Christmas 2020

To my dear friends and family —

Merry Christmas and my sincere Thankfulness for being so special and close down through the years. I am remembering you in my masses and prayers. This is the year we will never forget: It has changed us all and the Lord continues to be present. I had planned to be writing you about the 61 going on pilgrimage to the capitols of Eastern Europe and Oberammergau’s Passion Play; the COVID-19 pandemic cancelled this. It is rescheduled for 2022. I opted out of this with many others. COVID has changed our lives. I still am the Senior Catholic Priest at Langley AFB, and on the Friday before Palm Sunday, the Air Force cancelled all our masses and religious activities. No Holy Week … no Easter … a shock. What is the Holy Spirit telling us?

In February I made my winter retreat at the Passionate Retreat House in Berryville, Virginia. In March I had a short, wonderful trip to Florida for golf with my niece and her husband. I never imagined that this would be the end of my traveling and getting away for time with the Lord. I was now considered an at-risk, vulnerable senior. So I led the life of a hermit recluse: staying home, saying daily mass in my dining room, going to get groceries if the parking lot wasn’t full. In May we returned to having masses at Langley to a vastly reduced crowd with masks and social distancing. These are so necessary … and will be for a long time. We like to be in control and COVID has proven that we are not. But God is in control. Are we listening to the Lord, or are we complaining? I’ve been reflecting on this in light of the pandemic, the elections, huge unemployment and economic hardships.

I have also been studying Julian of Norwich. This 14th-century mystic was one of the first women to write. She lived during the Black Plague of 1347-1351, where upwards of 200,000 people died in Europe and millions in Eurasia and North Africa. She knew hard times as she lived in an apartment attached to the Church of Julian in Norwich, England. In eight days she had 16 mystical revelations (showings) as she laid on what she believed was her deathbed. During her recovery she reflected on these and wrote a more detailed account of her experiences. Her book is called Revelations of Divine Love. In one revelation she sees that the crucifix has become alive: she sees blood coming from under the crown of thorns, “hot and fresh, plentiful and lifelike …” She feels Jesus’ Passion as though it is happening in front of her. This is extraordinary, but Julian quickly adds a second dimension: her heart is suddenly filled with joy in God. “The Trinity suddenly filled my heart full of the utmost joy, and I understood that it will be like that in heaven forever for all those who will come there.” Yet what strikes her even more is: “I felt that He who is so much to be revered and so awesome was willing to be so friendly to a sinful being …” The Middle English word she uses is “homeley,” which recalls two friends sharing their inner selves and experience with each other simply, privately and honestly. God loves her so much that He shows Himself to her. God loves us all the time and during our lives has given us moments in which we feel His presence.

When we reflect on these moments of God’s presence, we feel very strongly His kindness and our specialness. He cares for me and I am important. Was this really God? YES. I’m always important to God. He created me and put me here at this time and place to let others know He exists and just plain loves us.  Am I showing this in my world that is so in need of comfort and love? Isn’t this what Christmas is about? God broke into the world to show His love. I am to do the same. Does my world hear my bitterness, or my love of God who loves me and them? At this special time, I thank you for your Love … God’s love through You. Thank you again for your LOVE that has shown me God.

Comments