Walking with Jesus: 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time A

Isaiah 25:6-10; Philippians 4:12-14, 19-20; Matthew 22: 1-14

The readings are asking us today, How do I view God? Do I view God as judgmental? Do I feel God is after me for the evil and sins I have done? Do I really believe that God has a special place prepared for me in heaven? Do I believe that God is best at His mercy and invites me to heaven despite my shortcomings? Do I believe that it’s not about my being unworthy or ready for heaven but about God’s unconditional love and mercy? How do I view God, and does my view agree with Jesus’ teaching about Him? We take time to sit and reflect on the readings and our feelings toward God and His love.

“On this mountain the Lord of hosts will provide for all peoples …” [Isaiah 25:6] In Isaiah's divinely inspired messages, some mountains represent human pride. We become so caught up in our ways and thoughts that they obscure God’s view and plan. We feel as if we know more than God. But then our own agendas lead us to selfishness, hardships and really being deprived of the meaning of love. God’s plan is the opposite: Isaiah writes of the fine food and select wines at God’s banquet table. In other words, there is no limit to God’s continued giving to sustain our lives. Our pride gets in the way of seeing God’s goodness, kindness, protection and awareness of our needs. In one of the most moving lines found in Isaiah, we hear today: “The Lord God will wipe away the tears from every face, the reproach of His people He will remove from the whole earth; for the Lord has spoken.” [Isaiah 25:8] Isaiah is telling his people that they no longer have to fear the consequences of violence and war; God is always with them. They have been mourning the losses that came as a result of the misguided policies of kings Ahaz and Hezekiah. These kings refused God’s help and His insistence on reform and faithfulness. Isaiah says that God will one day remove the policies of such kings who value their own advancement over the needs of others. The gift of salvation will replace the tears of the past. Am I concerned with living God’s life and loving as Jesus taught me?

Paul has experienced all sorts of situations in his life: deprivation and abundance. His attitude needs to be one of gratitude. Our stories echo Paul’s: We have periods of difficulty … being widowed, family fragmentations, jobs lost, economic or educational prospects that change entire families overnight, and the sting of the deaths of loved ones. These stories are important because they teach us what abundance means and the need for gratitude, along with the reminder of our need to share with those in need. As I sit and review Pauls’ words, “I can do all things in Him who strengthens me.” [Philippians 4:13] Paul summarizes: “My God will fully supply whatever you need, in accord with His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father, glory forever and ever. Amen.” [Philippians 4:19-20] When I take these words and sit and be still, I realize that my life has always been filled with God’s presence, leading me and loving me. Has my pride or anger rebelled within me to not to listen and see God’s care? This is a wonderful reflection that is needed very frequently when times are good or not.

Jesus teaches consistently in Matthew’s gospel that while absolutely everyone is invited to heaven, the price of admission is steep. “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.” [Matthew 7:13-14] The guests in today’s parable are those who have failed to understand this fundamental teaching. They all have been invited by the generous king, even the one without the appropriate garb, who has demonstrated an overly casual attitude -- assuming it was a “come as you are event.” This isn’t a wedding feast; this is heaven to be with God forever. This is the God who has given us life. A God who has placed us at this time in history, with loved ones surrounding us, in circumstances that with God’s gifts and grace will bring us to God’s kingdom. If we respond with love, we will live with Love in love.

So I reflect on:

  • How has the lavishness of God fed us even when we have not expected it?
  • What is our responsibility in response to that generosity?
  • Do I understand the different perspectives and attitudes of those whom God has also invited to the feast? Let the Lord fill me with the knowledge of His encompassing love for all those with whom I have problems.

Sacred Space 2020 states:

“God invites us to draw close, not because of our worthiness or in thanks for our efforts but in a generous sharing of life. This time of prayer is part of my response: I live it wholeheartedly to God.

“The ‘wedding robe’ I wear is my awareness of my place before God. I pray that I may remain humble, be conscious of how I am blessed, and grow in trust as I respond to God’s Spirit in my life.”

Comments