Today's Message: 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time C

Isaiah 66: 18-21; Hebrews 12: 5-7, 11-13; Luke 13: 22-30

What do we know:  the world will end.  All living things that we know will come to their end.  You and I know that we came into this world, not of our own accord…and we will leave the world at a time we do not know.  We don’t think about this probably because we don’t want to think about it.  I am closer to the end of my days than I am looking back to the beginning of my days.   Am I afraid…no I’m not.  Am I looking to the time of heaven forever…yes, I am.   The readings today plead with me to look at the time now till the time of the end of my earthly sojourn.  I like the word, sojourn…its synonyms are:  stay, visit, stop, stopover, residence, draw to a close, conclude, terminate, fade away.  I like the British informal definition, to stay somewhere for a short time…’you’ll have to stop the night’.  I don’t think most people want to hear this concerning our time on earth…we just want it to be a place that continues on and on.  Why?  I think its because people do not want to think of what the ramifications of a short stay means especially concerning the ‘next plac’…the place beyond our sojourn…heaven is the name given by religious denominations.  Its definition is ‘a place regarded in various religions as the abode of God (or the gods) and the angels, and of the good after death, often traditionally depicted as being above the sky.  (I googled the definitions of sojourn and heaven.)  I have found that people do not want to think about, talk about, discuss their own future after their time on earth.  This would mean that they have to make a decision as to how they should be preparing and living up to these ‘last days’.  This is today’s theme. 

In the beginning of Isaiah, the prophet gives one of his oracles.  He is looking forward to an ideal time when all the nations would gather in Jerusalem to learn from God and give praise.  “In the days to come, the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established as the highest mountain and raised above the hills.  All nations shall stream toward it; many peoples shall come and say:  ‘Come, let us climb the Lord’s mountain, to the house of the God of Jacob, that He may instruct us in His ways, and we may walk in His paths.  For from Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.  He shall judge between the nations, and impose terms for many peoples.  They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; One nation shall not raise the sword against another, nor shall they train for war again.”  (Isaiah 2: 2-4).  Today’s reading is from the last chapter and returns to this theme.  God is aware of those who are loyal and those who choose to ignore Him and pursue their own agenda.  God will gather people from every nation in Jerusalem to show what He has been doing for their spiritual benefit and all will see God’s glory.  No one will be a foreigner but all will be brothers and sisters to God’s holy people.  In today’s idyllic scene, animals once used as war animals and for trade, will now be used as transports bringing all people to God’s holy mountain.  All nations will join the Israelites in making offerings to God.  This is depicted as fulfilling the ideal relationship between God and humanity.  Where will I be?  

The bottom line:  In the final days, we all will be called to come before God in hopes of entering heaven.  The entrance way is narrow meaning that I have to discipline myself and concentrate on fulfilling the entrance requirements, being devoted and committed to the ways of the Lord.  Once I come before the Lord, there is no turning back and mending my ways.  So now, how am I doing? 

Paul tells us the how:  Jesus’ blood has redeemed us.  Mary Lynne Rapien, a counselor, puts it this way, “Jesus had nothing to gain for Himself by becoming human.  Though God, He embraced humanity with all the limits of time and space, suffering and pain, hunger and rejection.”    WHY?  To show God’s total, complete and uncompromising love for every person.  All that God does is done for you and me!  Even if it doesn’t make sense to us, we trust that God knows what He is doing. Our challenges on our earthly sojourn are just that, challenges.  They give us strength to weather through the storm knowing that God is with us because that is what God does.  He does not abandon us.  He continually loves us.  

Luke is telling us that Jesus is showing us this love:  in the Gospel He is continuing His final journey to Jerusalem.  This will be the site of His final clash with the authorities and His death by crucifixion.  Luke shows us with each stop along the way, the urgency of decision making and choosing God and His way is upon us.  Thus far His message has received far more rejection that acceptance.  How am I doing in this?  Do I realize that the time is Now for me?    

Someone asks Jesus specifically, “Lord, will only a few people be saved?”  Jesus, as always, does not beat around the bush in telling us about the judgment at the end of the world.  His parables help us understand and prepare for this time.  Today, He is telling us that the gate and the entrance way is tight…the door could be closed when a person approaches.  Now just imagine…the horror of coming to the door and hearing Jesus say, “Depart from Me, all you evildoers!”  Is this possible?  These are Jesus’ words.  Is He serious?  When has Jesus not been serious?  Is He talking to me?  He always is talking to me!  Jesus is not sugar coating the Gospel of love.  Every person is loved and is needed to love.  Have I been learning from Jesus and living the life of love He continually taught and proved over and over?  What am I to do?  A Devotional Commentary on Luke states: “First we ought to be certain in our hearts that we have indeed ‘entered though the narrow door.’  Without allowing our own sense of self-esteem to cloud our analysis, we need to ask the Holy Spirit to show us our true condition before God.  Once we have acknowledged the depth of our sins and our need for Jesus, we can put our hope in Christ, for ‘God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:17)
Having entered through the narrow door of faith in Christ, we are safe in God’s stronghold.  “He who believes in Him is not condemned [John 3:18].  No longer need we fear the day that the owner of the house will shut the door against us.  We are already inside!  Henceforth, our goal will not be to get in but to stay in.  Satan may attack us—with doubts, fears, resentments, discouragement, and accusations.  He may try to persuade us that we are still out in the cold.  Worldly occupations and pleasures may seek to dull our desire for the life that Jesus offers.  We must stand fast in faith!  If we abide in Christ, we need never fear.  ‘This is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith’.  (1 John 5:4)  

I reflect on: 
  • What does my faith ask of me?
  • Where are my difficulties in living the gospel values?  Do I think Jesus understands my weakness?  Do I ask for His help?  Or do I give up?  Why?
  • Do I reflect each day on God’s love to me?

Sacred Space 2019 states:   
   “Imagine the gentle preacher entering your town today.  People are asking Him questions, and He answers using images that immediately strike home.  He is meek but not weak.  He confronts conflict squarely rather than avoiding it.  And His standards are always high.  This is no watered-down, easy message.  But it is within our reach.

   So old and young, rich and poor, powerful and powerless hear a challenge. This ’kingdom of God’ is a wholly new concept He puts before them.  Everybody appears to be welcomed and some of those who ‘made it’ will surprise us. But entry is not without a struggle. What will that struggle be for you?”

Comments