Today's Message: 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time A

Isaiah 58: 7-10; 1 Corinthians 2: 1-5; Matthew 5: 13-16

If I was asked to list my discouragements, it would be a long list. Why? Because I see so much hurt and evils; poverty and exploiting of the poor; rejection of help to the homeless, the persecuted and migrants; failure to stop trafficking of youth throughout the world; continued abuse in families, clerical and religious abuse; abuse all over for the sake of illicit pleasure. Countries whose politicians seem to be spreading anger and who refuse to care for their constituents, even for a sustainable Earth. One religious sister from India who works with victims of trafficking said: “Giving life to others gives you life. That becomes an energizing force for us. We look at those vulnerable people’s faces, their tears, their sufferings, and then with that compassion, we are moved to do something for them, to free them from those kinds of terrible situations which they are in.” (National Catholic Reporter 1/10/20.)

We can apply this to every person everywhere who is in need. This includes the people each of us see each day, whether we have a relationship with them or they are complete strangers. We are called to be Jesus’ disciples of love. How are we doing? How am I doing? I must ask each night as I review my day: Did I see Jesus today? Did I respond? Or did I walk by as the rich man did to Lazarus? I am called to put aside my differences and help those in need today, for God’s sake and theirs, not to make me feel good or for my own honor. The same nun I quoted above continued, “That is a movement within, and it is not humanly possible unless we have a divine strength and energy to keep it going year after year, day after day.” That is the meaning of the commandments ... the Beatitudes and Jesus’ triple command of love. I can’t do it on my own; that’s why God created me and continually gives His help so that I can be Him today. How am I doing? Where do I fail? The readings today help us in our lifelong task of being people of love.

From the very beginning of his book, Isaiah has warned the people about their lukewarm attitude in their prayers and devotions. They went through the motions in practicing their faith. They were easily distracted and thought only of themselves. Today God speaks about this complacency by spelling out the living out part of what it means to be God’s creation. In the days before the Babylonian exile, the kings and the people promoted their own interests over God’s. They then endured huge deprivations while exiled in a foreign land. They forgot about how they had been repeatedly gifted by God. Isaiah is telling them that a people who cares for the needs of the hungry and oppressed will display standards that show love and caring. This counteracts their past behavior of pride and self-interest. The bottom line is that embracing the standards of heaven will bring healing to a wounded world. Isaiah is telling them that God will continue to go before them every step of the way to protect them from falling back into their selfish ways. They felt that since they had prayed and fasted, that was enough. God responds through Isaiah, saying that the fasting He wants is to take care of one another, to remove oppression and injustice. Am I a healer of hurts? Am I a provider for the homeless and hungry? Am I a prayer for those who don’t know if they will see tomorrow? Am I getting out of myself to care and respond to those in need?

Paul finds no reason to boast about his own gifts and capabilities. He knows where he is weak and where fear lives within himself. He knows that God has saved him and he knows that God is using his gifts for the healing and help of the needy, especially the spiritually needy. He knows that he is incapable of doing anything without God’s help. Ultimately Paul tells us that living the message of Christ cannot be accomplished by using human reason; it is accomplished by and through God. Am I relying on God to help me live Jesus’ messages? Do I come on bended knee, praying and listening to God?  

Who are the people that God is calling us to see and help? Fr. Jack Robinson OFM in Franciscan Media’s Sunday Homily Helps says:
  • Many people around us hunger not only for food but also for acceptance and kind words instead of hate. They are our own.
  • Many people among us are oppressed not only by what is or has happened to them but by what they fear might happen to them, their children, their parents, their brothers and sisters. They are our own.
  • Many people around us are homeless not only because they have no roof over their heads but also for 100 different reasons — ranging from abuse, addictions, poverty, and illness — leaving them with no sense of security or safety no matter where they are. They are our own.
  • Some people around us are naked because they do not have the proper papers, the right-colored skin, or the resources to gain what will protect them from the merciless eyes of others. These people are our own.
Today's Gospel continues with Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). Jesus is emphasizing these teachings on how to be a Christian follower from the perspective of the kingdom of heaven. He addresses the challenges involved in following Him. Being a disciple has similarities to salt and light. We are the salt of the earth. Salt has two functions, as a spice and as a preservative. What happens when salt loses its taste ... when I am worn out or discouraged or give up on helping others? Don’t let this happen. Go back to the basics of what brings me closer to the Lord: prayer, sacrifice, fasting, good works ... am I involved with these? Also the Gospel message is compared to a light for the world. Matthew’s audience had expected the end of the world to be right around the corner. Since it didn’t come, the people had to go public in a big way to let people know about Jesus. The disciples and all followers are to be light to the world. Let others see what it means to be followers of Jesus, centered on loving, forgiving, compassion, and mercy. Can people see these in me? Or do I hide my gifts and use them just for me? Each Christian is challenged to do something, no matter how big or small, and do it continually. God is always helping us ... there is no problem too big for God. He uses our hearts, hands, feet, mouth, ears ... to fill others with Jesus’ caring love. How am I doing; where do I need help?

So I reflect on:
  • Sometimes living in the darkness is too much. We can’t overcome it by ourselves. We become discouraged. Do I rely on God’s presence and care in leading me?
  • One compared our response by saying that as Jesus’ love-givers we belong to a team. On any team, some sit on the sidelines while others participate. Am I willing to train with the team so I can play in the game? What spiritual exercises are needed to make me stronger? Do I rely on God?
Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Salt purifies, seasons, and preserves. Jesus wants us, by our gospel-centered lives, to be a distinctive seasoning in our communities.

“I am to let the message of Jesus shine out through my words and actions. Goodness lights up both the giver and the recipients. I stand up for the just rights of God’s ‘little ones.’ I work for a world of kindness, peace, and love.”

Comments