Easter Week Message: Walking with Jesus through His Passion (Holy Thursday - Good Friday)

And Judas returns ...

Matthew says: “… Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived, accompanied by a large crowd with swords and clubs, who had come from the chief priests and the elders of the people.” (Matthew 26:47)

Mark says: “… Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived, accompanied by a crowd with swords and clubs, who had come from the chief priests, the scribes and the elders.” (Mark 14:43)

Luke says: “… a crowd approached and in the front was one of the Twelve, a man named Judas.” (Luke 22:47)

John says: “So Judas got a band of soldiers and guards from the chief priests and the Pharisees and went there with lanterns, torches, and weapons.” (John 18:2-3)

It’s interesting that of all of the accounts, only John gives an indication that ‘soldiers’ are involved. Crowds get quickly out of hand … soldiers seem to maintain some discipline as well as fear.

This encounter with the authorities was not unusual. Jesus was persecuted everywhere, especially by the Pharisees, sent from Jerusalem. They “kept an eye” on everything Jesus did to “catch Him” doing something illegal; that is, against the Law of Moses. Often they were accompanied by scribes, sadducees and occasionally Herodians, united in an unusual mission: to plot Jesus’ death. They had set numerous traps; insulted Jesus secretly and publicly; called Him possessed by the devil, a seducer, an imposter; they denounced Him to the Priests. Everywhere He went, His life was in danger either from Herod or from the Pharisees. This obviously made Him move from place to place frequently. As a result, Jesus worked miracles all over and was accused and condemned for doing evil and being a violator of Mosaic Law. He preached courageously in the Temple in Jerusalem to people who always had stones in their hands to throw at Him. In the synagogues in Galilee, the Pharisees devised a thousand plots to trap Him: traps he initially avoided successfully but now were coming in full force. Here we are imagining the scene in the Garden when the Apostles ran away: They abandoned Jesus.

Would I run away? Would I abandon You too? You know I already have. So many times I have failed to trust You. I have ignored Your tender voice speaking in the deep recesses of my “secret place” inside me. I am definitely weak and so inconsistent. That’s the story of my life! And You keep renewing me, keeping me alive with Your graces and Your sacraments that renew me continually.

They bring Jesus to Caiaphas’ house. The whippings and severe beatings from the hardened soldiers will come shortly, after the chief priests receive the “official permission” to kill Jesus. What is Jesus thinking about as He is chained in this jail? Looking forward; He knows what's ahead of Him, we can see this in His “sweating of blood” in the garden. He also has just come from their Passover celebration which we now call the First Eucharist. He has envisioned the Eucharists I would celebrate and each Christian believer would attend. How attentive or distracted have I been? That is not important. What is important is that I responded to Jesus’ call to come. The devil never wants anyone to go to the Eucharist. He puts all sorts of distractions in people’s minds and imaginations, even and most especially at the Consecration and at Communion. We give in … many times, the Holy Spirit’s graces break through and we believe and encounter our Divine Lord. Jesus is aware of each and every moment these temptations would happen, yet in that horrible dungeon he repeats over and over, telling me and every believer: “I love you, right now, just the way you are!”

I have been honored to walk the Via Dolorosa many times. In reading the stations at each stop, I get a feel of what it was like for Jesus. Then as now, Jerusalem was huge: visitors and pilgrims present from all over. Believers, pagans, people just out to make some money coupled with thieves and unsavory types. They spat on the cross and Jesus; I got that a few times myself. Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ gave an intense portrayal of Christ’s suffering and demeaning. He envisioned me at so many falls ... my falls ... yet He continued on. He had to be my God and Savior because of His love for me; there is no other answer. Am I grateful? Have I said thanks? Have I asked for help?

I envision Jesus on the cross. God’s plan is right in front of me. Nothing can obstruct God’s loving plan of salvation. Sin has its consequences and even the Son of God, who had never sinned Himself, suffered them in His earthly pilgrimage … for me. God is overjoyed for Jesus showing us God’s total unconditional love. I can love more intensely, more purely, like the mother who watches day and night over her sick child — it isn’t comfortable love, but it’s authentic love, and it brings light and joy to her soul. So, so many are experiencing this throughout the world with the coronavirus pandemic. Love is given … love is shared … love hurts … love  hopes … love creates absence … love never ends … love is eternal. God has taught us well.

So I reflect on:
  • These days are about betrayal and the sufferings and sacrifices of Christ. References are made to His resurrection. Why? Is there some lesson there as to how I ought to bear my crosses?
  • Why do you think Jesus chose to leave us His Body and Blood under the appearances of bread and wine?
  • Jesus asked the Father to change His plans, but when the Father didn’t, Jesus accepted it fully. What can this teach us about true Christian prayer?
  • In what practical ways can I develop my dependence on God’s grace and stop the kind of arrogance that led to Peter’s denial?
  • What do I think hurt Jesus more, the condemnation or the scourging? Why?
  • How is the covenant statement “…you shall be My people, and I will be your God’’ (Jeremiah 11:4) fulfilled in Jesus? How is the statement “…I will never forget you” (Isaiah 49:15) fulfilled in Jesus?
  • The Gospel writers point out that the crowds were manipulated by the chief priests and elders. What does this teach me about today's popular culture?
  • Paul Claudel, a French poet, wrote, “Jesus did not come to explain away suffering or to remove it, He came to fill it with His presence.” Then why do I complain and avoid doing hard things for the Lord and for the people He places in my life?
  • In light of Jesus’ passion, crucifixion, and death, what new meaning is given to His words, “Whoever wishes to come after Me must deny themself, take up their cross, and follow Me?” (Matthew 16:24)

Comments