Today's Message: 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Isaiah 8: 23-9:3; 1 Corinthians 1: 10-13, 17; Matthew 4: 12-23

How is my relationship with God going? Am I on the right road or do I see myself settling into the same old pattern? Am I excited about the prospect of finding God in new ways in my life each day? Do I take time to examine what has happened each day and where did I see God’s love for me and for others? Do I find that each day is an opportunity to live a deeper life with God and for God?

Franciscan Media’s Sunday Homily Helps adds these questions: “Are you looking for God in all the wrong places? When we need to talk with people, we use our phones. God doesn’t seem to have His cell phone turned on. Could it be that the reverse is true? Is God calling us on spiritual phones that we have turned off? God makes the first call, and we respond — after we have received a divinely constant outpouring of mercy, forgiveness compassion and love?” Today’s readings explore the words of Jesus to “Come after Me … Follow Me.” We do hear this…and then we follow “in our way.” I tend to stay away from the suffering and sacrifices involved in following the Lord’s way. Even though the invitation from Jesus seems simple enough, I tend to do what I want to do and when I want to do it. Following means that I leave things behind me; this could and should change my life. We look to the readings for help.

Earlier in today’s chapter, God instructed Isaiah to write letters concerning Israel’s failure to listen and respond to God. These letters were given to Isaiah’s disciples so that they could remind the people where they are failing in God’s commands. The people have been easily misled and followed the “easy life” and needed to be reminded to make better choices. Isaiah today is envisioning the day when people listen to God. Very unfortunately they do this only after suffering jarring consequences of being misled by others. The people in the northern regions have been listening to false prophets and sages and as a result have been conquered by the empire of Assyria. Isaiah reminds them that was a time of darkness … gloom … distress; now they “… have seen a great light … a light has shone” because of their faith in God. Finally their years of fear and hardship are over. Isaiah hints at the birth of a new Davidic king (8: 5-6 ). The underlying question remains: What are you going to do about it? It is a question that should be daily on my lips: Look how God has blessed me today and been with me, what am I going to do? Do I feel that I deserve these blessings? Do I feel that they come with God’s love so that I can be grateful by showing my love? Do I avoid even purposely the command that Jesus gave to love all, especially those in most need and those that I really don’t like? How do I try to interpret God’s words to me; is it like the Israelites who only listened to what they wanted to hear?

The Corinthians were troubling to Paul because of the divisions that arose in their community. They were used to "belonging … following" a particular teacher or group and reveled in these. Paul tells them in the society they live in they enjoyed a certain teacher, or political group or even social group but the church of Christ is formed totally around Jesus Himself. Jesus didn’t teach one way of acting for the rich and the poor … for the political leaders or religious leaders … for those of different cultures or those native born. All are loved by God and all are to be loved by all. Paul points to the cross of Jesus. The cross shows us Jesus’ suffering and unconditional love. It shows His dedication, sacrifice and purpose. Jesus died on the cross for our salvation. The question remains for the Corinthians and each one of us: ‘What am I going to do in response to all this love?

Matthew has finished his account of the birth of Jesus, the visit of the shepherds and magi, the massacre of the infants, the holy family’s flight to Egypt, the preaching of John the Baptist, Jesus’ Baptism and His desert experience. Now Jesus begins His ministry. Jesus certainly has undergone intense preparation and been subjected to the horrendous temptations by the devil. John the Baptist has been arrested by Herod and Jesus is now the central figure. Matthew was Jewish and writes his gospel to his fellow Jewish community. He repeatedly points out the roots of Jesus and how He fulfilled all the prophecies concerning the Messiah. But Matthew’s main point is to show how God unfolds the divine plan of salvation. Jesus begins and says, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” This is more than a continuance of John the Baptist’s teaching, “Repent for the kingdom is at hand.” With Jesus there is absolute urgency in His announcement. John said this ‘kingdom’ is ‘on its way.’ Jesus is telling us all that the kingdom is ALREADY HERE. It is present now, in the person of Jesus, the Christ, the Messiah. It is present in the ministry of Jesus: all His words, all His and all His love. Everything that Jesus says and does is connected to this proclamation. Again the question:  What am I going to do about this?

Some might have heard the first part of the Gospel verses 12-17 in Church today, but the full Gospel the Church gives today is Jesus calling two sets of brothers (Peter & Andrew, James & John) to help in His ministry. This is a POWERFUL message:  Jesus selects disciples from ordinary life. Now the fishing industry provided a good life and these four were partners in business. They responded immediately … dropping their nets … leaving their families and followed Jesus. No hesitation. No going back and checking with their families and relatives. This seems so strange …yet it tells us about the magnetism of Jesus. As their time with Jesus grew they realized more the challenges they would face. Their ministry is straight forward:  preach and live the gospel by your words and example; heal the sick, responding with love to those in need.  It is interesting the questions Matthew never brings about leaving all: How will they eat? Who will run their businesses? How will they deal with fear and anxiety in being love people? Worry seizes each of us too. The question remains: How am I responding to God’s call to come, follow Me and being people of love?

I reflect on:

The call of Jesus is an unrelenting call to leave everything behind. What are my worries? In what ways is it hard to trust?

Isaiah talks about doom and gloom and then suddenly describes a new light that will come? I look at the times I was in darkness and then a great light. Did I see God in this light?  What did I do?
I reflect on why the disciples followed Jesus? What was there about Jesus that made them swallow their doubts and fears?

Sacred Space 2020 states:

“Here we see the big picture of the extent and depth of what Jesus comes to do. He wants us to repent or to undergo a complete change in the way we see and value everything. We are also told of how Jesus effects this by attracting people so that they leave everything in order to be with Him and enter His vision of them.

If you wish to engage in the profound nature of Jesus’ love and dream for you, ponder any aspect of this love that appeals to you. Talk to Jesus about this and especially how you are moved by His love and His desire that you be with Him as friend and companion worker.”

Comments