Easter Week Message: Walking with Jesus on Easter Sunday

Today we celebrate the most glorious feast for all Christians, Easter. Matthew sets the scene:

After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, approached, rolled back the stone, and sat upon it. His appearance was like lightning and his clothing was white as snow. The guards were shaken with fear of him and became like dead men. Then the angel said to the women in reply, “Do not be afraid! I know that you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for He has been raised just as He said. Come and see the place where He lay. Then go quickly and tell His disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead, and He is going before you to Galilee; there you will see Him.’ Behold, I have told you.”

What struck you most about this passage? I am so impressed with the solemnity. Everything is definitive: God’s plan from forever has arrived, and I’m present, hearing it, seeing it, feeling important, being a part of God’s plan. The other part of the scene that is not referenced is that Satan has witnessed Calvary, which he had engineered and thought he had won. He enjoyed the horror ... brutality ... the “perfect” defeat of God! How smug he was. He thought had the last laugh and the last word: Death!

But the real message of God is never lost; it is forever found and renewed.

The women are told to not be afraid. Why? I find that when I rely on myself and try to go the “alone” route, I usually mess up. But when I trust in God and ask for His presence and assistance, even if it turns out differently than I expected, there is a comfort in realizing God’s presence and care for me. I remind myself that the phase “do not be afraid” is repeated 365 times in all of the Scriptures; as one of my students said, “Hey Father, that’s how many days are in the year.” Why do I fret? I have to first look at myself and where I have placed God. Where is my faith and trust? It’s usually not with God present.

Matthew makes a point of mentioning that the angel rolled the stone away from the tomb and then sat on it. I’m sure there is significance in this. What does sitting down … and what does the stone symbolize? I feel that often I go off on a tangent and rush to “do it my way.” I have many times listened to a mentor and spiritual director tell me to slow down … be still … reflect that God is present … no need to worry … let God be part of my “dilemma.” The stone reminds me of how often I am blockheaded. Rolling it away shows me God’s light is present and I’m called to be a light to others. Am I doing this?

Mary’s role in the scene is important because she is in all four Gospel accounts and appears as a “heroine” in a male-dominated society. This is interesting, not only because Jesus chose to appear to a woman instead of Peter or John but because He chose a woman instead of a man from his inner circle to tell the others. Jesus has trust and confidence in whom He chooses. Do I? Or do I feel I am so important that it must be me? It’s not about me, it’s all about God. Do I place all my trust in me and not leave any room for God?

How do I look at the Resurrection in my world, today filled with the COVID-19 pandemic? It is an opportunity for an encounter with the Lord. Why do I say this? D.H. Lawrence writes, “The world fears a really new experience more than it fears anything.” Why? Because new experiences change us. We get very comfortable in what we are doing and we don’t really want to change. My ego likes to be in charge. Again, another reality is that the devil constantly tempts me to want to be in charge. In On the Threshold of Transformation: Daily Meditations for Men, Fr. Richard Rohr writes, “Some people want to turn a rite of passage into a psychological experience but it is meant to be an epiphany of life and a facing of its other side, our own necessary deaths. Ironically, this consideration of death causes the greatest growth spurt of all, which is why it was called ‘initiation’. You finally, truly, begin.” We do not have control of the virus ... we like to feel we have control of our lives. This virus has caused me to hesitate and make a stark pause. I look and see what God is telling me about my life here and now … and my life in eternity. I have to take precautions against getting infected, some with which I agree and others I don't. God is telling me to examine what He has told me … actually, he is commanding me to do this so I can continue to the next stage of life, with Him forever in heaven. Today I’m confronted with life and death and eternity. I never like to think in those terms because I know it means I have to do something now … today … I can’t wait … it’s more than urgent … it’s imperative. My life with God depends on it.

These recent days I’ve been quiet, living in my little condo “hermitage” and taking time to pray deeply … then celebrating my private mass … then praying the Divine Office and just continuing my day aware that I’m in God’s presence and, as always, He is leading me closer to Himself. The Holy Spirit is very active today, changing the world … changing the Church … changing our country … pleading with us to realize we are all loved and our place of life forever is with God in heaven. How am I living with this in mind?

I’m reading The Road of Hope by Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan. He talks on hope … which is a huge part of what is going through everyone’s hearts and minds. He writes:
  • The person of hope is person of prayer. The object of hope is the object of prayer. The person of hope is God’s co-worker. God looks to such a person to complete His work of creation and redemption.
  • We pray to God, but He relies on us. He established the Church as the instrument of salvation. This Church bears the responsibility for the completion of God’s work and so is our hope.
  • Always maintain a sense of hope, never allowing yourself to be discouraged by internal difficulties or petty rivalries which may arise in the apostolate.
  • Do not lose hope just because you may think you lack the means for some undertaking. … If you cannot believe this, I am afraid that your outlook has become too scientific and less apostolic.
  • There is only one way to become holy: through your willingness to conform to the grace of God. God will never be lacking in His grace, but is your will strong enough?
  • When you reach the end of your journey along the Road of Hope, the only reward awaiting you will be God himself.
So I reflect on:
  • What is the importance of the resurrection in God’s plan for salvation?
  • Is living the kind of life Jesus asks of me — completely selfless, of service to others, dedicated to growth in faith and love — a way to participate in Jesus’ death? Where can I find “instructions” on how to live this life?
  • Who is hurt by sin: God? Myself? Others? Is sin ever an isolated occurrence?
  • Why is Easter the most important time of the Christian year? How does this yearly reminder of death and resurrection of Jesus support my faith?
  • Can I spend some time reflecting on my own death and resurrection this week?

Comments