Walking with Jesus: The Holy Family of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph

Genesis 15:1-6, 21:1-3; Hebrews 11:8, 11-12,17-19; Luke 2:22-40

We are family. Blood relatives have a genetic link to each of us, meaning we are related on a DNA level. Simply put, a blood relative is a person related to another by birth rather than by marriage. There is another concept of family that comes from God: Paul states how Jesus teaches that all people are God’s sons and daughters. “For we are the temple of the living God; as God said: I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be My people … and I will be Father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.” [2 Corinthians 6:16, 18]

So we are brothers and sisters to all God’s people. God’s view of family is much different from ours. It is difficult for us reflecting on the people we see walking or driving down the street, thinking of them as family. They don’t look like me, act like me, talk like me. So many do not have the same dreams or even the same capabilities to fulfill those dreams. They come from different backgrounds and ethnicities, and their dreams and abilities differ. The world around us so easily puts people into categories. But God calls us His children. This means that we are all brothers and sisters to each other. Do we allow others to be a part of our family? Do we put up “artificial qualifications” to be accepted into “my family?” In God’s family all are loved ... Jesus says this was the reason He came to redeem us: to show us God’s love for everyone. Moses' description of the fall of man describes how the peace and love of God was shattered and would be restored through the Christ, the Messiah to come. We have just celebrated His coming … what is His message for us today?

Childlessness is present in many biblical stories. The Jewish people felt that this was a punishment from God for the sins of the individual’s family. We see this in many biblical stories:  Abraham’s wife Sarah; Jacob’s beloved wife Rachel; Samuel’s mother Hannah; an anonymous Gentile woman who shows hospitality to the prophet Elisha; the unnamed wife of Manoah who’s the future mother of Samson; Zechariah’s wife, Elizabeth. All are presented as widows whose childless state is painful, ridiculed and troublesome. In today’s first reading Abram has been promised in a vision to be father of a great nation … “but Lord, my wife is childless … the Lord told him to look at the sky and count the stars … that’s how large your family will be.” And Abram believed. How strong is my belief? “Jesus said to the apostles, 'have faith in God. Amen, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it shall be done for him. Therefore I tell you, all that you ask for in prayer, believe that you will receive it and it shall be yours.” [Mark 12: 11:22-24] In looking at my spiritual path, I realize that faith is a constantly growing gift, if I let God be God to me. This means accepting His grace, His loving concern and His forming me into His loving way.

Paul explains how God’s love has made us a chosen people. He tells us Abraham obeyed when he was told to pack up and leave to a place to receive God’s inheritance. His faith overcame his lack of knowledge. His faith trusted God would remedy Sarah’s sterility. His faith was tested in the ordered sacrifice of his son, Isaac. Mary’s “yes” showed her trust in God. How has God touched us on our faith journey? Has my gratitude been my testimony to His gifts?

Luke tells us that Jesus is the child of promise. Isaiah foretold this … wise teachers watched the heavens for signs of it … shepherds witnessed to it and Mary and Joseph believed. Belief is not an easy thing. Simeon’s prophecy to Mary wasn’t comforting: “… and you yourself a sword will pierce …” [Luke 2:35] Did they understand this? How well do we understand this? The central theme of the readings and especially the gospel is about fulfillment. Joseph and Mary were fulfilling the dictates of the law by circumcising Jesus. Simeon and Anna represent pious Jewish models who trusted in these promises. All this unfolded according to God’s plan. It is good to take time and revisit salvation history. God created out of love. Humans were commanded to love. God formed a nation and gave them Ten Ways to cement love into their everyday lives. They failed and were forgiven and continued to be led, especially by the prophets. Then the time arrived for God to show what His love is all about: becoming one of us … living … preaching ... curing … leading all to God’s way … redeeming us by dying for us ... and rising as a promise of our own rising to be with God forever. God’s plan of love … He has called me and you. How are we responding?

So I reflect on:

  • Jesus’ parents presented Him at the Temple. Our parents brought us for baptism or we chose to come by others’ witnesses. Has living this faith gift changed the way I live in the world?
  • How am I Jesus’ presence in my world?
  • What steps can I take to prepare myself for my road ahead?

Sacred Space 2021 states:

“The Holy Spirit is very important for St. Luke, and that Spirit is never far away. This text links Him closely to Simeon, helping the old man to recognize and praise God and to bless the parents of Jesus. What about me? The Holy Spirit dwells in me too: I am His temple! But is He perhaps only a quiet lodger whom I hardly notice? Have I locked Him up? Can He become my mentor whom I look to for advice and support? Can the Spirit and I create life together?

“The early Christians announce important decisions by saying, ‘it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us …’ [Acts 15:28] Lord, make me sensitive to the Spirit’s promptings as I make my decision. Then things will go well for me.”

Comments