Walking with Jesus: 17th Sunday in Ordinary Time

1 Kings 3:5, 7-12; Romans 8:28-30; Matthew 13:44-46

“Ask something of me and I will give it to you.” [1 Kings 3:5]

In reflecting God’s words to Solomon, my mind traveled to childhood Christmas lists for Santa. I’m assuming my lists were lengthy … and I’m sure my wants were not all filled. I was disappointed, yet Christmas continued to be a time of gifts, happiness and celebration. What have I asked God in these subsequent years? A lot, would be my truthful answer. I asked for help for myself and others … I’ve asked for selfish things and quality help and healings for others. I’ve made bargains with God: I will do this … say these … give up that … Lord, if You help me. God definitely has blessed me though the years. I have fluctuated in my love. But the bottom line is that God just loves me and everyone; bargains are never needed. Right now, at this point in my life with the coronavirus pandemic having center stage, what am I asking from God for me? For those I love? For the country? For the world? For the helpless? We take time to look to the readings for help.

Solomon has replaced his father, David, as king. He has married the daughter of Pharaoh the King of Egypt. He has just offered sacrifices at one of the kingdom’s sacred places honoring God. “Solomon loved the Lord, and obeyed the statues of his father David; yet he offered sacrifice and burned incense on the high places.” [I Kings 3:3] He is grateful in his devotion to the Lord, and in a dream God speaks asking what he wants of Him. Solomon relies on the Lord; neighboring kings and leaders rely on power and riches to tighten their authority. Solomon requests that God grant him the wisdom to rule over God’s people with truth and justice. He doesn’t have any interest in ruling for years on end or in building up a huge treasury. He is prepared to serve God and God’s people. “Give Your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge Your people and to distinguish right from wrong.” [1Kings 3:9] This was his dream … it became a reality on waking.

We live in a consumerism conundrum bombarded by ads enticing us to buy and buy. The coronavirus has made us stop and ask, Do I truly need this? Or, Do I simply want this? What is really important in my life now? Solomon was able to discern wisely and was rewarded by God. Paul is telling us that God has a plan for all who love Him. “Brothers and sisters: We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.” [Romans 8:28] God continues to fill us with His grace and gifts to help us be His faithful disciples. God’s plan is for all to know Him and know they are loved. Our assignment is to share what we have been given: love and gifts beyond measure.

In the Gospel, Jesus points out the characteristics of heaven: incomparable value and entering into God’s glory. We can see this in the first two parables, likening the kingdom of heaven to a valuable, buried treasure and a pearl of great price. Both finders are totally committed to sell everything. Their motivation is not greed but joy because what has really been found is the kingdom of heaven. There is nothing of more value. In a further description, the huge net accumulates the good fish which is collected whereas the bad fish are thrown away. If we are found living a vital and personal life of love and realize that the goal of heaven is reachable when we live love, we are rewarded with love. If not, we will suffer eternal frustration. Jesus does not offer any other alternative. What am I working at and for?

In The Better Part, Fr. John Bartunek shares this summation prayer to God:

I am amazed at how easily I forget how great You are. … Why is my faith so weak? I believe in You. You are my Lord. I long for Your joy and peace. I believe, Lord, increase my little faith. … My treasure is Your friendship. It gives life and meaning to everything else — my relationships, my responsibilities, my dreams and my battles. You have so much You want to give me, and so much You want to give others through me. All You need is for me to say yes to You each day, to follow Your example of fidelity, to do Your will and love my neighbor as myself. It’s so simple, yet so hard. Be my strength Lord … You have made me for heaven. If I could only set my eyes on that goal and realize that this life is just a journey, so much peace would flow into my soul. Imbue me with the hope of the Resurrection, with an eagerness for the day when I will finally see You face-to-face. With the power of Your love, set my heart on You. …

So I reflect on:
  • Where is the clutter in my life? I look at my thoughts, emotions, activities, possessions, relationships; what can I clean up today?
  • Do you think the merchant’s friends were able to notice that he had found the “pearl of great price?” Should those around me be able to notice that I have found Christ? How?
Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Have I found the pearl of great value, for which I am ready to sell all I have in order to buy it? Am I still looking for it, or am I resigned to a life of mediocrity in my relationships with others, with God in my prayer, in my work life? If I I have found this pearl, am I ready to sell all that I have to obtain it? Jesus compares this pearl to the kingdom He came to proclaim and inaugurate and this gives me joy and hope.

“The scribe who has been trained for the kingdom knows how to bring out of his treasure what is new and what is old. In our world, even in our churches, we are becoming more and more polarized between the liberals and the conservatives, as both claim to be the only ones to have all the truth. I ask for wisdom and freedom to seek the kingdom before all else.”

Comments