Today's Message: Epiphany of the Lord A

Isaiah 60: 1-6; Ephesians 3: 2-3, 5-6; Matthew 2: 1-12

The Manger scene has a great deal of significance. Most of the world is familiar with Jesus’ birth to Mary and Joseph. It is a story of expectation and hope. It is story of intrigue and fear coupled with immense love for us. Even the ‘showing of the manger’ in our churches has significance. First the ‘shed’ or ‘cave’ appears … then come the figures of Mary and Joseph and the empty crib … then comes the baby Jesus on Christmas Eve and the shepherds and sheep … then this weekend come the magi and animals and gifts. This slowly developing scene helps us to prolong the beauty of Christmas adding more layers of love, devotion, faith building and God’s love for every individual every created. It makes this beautiful feast more than a one-day event and prolongs it for a season that lasts almost three weeks. The slowness of this enfolding involves whole families, including the children with their own excitement and dreams becoming reality. So much of the accompanying symbols add to the meaning of Christmas and of this joy-filled and happy laden season. 

C.S. Lewis wrote the following words in A World Awaits:

It is an old and pious saying that Christ died not only for Man but for each man, just as much as if each had been the only man there was. Can I not believe the same of this creative act which, as spread out in time, we call destiny or history? It is for each human soul. Each is an end. Perhaps for each beast. Perhaps even each particle of matter — the night sky suggests that the inanimate also has for God some value we cannot imagine. His ways are not (not there, anyway) like ours.

If you ask why I believe all this, I can only reply that we are taught, both by precept and example, to pray. … One of the purposes for which God instituted prayer may have been to bear witness that the course of events is not governed like a state but created like a work of art to which every being makes its contribution and (in prayer) a conscious contribution, and in which every being is both an end and a means. … The great work of art was made for the sake of all it does and is, down to the curve of every wave and the flight of every insect.” 

Let us look into the insights of todays readings for a continuance of God’s message of love and hope.

The beginning of the book of Isaiah presents a vision of God’s hope for all nations. Today’s reading appearing at the end of his book shows the bond re-attaching the people to their true purpose as servants of God. They had frequently been unfaithful to God … had endured exile in captivity and exile from Jerusalem and now have returned and are rebuilding themselves, their faith, their beloved Jerusalem. The nations will take Israel’s model of devotion to God which had been weakened by ignorance and violence but now exists in faith and devotion to God. God is a God for all nations and all people. God has repeatedly showered His help and grace to lead people to the fulfillment of His promise: live forever with the Lord in heaven as His servants of love. 

Paul in Ephesians explores and enlarges God’s relationship with Israel to include all people, all Gentiles, those of all religions, cultures even those with no religion to extend God’s kingdom of love and grace to all peoples. The crux of these promises is founded solely on the graciousness of God to all of His creation. As God’s creatures we cannot in any way earn this reward. There is nothing for us to do to become closer or more worthy of our place in heaven. All are welcomed. Am I open to respond as Mary did with her YES and as Joseph did with his YES? Saying Yes to God is living in love. How well do I do this?

The Gospel from Matthew continues this detailed drama, focusing on the rejection of Israel to Jesus and His acceptance by the gentiles. God is directing the course of Salvation History. The magi arrive in search of this special, much-awaited messenger from God. Herod is shocked that someone ‘dares’ to interfere with his easy life of luxury and prestige. Jesus’ kingship and tiny-ness is a threat to their revelry. Herod attempts to fool these wisdom-seekers to show that he is interested in worshiping this infant ... in reality he wants this child out of the way, forever. He is a contender to his own throne. Eliminate Him! The uniqueness of the story shows that the gifts of the magi are very expensive and totally fitting for a king. But at the same time the magi do not find it inappropriate to find this ‘newborn’ king in a manger, animal shelter, sleeping. These men are models of faith. They can see through outward appearances and see God in people. What is this image of God like? They recognized the importance of the moment and that each person is special and loved by God. Is life just a bunch of happenings that God observes and doesn’t care about? Is God actively involved in loving me and loving those who love me so that I can love? Do I feel that there is real meaning behind life’s experiences? Or are life’s moments unconnected and we are at the mercy of chance? Do I think of God in the same way I did as a child or am I constantly seeing that God is a God of surprises … life and love … helping and caring … forming people into people of love? Do I believe that faith is a journey and if I am open to God, God will lead me to where I need to go — to be with Him forever in Heaven with Him? Do I believe that God is found only in those important places, churches, homes of worship or is God found all over … even in places where I least expect Him? Do I take my faith for granted and close the door to a God who is a God of surprises and love-caring? 
Today's feast summing up the Christmas season shows that I cannot categorically limit God’s love. The shepherds were the rejected people of Israel … they were thieves … dirty … spies for invading armies. The magi were foreigners … different religions … different in dress and culture and prone to be avoided in suspicion. The manger was never the place any parent wanted their baby born … in the cold … large animals feeding and manuring. Escaping to Egypt for safety is not what a parent wants … living in fear … is never a desirable option. … Our God was present and loving in all these situations as He is in every situation of my life. 

So I reflect on:
     Where do I search for Jesus in my daily life?
     Is my life ever the ‘star’ that someone else may need in order to find and identify Jesus?
     How do I honor and praise Jesus?
     The shepherds, the magi, Mary and Joseph trusted … do I?

Sacred Space 2020 states:
The wise men saw the star and steadily followed it. The people of Jerusalem did not. What star am I being called to follow this year? What gifts from my treasure chest will I offer Jesus in service of His mission? Lord, send me out each day to be a bearer of Your love to all I encounter.
Life is sometimes full of questions, seeking, and searching.  I pray that I may always seek the truth and that I might recognize it when God puts it in my path.”    

Comments