Today's Message: 3rd Sunday of Easter A

Acts 2:14, 22-33; 1 Peter 1:17-21; Luke 24:13-35

How important am I? How important do I feel right now?
How important are you? How important do you feel right now?

We have responded to this in many ways over the years. It really is a personal question and one we do not like to dwell on or think about. I’m sure we’ve asked ourselves this at one time or another. and our response varies according to how we feel or what is happening in our lives. I’m sure there are a few who are sure that they are the most valuable person in the world. Most of us are not of that mind-set; in fact, many have a negative view of themselves especially when things are difficult or not going well in their lives. This has to be the situation for those waiting in line to get tested for COVID-19 and those unsure if they have caught this virus. Are my days on Earth numbered? How can this disease strike so fast, and could my time be coming to an end? Will I be with God? I certainly have been a sinner ... maybe I have too many sins and I don’t have a chance. I just wish I could have loved certain people more ... etc. Could I have another chance? The bottom line is that you and I have been infected with the daily disease of sin and are threatened with spiritual death. We’ve been led astray by the seductive temptations of evil and have wandered away from God. But God has brought us back. Are we listening?

St. Peter provides an answer to that question when he instructs his audience to “conduct yourselves with reverence during the time of your sojourning, realizing that you were ransomed from your futile conduct, handed on by your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold but with the precious blood of Christ as of a spotless unblemished lamb.” The reference to “futile conduct” isn’t a personal criticism but a statement of how long humanity has been estranged from God. The point is, to win each of us back to fellowship with Himself, God was willing to send His only Son into a world of sinners. Jesus willingly did this suffering by His death on the cross. Each person has been saved. So, I ask, what am I doing with this? Has it changed how I live my daily life?

Salvation is not a one-time occurrence, it is a constant renewal of what it means to be a witness to God. Peter is telling the assembled Israelites, gathered in Jerusalem for the feast of Pentecost, about God’s plan of salvation. Many of these people listened to Jesus; some accepted Him and others declined — going so far as putting Him to death through crucifixion. Now Peter is not condemning his audience for this; this has been God’s plan all along. God’s plan prevails over their plan. Death does not have a lasting hold on Jesus because His Resurrection was a part of the Divine Plan. Christ came so that those who believe in Him might be drawn closer to God. He loves each person that much. It is this God, and not the world or its many gods, in whom Christians are called to hope and have faith. How am I living this faith? Am I recognizing Christ in others? Dorothy Day has two powerful quotes to help us with this: First, “Everything a baptized person does every day should be directly and indirectly related to the corporal and spiritual acts of mercy.” So very true. We are more apt to see Christ in others if we try to be Christ to others. Faith demands action: How do I prove that I am living as Jesus? Then Dorothy Day continues: “I really only love God as much as I love the person I love the least.”

Ouch!

The two disciples on the way to Emmaus have a problem recognizing Jesus. Here a very nice stranger approaches and talks with them. They are still recovering from the realization that Jesus has died and risen from the dead. What are they to do with this? All sorts of life decisions bombard them. They just don’t understand. Then Jesus begins a long dissertation revealing how all the prophecies described Jesus as the Messiah and pointed to His death and Resurrection for the salvation of the world. This is the ultimate proof of God’s love for all of His children. God loves us so much that He calls us His friends if we believe in Him and follow His teachings. Tell us more … tell us more … we’re beginning to get it. And they recognize Him in the breaking of the bread, the Eucharist. “Were not our hearts burning within us while He spoke to us on the way and opened the Scriptures to us?” (Luke 24: 32)

It all comes down to God’s total unconditional love and a question: Am I sharing my love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness as a witness of Jesus’ love? It's not easy to recognize Christ when He comes into our everyday lives, disguised as our family members, our co-workers, other drivers on the road ... or in COVID-19 as a part of God’s plan of changing our attitude and our loving.

So I reflect on:
  • The Psalmist today says, “You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in Your presence, the delights at Your right hand forever.” How have I been shown? When have my eyes been opened and my heart set on fire?
  • Fritz Eichenberg’s illustration, Christ of the Breadline, was one of the works that appeared in Catholic Worker. As each man was served, Jesus was served. Would I recognize Him? Would I recognize Him in the lines wearing a mask at the hospitals today?
Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Join the two disciples on their journey from Jerusalem to Emmaus. Sense their disappointment, despondency, disorientation. Listen as Jesus explains the meaning of the Scriptures to them. Be aware of their hearts burning within them. What a change of mood — from desolation to consolation! Is Jesus warming your hearts? Are you seeing anything in a new light?

“Jesus, in times of disillusionment and faded dreams You stand at the door, waiting for me to invite You in. May the experience of Your risen presence bring about a transformation in my daily engagement with others.”

Comments