has saved … cared for … been merciful and faithful in His love for me? More than any other Gospel, John stresses the subordination of the Baptist to Jesus. This was probably intended for the Baptist’s followers who were making strong messianic claims for the Baptist when the Gospel was being composed. John was offering his testimony and then staying out of the way. Is that what I do ... love, forgive, care and not claim to be the “be all and end all” of God’s love? My role, like John ... like all the saints and good people ... is just to show love so that the people who come in my life know that my love is just a small mirror of God’s love. Being loved by our God of love is all I need … if I allow God’s love to come in and I do not block it.

So I reflect on:

  • What does it mean to be a light in my world?

  • Do I have the courage to speak out when others use the name of Jesus for their own means and ends? Am I secure enough in my own faith to challenge them?

  • Do I consider myself caught up in this season of love?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“John knew that his role was to bring people to Christ. So is ours. We try to live our lives right so that people will be able to know through us that faith in Christ makes all the difference.

“John knew that his baptism was preparatory; it was only with water. Jesus baptized each of us with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit dwells in us, He leads and guides us; we try to be open to His powerful work in our hearts.”

Comments