Walking with Jesus: 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Sirach 27:30-28:7; Romans 14:7-9; Matthew 18:21-35

I take time to reflect on how generous God has been to me. I see how, even in times of need and sometimes of desperation, God continues to shower His gifts of care and comfort. I admit that I’m not too often “quick on the draw” in responding in gratitude and in sharing God’s generosity. On the contrary, I keep my hurts too long in my memory bank. Unfortunately I too often react with not-nice remarks or getting-even types of responses. Why do I find myself to be two-faced in my responses? Why do I react instead of responding in love? Why do I not ask for the courage to open my heart to love? Why do I not ask God for help, especially when I’ve been hurt, and respond in a positive way to forgive? Lord, You’ve forgiven me so many times; soften my hard-heartedness. Do I bring the problem people in my life to You, Lord, so that You can fill them with the love they need and the love I fail to share? Today’s readings help us in the task of loving and forgiving. In the first reading, Sirach prepares us for Jesus’ teaching about being forgiven and forgiving others as God forgives.

In today’s short, eight-verse passage, Sirach mentions “sin” five times and “sinner” once. He is focusing on the sinner as the one who refuses to forgive. The sinner is not so much the one who offends another, but the one who avenges an offense. Why can’t I just let go? In our reflection it is ludicrous to believe that I can be forgiven or helped if I’m not willing to forgive another. In analyzing this “lack of forgiveness,” doesn’t it border on hate, which is totally contrary to the covenant between God and Israel? In the preface to this book, a grandson recalls that Sirach wanted to help those believing in the law of Moses to make even greater progress in loving as God loves. Sirach shows continually that wicked people cling to their anger and thoughts of revenge. Just look what that person did to me! Why do I embrace these grudges and almost fear letting them go? It would seem I want to hang on to be this avenger of hate. Why? Sirach shares how amazing it is that these “avengers” feel that their wicked deeds go unnoticed. The bottom line for reflection is God’s mercy and compassion, repeatedly and consistently showered on me. In view of all this, it seems like a minor thing to overlook the faults of others … yet I do. Why?

Paul wants me to examine the total context of Jesus’ life and teachings. For one who follows Jesus, life equals what we can do through Jesus, with Jesus and in Jesus. So is my life Christ-like? If people can’t see Jesus in me, where will they witness it? If my life is a witness to Jesus, then love, care, concern, mercy, forgiveness and all-around kindness should be a huge component of my thoughts, words and actions. When people see cynicism, indifference, animosity or no purpose at all, how can they see a positive way of living? If I belong to Christ as Paul says, doesn’t that mean that I must die to myself and live for others as Jesus showed me?

Today’s passage in Matthew immediately follows Jesus’ instruction to the Twelve about being good shepherds. Hopefully they are being taught and reformed. Imagine their discussions: How many times would I go after the same sheep that keeps wandering away … and forgiving others? I’m sure someone would say that Rabbinic teaching taught that the limit of forgiveness was three … the fourth offense was not forgivable. Was Peter in his generosity proposing a reform of this custom? So, how often do I forgive? Jesus, You decide: Forgiveness must be unlimited … which certainly is not the popular answer.

Jesus tells of the king’s forgiveness. There was never a question of paying back such an amount. So the servant pleads for mercy and the king totally forgives. This servant then encounters a fellow servant who begs for mercy and forgiveness, and denies it. The lesson: Mercy and forgiveness cannot be earned; they come from the heart and know no limitation. This last line of today’s Gospel holds the most precious lesson: Jesus is teaching Peter, and me, and you: God does not ask the impossible. But we need to remember ALL THE TIMES God has shown us His mercy and forgiveness … THEN WE ARE TO DO THE SAME. The first step is always prayer … pray for the help to want to forgive that person who hurt me, whom I swore I never would forgive. This is a big first step. GOD DOES DO IMPOSSIBLE THINGS!

So I reflect on:

  • What blocks me from realizing each person is my brother and sister and loved individually by God?
  • Why didn’t the servant forgive the man who owed him a small amount, even after he had been forgiven such a large debt?
  • I look at the times in my life that it has been especially hard to forgive or to show patience and understanding to another. Why did this “anger and hate pain” remain? Why wouldn’t I turn this over to God?

Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Peter, like most of us, believed that forgiveness must have a limit — it only made sense. But the forgiveness Jesus embodies goes beyond sense or even a logical balance sheet. Such forgiveness is countercultural in a world that always must find a place for blame. How countercultural is forgiveness for me personally? God’s love is limitless, endless, ongoing. This is how the Lord loves you. ‘I forgave you all that debt.’” [Matthew 18:32]

“Thank You, Lord, for forgiving me seventy-seven times and more. Give me the grace to forgive someone today.”

Comments