Today's Message: 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time C

Genesis 18: 1-10; Colossians 1: 24-28;  Luke 10: 38-42

Todays readings present us with some interesting questions:
Can people see Christ in me?
Each person in today’s readings had  different gifts for showing hospitality?  What are mine?
I see so many people in a day…do I pay attention to them?  Am I aware of needs they may be showing to me?  Do I care?
Am I responsive to the suffering in people close to me?  Do I avoid people who are pestering me?  
Do I put people into classifications?  

In Hebrews 13: 1-2, Paul writes:  “Let mutual love continue.  Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels.”  I’m sure Paul was aware of Abraham’s encounter with the three men.  At this point in his faith journey, Abraham is still learning to trust in God.  God promised that his descendants would be more numerous than the stars. He is still hesitant, his wife is old, wouldn’t we be in the same shoes?  He even has made plans to secure an heir through his wife’s maid.  Suddenly these three men appear.  What to do?  Nomadic people then and now hold on to a particular code of desert hospitality.  This obligates them to offer food, water and lodging for up to three days.  This universal ‘code’ may help to explain the resentment of James and John against certain rude Samaritans (Luke 9:52-56).   In the early Church, people considered one principal part of their Christian duty consisted in  showing hospitality to strangers (Romans 12:13).  Even today this is prevalent in the Eastern world.  Now Abraham seemingly wants these ‘guests’ to stay and he will bring them a “little food, that you may refresh yourselves; and afterward you may go on your way.”  Well, this small meal turns into a huge banquet.  Abraham is certainly going out of his way to impress these visitors.  Is this a ‘subtle’ hint for each of us to go ‘beyond the call of duty to help’?  This would be a good reflection seeing if we ‘just do the minimum in loving’?  Now the visitors ask about Sarah and share that she will have a son born to her a year later.  Sarah overhears this…Genesis 18:12 states:  “So Sarah laughed to herself and said, ‘Now that I am so withered and my husbands so old, am I still to have sexual pleasure?”    The answer was YES…you will have a son! 

In today’s reading from Colossians, Paul makes an amazing statement, “I rejoice… in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in  the afflictions of Christ…”  Our initial reaction might be that somehow Jesus’ sufferings on the cross were somehow “lacking…”  Scripture scholars tells us this is not the case.  Most scholars feel  that Paul means this in an apocalyptic way… signs that must be endured before the end times.  In other words, the suffering that must be endured by each Christian before Christ’s return at the end of the age.  Paul is telling the Colossians of his own suffering.  He is rejoicing in these hardships because Jesus suffered for all of us.  And being a minister, he and each one of us as being ministers of the Gospel who love God have a similar mission.  Put simply we are to be convinced and must share that Christ is in each of us.  And Christ and the Spirit within each is bringing the hope of the glorious things to come.  God is love and loves all.  They can only see this if they see this love in each of us.  So is our love noticeable?  Do I love till it hurts or is my love more of convenience?    Do I realize that living the Gospel ethic and teachings of Jesus regularly presents hardships?  People are not inclined to love…they are more inclined to think of themselves.  Where am I in this?

Today’s gospel story of Martha and Mary is very familiar to believers and unbelievers.  The traditional comments:  Are you more a Mary or more a Martha?  Most often I hear, ‘I’m a Martha…I could never be a Mary?’  Martha is too distracted to ‘her duty’ of providing hospitality while her sister sets aside everything to sit and listen to Jesus’ every word.  Do I take time to sit and listen to Jesus?  Do I  always have to be doing something?  How hard is it for me to sit and be still and let Jesus just be present to me?  The general conclusion is a warning not to be so distracted with what’s happening in my world so that I don’t miss opportunities to be present to the Lord.  But there is more for us to reflect on…like what is expected of me?  The rules of hospitality dictated that only the ‘male of the house’ engaged a male visitor in conversation.  The women would provide refreshments to eat and drink, but never to remain in the men’s presence and definitely not to engage in conversation.  Another surprise from Jesus:  explaining how ALL people are equal in God’s eyes.  There is no distinction between sexes, cultures, religions.  We are all one and are all loved.  Just look at the scene:  when Jesus arrived, Martha greeted Him as expected but Mary took a position at His feet to listen to Him talk. This would be considered shameful and a violation of hospitality.  Mary had violated the strict gender laws.  Martha knew this and was trying to smooth this over by ‘demanding’ that she needed help in the kitchen.  Again Jesus steps in and gives a detailed explanation of what the God’s love law  means:  Mary has chosen the better part.  Martha is shocked.  There are no boundaries when it comes to being in the presence of the Lord.  How do I respond to Martha’s hospitality and Mary’s encountering Jesus?  Do I try to ‘be busy’ and feel that in being active…and working…and saying prayers and doing novenas etc that I am too busy to sit with the Lord and listen?   Down through the ages, roles have been assigned.  Jesus broke all rules and better clarified the law of love.  He consistently compared God’s love to the love existing between the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  Sadly throughout history, the masculine gender has not been welcoming.  Could this be why Jesus is giving the example of two women whom he loved?  Why is it that Lazarus is not mentioned?    Judy Schueneman in Sunday Homily Helps states:
“Change is never easy, yet as Jesus foretold in His words to Martha, there comes a time to let go of what has been and accept what can be.  As we come to the Eucharist where the bread and wine are changed into the Body and Blood of  Christ, we ask for the courage to hear the words of Jesus, ‘Mary has chosen the better part.”

So I reflect on:
  • Who has recently welcomed me with open arms? Have I ever felt unwelcome?  If so, what was the rationale?
  • How have I experienced God’s care for me?  Who or what has shown this to me? 
  • Do I ever get more involved in the details like Mary and forget to rely on God?
  • Do I ever take time to sit at the Lord’s feet?

Sacred Space 2019 states:
   “Some Scripture scholars remark that this gospel passages is less about work versus prayer and more about breaking boundaries.  They understand that sitting at Jesus’ feet or listening to any rabbi was reserved for men only.  They in turn would become teachers of faith.  But here, Mary has stepped out of the traditional role where she should be in women’s quarters, and Jesus fully approves, inviting Martha to do the same.

   I thank the Lord that I have responded to His invitation today and enjoy listening to Him.”

Comments