Easter Week Message: Walking With Jesus on Holy Thursday

Our Passion starts with Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the Apostles and people proclaiming:

“Hosanna to the Son of David; Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest!” (Matthew 21:10)

“Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the kingdom of our father David that is to come! Hosanna in the highest!” (Mark 11:10)

“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” (Luke 19:38)

“Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, (even) the king of Israel.” (John 12:13)

All are thinking about these words and have their own interpretation, many the same. Jesus is the Messiah. He will free us from horrible Rome and from the strict interpretation of the Law by the insensitive Pharisees. As they go into Jerusalem, each day is filled with Jesus teaching the crowds. What is occupying their minds? Passover. Passover is one of the Jewish religion’s most sacred and widely observed holidays. They have celebrated this for centuries, each with their whole family. The Passover (or Pesach in Hebrew) is a week-long festival with a number of important rituals, including a traditional Passover meal known as a seder. Unleavened products are removed from the home and matzo is substituted for bread. Stories of the exodus are retold, coupled with family traditions. I’m sure this is important for the Apostles because they are away from their families. But they are in the Holy city of Jerusalem with the magnificent Temple nearby, celebrating with their new mentor, rabbi and special person. They have no idea what will happen in a few days. They are happy, even exuberant, waiting for a special announcement about their future. They busy themselves with all the particulars for the celebration and the coming of what we call Holy Thursday.

They begin the Passover meal. Jesus starts off with a stunning statement: “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, for I tell you, I shall not eat it (again) until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.” (Luke 22:14-16.) Did He say suffer? they ask themselves. What is this suffering? Maybe it’s a new form of the liturgy. Then Luke shares how a dispute ensues, not about Jesus’ suffering but about who is going to have the big power positions in this new kingdom. We know where their minds are: Power, Possessions, Pleasure, Prestige ... the societal sins that keep us away from being Jesus’ followers. They want a part of it.

John then records Jesus washing the feet of the disciples. This is only in John. The dusty roads of the Orient make it necessary for the traveller to wash his feet upon entering a house, even if he had bathed recently. What is the sign here? Maybe it’s a lesson of thoroughly cleansing our souls before reaching the Eucharist? Again, the disciples, even Judas, go along with this after they see what happens when Peter objects. They see nothing unusual, they are still in celebration mode. Then all four accounts announce the betrayer. What a shock! What is He talking about? We are a special group. We’ve known each other and have seen the gifts the Lord has given us … we know we have been chosen. Who is going to do this to the most wonderful person we have known? We know the hierarchy is totally against Jesus, but the people are behind Him, supporting Him every step of the way. What’s happening?

Then Judas departs. They're used to him leaving; he has charge over securing necessities. Jesus takes the bread: “Take this and eat, this is My body.” Then Jesus takes the cup filled with wine. Matthew tells us: “Then He took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you, for this is My blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, from now on I shall not drink this fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it with you new in the kingdom of My Father.”

These are new words! What does this mean?

John then gives the final account: “Jesus said, ‘Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him…My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. You will look for Me, and as I told the Jews, ‘Where I go you cannot come,’ so now I say it to you. I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” This makes sense: He is the most loving, compassionate person I have known … I’ve noticed even my life has changed with Him … my swearing is ceasing … my anxiousness is calmer … I’ve noticed I’m caring more … He is a great example to follow.

They have a good passover meal. The lamb and other ritual foods are delicious along with the wine, with which there are four different traditional toasts. And they sit down and relax, still with no clue as to what will happen. They proceeed to the Garden, one of Jesus' favorite spots. They doze; perhaps daydreaming about their role in Jesus’ "kingdom" which is certainly close. They also reflect on their families and the possibility of having to relocate and sell the business. Yes, there is a lot to do in following this rabbi, they muse. But he’s worth it. And here's Judas, returning ... but not as a companion. He has brought along a crowd and the temple guards. They're after Jesus, and they're after us too! Let’s get out of here. ...

So I reflect on:
  • Holy Thursday is a sign of service: "As I have done, so are you to do ..." I am called to be a servant to others ... every person is called to do the same out of love.
  • Do I find it difficult to have others serve me? Why?
  • When speaking about service, Pope Paul VI said, "This is not charity; this is justice?" Do I sometimes act as if I am doing the other person a favor by being of service to them?
  • With the coronavirus I am keeping my social distance. And I'm finding that something is missing — I need to be doing something. What is the Lord telling me … leading me … asking me ... to do? How am I to respond with Jesus’ love and compassion?
  • Is it overwhelming to know that God wants me, a weak, sinful human being, to be involved in ministering the divine presence on earth? Why did He choose me?
In looking at the gospel accounts of the feeding of the thousands and multiplication of the loaves and fish, there are four activities of Christ coupled together: He welcomes, teaches, heals, feeds. One of the real personal hurts in the coronavirus pandemic is that so many are annoyed about missing the Eucharist. It is an honor to be able to celebrate private masses. But your absence and those of other believers is deeply felt. We encounter the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and we are the beneficiaries of these same four actions:

Christ welcomes us ... Christ teaches us ... Christ heals us ... Christ feeds us.

Comments