Walking with Jesus: 18th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Isaiah 55:1-3; Romans 8:35, 37-39; Matthew 14:13-21

Am I stingy in giving? When I am tired, am I aware of the needs of those around me? When I seem to give and give, do I take time to recoup or do I “hide,” “pout,” “give up” or take on the “poor me” mode? At Christmas gift time, am I seeing how loved ones react to my gifts or am I eager to see what I have received?  The people in the gospel were hungry, they had been following Jesus for quite a time. I wonder how many were diabetic or had to eat regularly? I wonder how many were worried about those needing food, like the children and elderly? I wonder if those who brought a snack were willing to share, or did they want to keep it for themselves? Jesus was tired and had just heard of John the Baptist’s beheading. He was mourning. It seems as though He expected the apostles to feed the people themselves. Were they afraid? Did they think that only Jesus could do this? “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” [Matthew 17: 20] Do I feel with God I can do the impossible? Do I feel that God just leaves me alone?

Today’s passage from Isaiah summarizes what the prophet has been saying for the last 15 chapters: The Israelis’ possessions had been stripped away in their exile. They had led comfortable lives; now they were destitute. Who was left for them to rely on? Only God. Will they pick themselves up and realize not only God’s presence, but His help to remake them into His people? Relying on their material resources had been a total waste; the kingdom had collapsed. They refused to believe in God. They put their trust in other gods and sacrificed to them but received nothing in return. Now Isaiah is asking them to trust God. Am I trusting God? I am here because God wants me here at this time and place in history. There is a purpose for my and each person’s existence. All are important and a part of God’s plan for redeeming the world.

Paul makes a very brave statement in the form of a question: “What will separate us from the love of Christ?” [Romans 8:35] What could possibly diminish our relationship with God? Nothing! When bad things happen to us, especially when they’re not of our making, we feel that God doesn’t like us or has abandoned us. Paul tells us that there is no need for us to feel like that. In one of the most powerful and tender passages in the Bible, he assures us that nothing in the whole of creation can separate us from God’s love. God’s love never ends for anyone. Our trials and tribulations can actually bring us closer to God. We experience His presence, love and care for us. So am I aware that I am an important part of God’s plan to change my world to a place of love, kindness and forgiveness? I do this by showing my relationship with our God, who just loves.

The people in the Gospel were searching for help and the truth. Is Jesus a flash in the pan, or has He come from God? Jesus had just come from Nazareth, His hometown. The people there thought they knew Him because they knew His parents, yet they wouldn’t listen to Him. As a result, Jesus “… did not work many mighty deeds there because of their lack of faith.” [Matthew 14:58] Matthew switches the scene to Herod’s killing of John the Baptist. John was Jesus’ cousin and the two of them had shared an intimate spiritual relationship. No doubt Jesus wanted to be alone in His grief, but the crowds searched and found Hm in a deserted place. “When He disembarked from the boat and saw the vast crowd, His heart was moved with pity for them and He cured their sick.” [Matthew 14:14] The disciples tell Jesus that the people need to eat. The gospel no sooner mentions hunger before someone has to respond. Sometimes it’s God, like in the manna from heaven and water from the rock in Moses’ time. Sometimes it's the prophets Elijah and Elisha supplying bottomless jars of oil or unending barley loaves. Jesus surprises the disciples and us today by saying, “There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.” [Matthew 14:16] Why would Jesus say this? Were the disciples looking for the easy way out? Am I active or passive in sharing with the poor, homeless and needy?  Jesus saw their need and fed them with five loaves and two fish. He said the traditional blessing; the same words we use at the sacrifice of the Mass: said the blessing … broke the loaves … and gave them to the disciples who in turn gave them to the crowd. This is a summary of Christian theology: Jesus calls us, gifts us with His love, blesses us and sends us into the world to make more lovers to love.

In putting together these readings, I’ve realize that in my life’s trials and difficulties, I am never alone. God is always with me. It is so unfortunate that so many Christians have practically no knowledge of God’s immense love and the power of that love to make them happy. The Holy Spirit gifts all Christians at Baptism, gifts that God gives because He wants them developed. So many do not really desire to know God, whereas God wants a nourishing relationship with each person. Thomas Merton writes: “Spiritual things are not received unless they are desired.”

So I reflect on:
  • I look at the times when I was struggling with my life and experienced God’s strength, hope, joy and mercy. Why did it take me so long to realize God was always present?
  • We live in a future inundated with self-absorbed anxiety. Am I hungry or thirsty for God?
  • What does my response to trouble reveal about where and from whom I expect to find answers?
Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Jesus does not produce food out of nowhere. He takes the little that the apostles have and multiplies it a thousandfold. I am reminded that Jesus can provide spiritual nourishment beyond my imagining. There is a mysterious disproportion between what I give and what the Lord makes of it.

“When Jesus had heard the news about John the Baptist’s execution He needed time alone, despite the expectations of the crowds. If I have ever heard myself say that I am too busy to pray, I think of what moves Jesus and ask that God’s Spirit guide and direct me, too.”

Comments